Factory First Gen 4x4 Sunrader?

85Diesel

Does anyone know if this is a factory 4x4 Sunrader? I've never seen one with a first generation cab. I wonder if someone made it. Or did someone finally do the legendary 2wd to 4wd conversion?

IMG_2583.JPG

Edited by 85Diesel

Pretty sure it's a home made one. Quite a few of those out there. Either they upgrade the chassis to 4x4 or move the coach to a 4x4 truck. Good way to tell a homemade one it to see if the rear wheels are dead center in the wheel well. A real Sunrader will be. The made ones always seem to be a little off. 84 to 87 is the range. And there are a lot more than 26. I was keeping track for a while.

Linda S

Curious as to your last count of factory-mades before you stopped counting Linda. That number 26 had a life of it's own for a few years...  :)

TG

6 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I wonder if running the VIN of a Factory Sunrader 4x4 vs Factory Sunrader 2WD vs Factory Pickup 4x4 might suggest it's credentials?

absolutely. The 4x4's were built on complete trucks, not cab and chassis, so they will come up as a Toyota 4x4 when checking the vin.

Linda S

6 hours ago, ToyoGuy said:

Curious as to your last count of factory-mades before you stopped counting Linda. That number 26 had a life of it's own for a few years...  :)

TG

At one point I knew where 29 of them were. Since I know there were at least 2 destroyed in accidents that makes 31. I think there are more but like I said stopped keeping track.

my sun land  vin comes up 85 pickup. a lot of rv  companies bought  the complete truck and then stripped the beds off of them and either scrapped them out or sold them to rv salvage yards. it was cheaper for them to buy the whole truck. rather than just the cab and chassis.

Look on your door plate. If it says 5500Lbs max weight it was a cab and chassis. Yes cab and chassis come up as a truck. Just not a 4x4 truck. Since they didn't make a heavy duty 4x4 cab and chassis they had to be made from a complete truck. Pretty sure import taxes were lower for an incomplete vehicle so tearing apart a complete one wouldn't have made sense for the regular campers.

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...