I also just pulled the trigger on first Toyota :)

redskinman

Well first joined here looking for advice on what to look for on these,thanks for everyones advice.Saw this on Texoma Craigslist,about a 5 hr drive from my house outside Houston.I thought it was a scam for sure,only 2 pics and no phone number{usually a sure sign its fake}but I took the chance and emailed him and asked for phone number and he emailed me back with the number.It was a retired gentleman selling this for his neighbor who's out of the country.But his neighbors wife was there to fill out paperwork{had to bring it to her work}

Well it was the gentlemans first time posting anything on craigslist so that would explain lack of pics and phone number,which I believe helped me in getting it because if it would have been a proper ad I think it would have sold before I got to it{even though it's only been 3 days} It was advertised for 6850,which is a great price for where I live.Only other one near me with v6 is in Austin,he's asking 12,000 for it.I ended up getting it for $6350.00

It's going to need a little work,hopefully not too much.I havent got it home yet,I drove the 5 hrs to see it after work last night,spent night at hotel,looked at it and bought it this morning and then drove back home.Going to drive back up there sat nite or sunday with my wife so I can drive it home.

The bad that I know of so far.Tires are 8 years old,will need to get replaced.Check engine light is on,Idling uneven.It's got 122,000 miles on it.Generator would not start,could just be not enough juice getting to it,it only cranked over for a few seconds,after that it just clicked or made some whining noises.it's needs a new muffler.The camper has hardly been used the past 2 years except for the husband to sit in outside his house and watch tv to escape his mother in law lol.

The good.I like that it doesnt have the window in front of the cab,less chance of getting water in there{ I would think}{thats a mirror on the inside where window would be}Ran the title and it's only had 2 previous owners,spent its whole life in tx within a 100 miles of where I bought it from.This owner has had it since 2008.Came with all the original manuals.Dont know if that zenith one in pic is supposed to be with it? unless it came with a zenith tv originally.I can find no evidence of any leaks,floor is solid.Used the moisture detector someone suggested{thanks:D}and got no bad readings.Oil looked nice and clean,saw no oil leaks.Seemed to shift and drive fine.Dash air seemed to work,it was a cold morning so have to wait and see.Same with roof air.Dont know if fridge works,it's supposed to.Will know more once I get it home.Was able to get it inspected and transferred in my name today,which was great! because in Houston we have smog test,would have failed here,and I would have had to wait forever in line at tax office to get title transferred.In that small town I didnt have to wait in line and lady was super friendly and helpful.

Updates to come.

oh,I dont know whats up with that chair and spare tire.It looks factory but very unusual.Chair is bolted down and tire is bolted to chair.

DSC00881[1](1).JPG

DSC00882[1].JPG

DSC00883[1].JPG

DSC00884[1](1).JPG

DSC00884[1].JPG

DSC00885[1].JPG

DSC00886[1].JPG

9282.jpg

IMG_9281.JPG

IMG_9267.JPG

IMG_9269.JPG

IMG_9274.JPG

IMG_9273.JPG

IMG_9278.JPG

IMG_9277.JPG

Edited by redskinman

Looking thru the owners manual still had the original window sticker,very faded now but you can still read it.Sold for  $26,482 in 1991,which would be what,50 grand today?

IMG_9284.JPG

Yeah I think you got a deal too. Check and see if the head gasket has been done. they are still doing them at least until the end of next year. Call Toyota and make sure you don't ask about a recall, it's a special service campaign. Love the spare tire under the seat. Very innovative and looks kind of funky neat. Just need to make sure your tire is super clean before you put it away

Linda S

1 minute ago, linda s said:

Yeah I think you got a deal too. Check and see if the head gasket has been done. they are still doing them at least until the end of next year. Call Toyota and make sure you don't ask about a recall, it's a special service campaign. Love the spare tire under the seat. Very innovative and looks kind of funky neat. Just need to make sure your tire is super clean before you put it away

Linda S

Thanks.Yeah I forgot to post I checked on the head gasket before I went to see it,was done in 98 in Paris,Tx,which is ironic because I was going to Paris Junior college around that same time:D

inside layout looks very similar to a dolphin model 400 . yours looks like a real nice deal for you .enjoy.

anyone have tire part numbers? I need a place open on a Sunday for tires,called walmart and NTB and neither of them can get past the tires not having the middle number

Pictures can be deceiving but when I was looking I never saw one anywhere near that nice for under $10k in FL!   Love the spare tire.  

I have never heard of part numbers for tires, but there are lots of things I do not know.    If the service manager has not heard of our tire size ask them to call their supplier.      Jim

Edited by jjrbus

23 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

Pictures can be deceiving but when I was looking I never saw one anywhere near that nice for under $10k in FL!   Love the spare tire.  

I have never heard of part numbers for tires, but there are lots of things I do not know.    If the service manager has not heard of our tire size ask them to call their supplier.      Jim

Yeah you're not kidding on the pics,I've went and looked at a few that looked nothing like the pics,this one is pretty close to looking as good as the pics.Thanks for advice on tires

43 minutes ago, redskinman said:

.... neither of them can get past the tires not having the middle number

A very common problem. Especially for youngsters who have never known tires that aren't 'low profile' and can't figure things out without the help of a computer. .

I think the simplest way to allow a 'tire monkey' to look up 'our' sized tire (185R14, Load Range D/8-ply) on their computer is to ask them to look up what they have listed for a 1986 VW Vanagon/Westfalia. They were originally spec'd with the same size.

Another size that you can look for that's offered by a couple of companies is 195/75R14 and will fit/work fine, But NOT a P185/75R14. These are passenger car tires and not Load Range D.

I think you're not going to find this size (185R14) in stock anywhere and had better anticipate having to wait for them to be delivered from a warehouse.

NOTE:- The same size and Load Range is also available as a 'Trailer Tire'. They will be marked as ST185R14. Do NOT accept these.

1 hour ago, redskinman said:

Yeah you're not kidding on the pics,I've went and looked at a few that looked nothing like the pics,this one is pretty close to looking as good as the pics.Thanks for advice on tires

I neglected to mention, valve stems.    The proper valve stem can save using valve extensions.   The ones I am aware of might be available now are on Ebay.   There is also cheaper ones available that require bending, check the thread below and replacing stems.

VALVE STEM FOR TIRE Toyota 1 Ton Truck V6 #9094205026

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/7840-valve-stem-replacement/

Thanks for everyone for advice on tires,what a frickin nightmare.I called discount tire,sears,NTB,pep boys,firestone,no one has heard of this tire and vw vanagon westfalia is not showing up in their computer.Sears found one they thought would work,the hankook.She called Hankook and they only had 1,says theyre phasing them out.Pep boys called their supplier and they found some hankooks also,said there was only 7 left in the Usa and i'm getting 6 of them,suppposed to be here by saturday.Costing me an arm and a leg,and theyre afraid they wont be able to install them because its a motorhome{even though I'm trying to tell them i'm sure a floor jack will work.}

I do not trust to drive this rig 300 miles on those tires and sunday is my window so I cant wait to try those ones on Amazon and see if they have them,I'm wondering now if they really do from what I've been told.So fat they just charged me for tires,707.83,will end up being 825 if they install them.:o

Well I'm glad you found some. I bought passenger tires when I had to return from picking up a Sunrader once. Only thing in town. Made it home though and the tires are still on there. Don't really use that camper though. I find it easiest to search by brand and model. There are only a few that come in our sizes. Tires-easy usually has the most compete list and then you call around and ask only for that tire for a 14 inch wheel

Linda S

It sounds like you've found a set of Hankook RA08. This model has been phased out (discontinued), replace by the RA18. My concern with the RA08 at this point is if you end up with some old stock someone found in the back of a warehouse. Depending, of course, on how much you worry about the 6 year 'shelf life' of tires.

I wonder if Pep Boys will price match Amazon. And if the say they're not the same tire, get them to knock even more off since it's a discontinued model! :)

43 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

It sounds like you've found a set of Hankook RA08. This model has been phased out (discontinued), replace by the RA18. My concern with the RA08 at this point is if you end up with some old stock someone found in the back of a warehouse. Depending, of course, on how much you worry about the 6 year 'shelf life' of tires.

I wonder if Pep Boys will price match Amazon. And if the say they're not the same tire, get them to knock even more off since it's a discontinued model! :)

Well it was the lady at Sears who said she talked to someone at Hankook who said they were phasing them out.The guy at Pep Boys just said there was only 7 of them left,so who knows,I hope not.I also mentioned to the Pep Boys guy about the Amazon tires and he replied well you're always going to find something cheaper on the internet,so he's not going to match it unfortunately:(

The late Sunrader Bob suggested to me when I needed tires to get the YOKOHAMA  Y356 185R14  Our local tire dealer sold the Yokohama tires . I went by there and asked, they didn't have any in stock but could get them in 3 days. I had six put on and have had them 6 years now and they still look new.  I do keep them covered with tire covers while not camping  and spray them with 303 AEROSPACE  PROTECTANT   once  or twice a year. No cracks . You can find that at boat places, Auto part places and camping world.  Wish you well with your camper, make happy memories !

Homer 

Edited by Homer

10 hours ago, WME said:

Several of the people I called told me to try tire rack,problem is I dont have time to wait for them to be shipped,if I had time I would have bought the ones from Amazon for 72 bucks a piece but thanks anyway.

6 hours ago, Homer said:

The late Sunrader Bob suggested to me when I needed tires to get the YOKOHAMA  Y356 185R14  Our local tire dealer sold the Yokohama tires . I went by there and asked, they didn't have any in stock but could get them in 3 days. I had six put on and have had them 6 years now and they still look new.  I do keep them covered with tire covers while not camping  and spray them with 303 AEROSPACE  PROTECTANT   once  or twice a year. No cracks . You can find that at boat places, Auto part places and camping world.  Wish you well with your camper, make happy memories !

Homer 

Thanks,that info might have been valuable yesterday because it looks like Discount tire carries them,but I was under the gun and had to order the ones I could to have them by Sunday,but thanks anyway.

19 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I neglected to mention, valve stems.    The proper valve stem can save using valve extensions.   The ones I am aware of might be available now are on Ebay.   There is also cheaper ones available that require bending, check the thread below and replacing stems.

VALVE STEM FOR TIRE Toyota 1 Ton Truck V6 #9094205026

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/7840-valve-stem-replacement/

I will have to search later when I have more time,but the tire chuck you bought is no longer available and neither are the valve stems{from the ebay seller who was selling them before}and so far I havent found anyone else on ebay selling those valve stems.I have to head to work now,thanks

It does not have to be that chuck.   What is needed is a chuck with a straight foot and an angled foot, not one with 2 angled feet. Anything shaped like this, the straight one is needed for the inside dual and the angled one for the outside dual.

The stems may be available from the dealer, will be expensive, however extensions are not cheap either!

Maineah suggested boring the hole to 7/16" which is a hair smaller than .453 which are widely available.

I had the luxury of time on this and things fell into place.        Jim

aaaaaaaaaaa.PNG

7 hours ago, Homer said:

Homer 

Just called Discount Tire,they can get them but they would not have gotten here till next Tuesday,but again I appreciate the suggestion

4 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

It does not have to be that chuck.   What is needed is a chuck with a straight foot and an angled foot, not one with 2 angled feet. Anything shaped like this, the straight one is needed for the inside dual and the angled one for the outside dual.

The stems may be available from the dealer, will be expensive, however extensions are not cheap either!

Maineah suggested boring the hole to 7/16" which is a hair smaller than .453 which are widely available.

I had the luxury of time on this and things fell into place.        Jim

aaaaaaaaaaa.PNG

Ok thanks:D

18 hours ago, Derek up North said:

The guy from  pep boys called and said my tires are in,will be there Sunday morning to pick them up and hope this rig makes the 6 hr trip home:D

Also he says they are the RA18

20 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Good so they should be pretty 'fresh' since the RA18 only came out a few months ago.

I'm having to quote your post because something weird is going on when I try to just reply to this topic, anyway this might be a dumb question but since I've never owned a motorhome or a dually does the spare tire only fit the front?

From '87 on, when the 3 hand-hole rear wheels were introduced, all 6/7 rims are interchangeable, front and rear. The front rim is simply 'reversed' to install (as is the inner rear rim).

Some Winnebagos left the factory with no spare as a weight saving measure if you ordered one of the heavy options (like the generator).

'86 (6 hand-hole rims) and earlier (retrofitted with a FF axle) will still have 5 lug rims up front so you'll need 2 spares.

50 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

From '87 on, when the 3 hand-hole rear wheels were introduced, all 6/7 rims are interchangeable, front and rear. The front rim is simply 'reversed' to install (as is the inner rear rim).

Some Winnebagos left the factory with no spare as a weight saving measure if you ordered one of the heavy options (like the generator).

'86 (6 hand-hole rims) and earlier (retrofitted with a FF axle) will still have 5 lug rims up front so you'll need 2 spares.

Ok thanks! So it looks like my spare should fit everywhere then,and since my unit came with a generator that might help explain the spare tire mounted to the chair thing:D