What part is this?

kylemaggy

Hey all, I just recently purchased an 85 Toyota Shasta. It was running fine for the first few weeks and then the other day it died mid-use and would not start back up. Both batteries are good, coach electricity still works, but vehicle won't start. I traced the issue back to the attached part. Is this the battery isolator switch? Or is it some other part? Anyone know where i can find a replacement, I can't get a good read on the worn part number? I managed to bypass it to start the vehicle but now even when the key is out of the ignition the battery and oil lights on the dash stay illuminated, and only turn off when the vehicle turns on. So i have been unhooking the battery when  not using the vehicle... Any advice helps. I'm new to this but trying to learn. Thanks!

unnamed.jpg

It is your isolator that is no longer an isolator it has been by passed so it is possible to kill your truck battery when you are using the battery powered stuff in the coach. Having no ideal where your wires go it is possible one of the wires goes to the small pin on the isolator and it is now connected to some thing that has power from one of the batteries that being the case it is back feeding the wiring keeping the light etc. on. The isolator relay can be had at any good auto parts store make sure they understand it is an isolator relay.

Edited by Maineah

2 hours ago, Maineah said:

It is your isolator that is no longer an isolator it has been by passed so it is possible to kill your truck battery when you are using the battery powered stuff in the coach. Having no ideal where your wires go it is possible one of the wires goes to the small pin on the isolator and it is now connected to some thing that has power from one of the batteries that being the case it is back feeding the wiring keeping the light etc. on. The isolator relay can be had at any good auto parts store make sure they understand it is an isolator relay.

Do you or does anyone else have a link to an isolator that would work?

it is a solenoid that isolates start battery when engine alternator is nto running.  The little wire on my rv goes to a hot circuit on the windshield wiper. 

The solenoid LOOKS like a common older ford starting solenoid - you do NOT want one of those.  they are high draw short duty.  We need low draw long duty.

Attached is the receipt where I replaced mine from an RV dealer. I also changed the 2 CB's that were in my circuit.  Got those at NAPA  782-3006. $9 each.

2010-09-07-warrior-new-solenoid2.JPG

On 12/14/2016 at 1:05 PM, kylemaggy said:

Also, this is where the wires are going.

Isolator Diagram.jpg

OK if that is true you probably have two coach batteries it's kind of a complicated fix for a simple job but it should work. The alternator wire should go directly to the truck battery and probably does. So if that's were every thing goes replace the relay and put a ring terminal on the small post wire!

I've seen this weird wire setup before recently. The output from the isolator  goes to the first CB, then to one terminal of the 2nd CB. The battery feed wire connected to the same terminal, this is the charge circuit. The coach power circuit is the same battery wire back through the 2nd CB and then to coach power panel.

It ends up with 2 long wires to power the coach. IF the coach battery is under the hood then this isn't a bad setup. IF the coach battery is in the coach then there is a possibility of a large v drop.

10 hours ago, WME said:

I've seen this weird wire setup before recently. The output from the isolator  goes to the first CB, then to one terminal of the 2nd CB. The battery feed wire connected to the same terminal, this is the charge circuit. The coach power circuit is the same battery wire back through the 2nd CB and then to coach power panel.

It ends up with 2 long wires to power the coach. IF the coach battery is under the hood then this isn't a bad setup. IF the coach battery is in the coach then there is a possibility of a large v drop.

Yes it would be far better off to use a heavy cable to the coach and a smaller one from battery to battery in the coach there really is no need for two wires.

There is usually only one battery.

On 12/22/2016 at 10:29 AM, fred heath said:

This company makes really good products. I've had the 80 amp for over 3 years, no problems.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46581_NVX-BIR80.html

HOw do you guy's keep coming up with these great products,  now I have something else to bookmark :D

The issue is I have about 8000 items bookmarked and will not be able to find anything!     Jim

Yeah I have dozens of sites marked and have no ideal why even after I open them seemed like a good thing to do at the time.

3 hours ago, jjrbus said:

HOw do you guy's keep coming up with these great products,  now I have something else to bookmark :D

The issue is I have about 8000 items bookmarked and will not be able to find anything!     Jim

They are the same thing used on snow plow pumps if you are some where near  where it snows an auto parts store will stock them.

2 hours ago, Maineah said:

They are the same thing used on snow plow pumps if you are some where near  where it snows an auto parts store will stock them.

It snowed in Miami in 1977, so I will check next time I am there!

toy.PNG

Yeah rub it in I have a friend that lives in Florida now he sends stuff like having to put on long pants because it got down to 67* last night. 

3 hours ago, Maineah said:

Yeah rub it in I have a friend that lives in Florida now he sends stuff like having to put on long pants because it got down to 67* last night. 

In the never ending summer when it is 98° and 95% humidity with swarms of mosquito everywhere. When the mere act of sitting on a bike or car seat can cauterize hemorrhoids you probably don't hear him bragging about FL weather.

Happy Holidays, Blessed Hanukkah, Bah Humbug, Merry Christmas, whatever floats your boat/ski mobile.   Jim