86 Conquest complete rebuild

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to be able to bend and overlap, especially where the wall meets the roof.  I don't like those channel arrangements of most campers.  They leak there more than anywhere in my experience.  With aluminum I can bend it over the top with 2+" of extra.  Then I've got a nice flange to put the marine adhesive to.

I personally don't like fiberglass for many reasons... notably cutting, shaping, etc.  Plus  my walls aren't perfectly straight... thus precut pieces would have to be finessed to get installed.
B

Well at least its rigid.

Linda, I hear you.  I'll have part 9 out in a few days.  Trying to be a little more cinematic and interesting.... I'll say, however, that the whole process of removal went well.  

It was pretty stiff before the welding.  It stiffened some after welding too.  Stiff, but flexible.  Just like it should be.

You know with all the gutted toys that show up on eBay or Craigslist that represent lost dreams, looks like you are really going to get it done.

Congrats

Definitely!  It's going to get there, come hell or high water.  
I'm down with the flu... so I'm getting caught up on editing in between 12 hour naps.  Back at it later in the week, I hope.

Chapter 11.  
I've been sick so progress has been slowed.  Finally feeling good enough to work again, so I'll have a new installment in a weekish.  

This is worse than the B reel serials you sat through every Sat at the local theater:P 

Your not welding and the new camera looks good. Did you arch the roof rafters or is that look a wide angle effect.

Keep going, I have lots of popcorn still left.

Thanks, it's getting there.
I need a window for the rear.  I've decided I want to put one in back there too.  Needs to be less than 24" wide.  Ebay has some options but they don't have the inner trim ring that holds it in.  Anyone have one?

Hoping to have another chapter out in a week or so.

So did you make a set of plans/drawings or you just freestyling? Don't see to many OH OHs.

I start with a picture in my head.  Sometimes I write to-do lists, but diagrams are rare.  Winging it all the way!
There's plenty of oopsies... Notably the light mounting over the bed.  One is held in only on one end because I made the hole too big.... 
So much of the process is omitted in the video editing.  I generally didn't get the panels to fit first time.  Some required 3-4 trips back to the saw before I shot the video take where it went right in.

I do a lot of standing and staring at the overall project.  That helps me to visualize what's next, how to do it, etc.
Thanks for asking.

• 2 weeks later...

I left that in there for cinematic effect.  I put 15psi in the tires and took about half of the weight out to see how high it would sit.  I thought it was going to be less tight than it was... 

I'm going to remove 2" from the garage door opening on the next warm day.  It was 50df the other day, but I was working.  Now we're back to the 20's.  

After that, I should be able to get it in and out regardless of tires/weight.  The structure is increasing the weight of the rig somewhat.  It's going to be pretty light until the interior goes in and the equipment goes in.

I hadn't considered lowering the floor near the door.  I'll consider that after the door has been modified.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I know you've been sitting on your hands waiting for the latest chapter, so here you go.

Major oops. The propane tank needs to be mount in a box that is sealed to the inside and vented to the outside. Most used a louvered door.

Minor suggestion the vent fan can be made more efficient with a piece of 14x14" plexi that has a hole the size of the fan, mount it so the fan blades are half way in the hole

Scrub able semi-gloss is defiantly the way to go. with a band inside there is going rubbs . 

Interesting.  There's really no place for it to go on the outside.  A box would interfere the the piece of cargo I had planned to go there... It kinda hugs the tank.

The back has the platelight and door and such.  Not a lot of room for it there.  Underneath would be great like the old setup.  But that setup was gone before I got it.  Someone replaced it with a standard tank on the rear rack.   I guess I'll start looking for some horizontal tanks.

Other ideas?

I had a moment of inspiration while replacing the diaphragm in the heater.  The storage compartment is just... and I mean just... big enough for the standard 20 pound tank to fit.  I'll put a vent in the front of the storage door.  Problem solved!  Bonus is the weight distribution improves too.  The tank is now 4' in front of the rear axle rather than on top of it.  The band gear is pretty much all on or behind the rear axle, so anything that shifts truck weight forward is good.

PS I've been thinking about a piece of plexi over the fan since I bought it.  It could be way more efficient with a shroud like that.  I'm thinking once it's roadworthy I'll add that and also install a resister or variable speed control to the setup to slow the fan down/pull less current.  It moves TONS of air as it is... but draws a lot of current.  

I have a list of things to do once it's on the road/in use.  Those will be easy enough to do once it's actually working/making $ with it.