Hot water heater/tank questions

woolfgo

i havent been able to light my pilot light to my hot water heater. i read some things trying to maybe understand why it wouldnt light. my propane throughut the coach works great, read somthign that said if the hot water tank is empty the pilot wont light. not sure if that is true. also im not hooked up to a hose always, i usally just fill my fresh water tank whenvever its empty, could that be an issue? if the hot water tank is empty how do i fill it? i read that if i keep my water pump on it will automatically fill it from my fresh water tank. is this true? any advice greatly appreciated! thanks in advanced

If water is running from your hot water taps it's full with one caveat your hot water tank may have a by pass system. One sure way to tell would be to open the pressure relief valve at the tank with the pump on. If water comes out your tank is full. Now the knob has to be turned to pilot setting and you'll have to hold the red button down as you try to light the pilot. It is a very small flame and wind will drive you nuts. Once it is lit continue to hold the button for a while then turn the control on and the heater side should light.

I have never heard of a safety that keeps the pilot light from being lit if the heater tank is empty.  I replaced the original water heater in my Escaper and neither the original nor the replacement had any kind of interlock.  The only electrical hookup on the water heater is the power for the direct ignition.  Have you tried to loosen the gas line to see if you are getting gas to the gas control?

The water heater has a thermocoupler. It fails the pilot light won't stay lit.

• 2 months later...

The hot out flow on your water tank is not at the bottom. So if no water comes in there will still be water in the tank. The heater will cycle on and off to keep the temp at the setting but it will just stay off more cause it's not heating any new cold water. Same as turning off the water supply in your home to work on the pipes. You leave the water heater alone. All it does is waste propane

Linda S