Switching to external propane tank questions

woolfgo

I currently live in my 87 Odyssey on some property and have it all jacked up and would rather not drive it off the property to fill up the propane. Is it pretty easy to hook up an external propane tank to the other one and how do I do it? That way I could just throw the external one in the car and go get it filled when I need to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advanced!

woolf

Fairly simple but costs a couple dollars.  

I am NOT recommending this kit, simply using it as and example, others are available at varied costs. Also called an extend a stay kit.

toy.PNG

Edited by jjrbus

thank you! very helpful. is there anything wrong with doing it this way? just unnatatching the hose and regulater from on board tank and reconnecting it to a 5 gal?

10 hours ago, jjrbus said:

Fairly simple but costs a couple dollars.  

I am NOT recommending this kit, simply using it as and example, others are available at varied costs. Also called an extend a stay kit.

toy.PNG

I see no issue with doing it that way, but personally prefer the extend a stay kit. Without the kit I can promise that you will run out of propane in the middle of the night on a holiday weekend during the worst weather the area has experienced in decades and your flashlight batteries will be dead  : )

It should be noted that the hookup was not tested with a soap and water solution, just hooked up and done!  Jim

16 hours ago, linda s said:

No yellow tape, no proper seal. Might be fine for a barbeque but do really want to be hooked up that way a few feet from where you sleep. Both of those installations give me the creeps

Linda S

wat do you think is the best way to do it? 

17 hours ago, linda s said:

No yellow tape, no proper seal. Might be fine for a barbeque but do really want to be hooked up that way a few feet from where you sleep. Both of those installations give me the creeps

Linda S

I'm with you Linda. My tank is hard piped with 3/8" copper gas line. Yellow tape would not be necessary in this installation as its a flare fitting, probably with a rubber O-ring at the end.

Still, no soapy water check for leaks. And what happens if the tank gets knocked over while your asleep.

The problem I have with You Tube University is anyone can post a video. I'm sure plenty of people have been injured by following instructions posted by someone who really doesn't know what they're doing.

3 hours ago, linda s said:

When I replaced my regulator it did not seal just screwing it in. Called the RV place and they said I needed the yellow tape. Worked perfectly and no leaks since. Can't imagine taking it off multiple times and having it not leak.

Linda S

This is the POL fitting that screws into your tank valve. It is flared with an o-ring where it seats into the valve body.

Putting yellow tape on the threads would do nothing to prevent a leak. If its going to leak past the flare, the gas would follow the pipe to the outside (path of least resistance.

the other threaded end MIP, would screw into the regulator itself. This you would use yellow tape on.

WP_20161220_06_31_54_Pro.jpg

15 hours ago, linda s said:

When I replaced my regulator it did not seal just screwing it in. Called the RV place and they said I needed the yellow tape. Worked perfectly and no leaks since. Can't imagine taking it off multiple times and having it not leak.

Linda S

what is yellow tape and where doi buy some?

thank u for advice! greatly appreciated

Woolfgo:

I found mine at LOWE'S . Pretty sure Home Depot sells it too. You will find it in the plumbing dept. Yellow is for gas lines  and is Teflon, if I can remember right.  They sell pink , white and also yellow.  Each one is for different applications. It takes place of pipe dope in some cases.

Homer

Edited by Homer

Pretty much any hardware store should have the yellow tape but ask for gas tape to make sure you get the right thing. If it was me, I understand your wanting to not have to move your rig, I would install the extend a stay device carefully to your tank with the tape and then use the 12 foot line that comes with it to run away from your rig. Then the tank your taking off and reinstalling is far from your sleeping area and the wind will blow away anything that leaks. Might be a good idea to pound a strong hook into the ground to support the edge of the portable tank so it doesn't tip over too. If your in the boonies, like there are boonies in Marin, even a raccoon or deer can tip a tank over. Something like this but adjust it so the tank is still sitting on the ground.

https://www.google.com/search?q=steel+hook+in+ground&biw=1093&bih=498&tbm=isch&imgil=_4uT5n8lxc3XhM%3A%3BL_GQcQl-BrixRM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.plowhearth.com%252Fsolid-steel-in-ground-single-hanger-shepherds-hook-hanger.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=_4uT5n8lxc3XhM%3A%2CL_GQcQl-BrixRM%2C_&usg=__JlLoOPF_9bhOgo-v-gCfoaEjkwg%3D&ved=0ahUKEwinn8T2xYTRAhVFKGMKHac5DjsQyjcITw&ei=GxJaWOelMsXQjAOn87jYAw#imgrc=_4uT5n8lxc3XhM%3A

Probably lots of ways to do this but you'll think of something

Linda S