Maxx Everstart 24dc, is it a good battery?

Bikemike

I needed to get a new coach battery in a pinch on a recent burry cold night in Wyoming. So I picked up a Maxx-24dc at Walmart. Th 24 was the largest one that fit in the battery box. It kept the furnace going all night. Although, Recently I had a little trouble with the furnace not igniting. I wonder if this was a problem with the sail switch though since the battery was reading 12.6v and above. Now it's igniting. Intermittent sail switch problems?  Anyway, just wonder about an expert opinion on Walmart "deep cycle" batteries. 

Thanks, Michael. 

Normally the Maxx is a good battery.  A quick check to see if its low battery or something else start the engine and then try the heater.

Edited by WME

I only buy the Maxx 24 battery. They have always lasted 5 years or more. I would check the water in it just in case. Mistakes can happen. If low use only distilled water to fill, not purified water. I usually check mine before I even install them. Never had a Maxx be low but can't hurt to look

Linda S

6 hours ago, WME said:

Normally the Maxx is a good battery.  A quick check to see if its low battery or something else start the engine and then try the heater.

Yes, when I started the engine or plugged into shore power the firnace started up. Otherwise, it didn't ignight.  Even after being plugged into shore power for days. Then again, last night, it ignighted without being plugged in or engine running???  So, I wonder about a sail switch problem??? Or, maybe I don't have a very good ground??? When I dropped the grey water tank a while back, I noticed a very corroded looking grounding point near the rear left wheel well. Which is where the coach battery is located. 

Maybe it would be better to move the grounding point to a less corrosion prone area of the vehicle. 

Yes a good ground is MOST important. About 90% of electrical problems are ground  related.

On December 26, 2016 at 9:18 AM, WME said:

Yes a good ground is MOST important. About 90% of electrical problems are ground  related.

On December 26, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Derek up North said:

I'd say not necessary. Take apart, clean/sand and reassemble with dielectric grease. Should last another 30 years.

That was it!  A previous owner had rendered one of the grounding points for the coach electrical system nearly useless. I was able to pull the wires out by hand!  And with a small cloud of dust!

With this one set of (three) wires pulled loose from their grounding point the furnace blower would turn on but would not ignite. Once I cleaned up, repaired and replaced the grounding wires/point with dielectric grease the furnace lit right up!

The furnace had been working before a recent trip through Wyoming. I wonder if salts on the road had corroded the insufficiently clamped wires just enough to break the circuit. I'm so thankful that it didn't happen during our single digit time in that state. 

I don't think Wyoming was your problem, but 30 years of everything bad.

that is what I use.   I am satisfied.   Deep cycle life is based on 1) keeping it charged & 2) how many cycles (deeper discharges shorten the total number).

I think Wally's world gives a 1 year warranty on deep cycle batteries.  No prorating.   I have gotten 2 years on mine, I think it is not holding as good as a charge lately.  May get it tested.   Walmart's are everywhere so getting a new one is convenient.

I think they are made by Johnson Controls - which IMO has a good reputation, one of the better if not the best in basic lead acid batteries.

• Derek up North changed the title to Maxx Everstart 24dc, is it a good battery?