Generator noise levels.

Derek up North

I came across these 2 pages that might help if you're trying to buy the quietest generator. It's sometimes hard to track down Db levels.

http://www.chainsawjournal.com/quietest-generator/

http://www.chainsawjournal.com/whats-the-best-2000-watt-generator/

Please, let's save any debate on whether any generator noise is acceptable and that we should all be only using solar for another thread.

Good start,  but to keep it apples and apples you need to know load and distance. Most of that is in the owners manual so just dig around a bit.

The park service has a standard I wonder if they wonder around with a sound meter? I was camping this past summer and some one was running a "quiet"  lime green generator behind their camper I walked over and turned it around so the the noisy exhaust was pointing their direction. The inverter ones are quite quiet as long as they are not doing any thing turn on a microwave or AC then it's about as noisy as my 6K one.

I bought a HONDA eu 2000i gen primarily because it reportedly has the lowest db, for that size, type generator.  Honda also has a great reputation for reliability and performance and that was a factor as well. Last week i received my newest Harbour Freight flyer. Their Predator brand has a side by side comparison with the Honda eu 2000i. and the predator is listed as being ONLY TWO db higher than the Honda. the predator sells for half the cost of the Honda. Are the HF numbers accurate ?  Is two a significant increase ?  I too would welcome some verified stats by an independent source, concerning the advertised numbers . i did view the gens in the link provided and noticed that the WEN stated it was "EPA III and CARB " compliant (have no clue what that means)  apparently the EPA is involved on some level.  joe from dover.

This guy did some serious measuring, but only 3 different generators. Interesting results for different loads and positioning:-

http://www.campinglife.com/feature-stories/quiet-thunder/

This guy did some testing. I've no idea why he's so interested in noise levels at 2ft!

http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/rv-generator-sound-off/

Some more:-

http://portable.generatorguide.net/quiet-generators.html

http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/generac-iq-quietest-portablerv-generator-ever/

http://www.campinglife.com/camping-gear/generators-power/portable-power/

14 hours ago, Maineah said:

The park service has a standard ...

National Park Service generator standard of 60 decibels (A weighted) at a distance of 50 feet.  That number is derived from the Code of Federal Regulations, 36 CFR Section 2.12 which prohibits:-

(1) Operating motorized equipment or machinery such as an electric generating plant, motor vehicle, motorized toy, or an audio device, such as a radio, television set, tape deck or musical instrument, in a manner: (i) That exceeds a noise level of 60 decibels measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet; or, if below that level, nevertheless; (ii) makes noise which is unreasonable, considering the nature and purpose of the actor’s conduct, location, time of day or night, purpose for which the area was established, impact on park users, and other factors that would govern the conduct of a reasonably prudent person under the circumstances.

1 hour ago, hunkaman said:

I bought a HONDA eu 2000i gen primarily because it reportedly has the lowest db, for that size, type generator.  Honda also has a great reputation for reliability and performance and that was a factor as well. Last week i received my newest Harbour Freight flyer. Their Predator brand has a side by side comparison with the Honda eu 2000i. and the predator is listed as being ONLY TWO db higher than the Honda. the predator sells for half the cost of the Honda. Are the HF numbers accurate ?  Is two a significant increase ?  I too would welcome some verified stats by an independent source, concerning the advertised numbers . i did view the gens in the link provided and noticed that the WEN stated it was "EPA III and CARB " compliant (have no clue what that means)  apparently the EPA is involved on some level.  joe from dover.

Db level is a miss understood rating so "only" 2 Db is a lot more than one might think a gain in sound pressure of 3 Db is twice the noise level it works well as a selling point. CARB is a CA standard if it does not pass it doesn't ship.

after reading "derek's" last post here, i viewed all the links provided. (thanks derek ) i now realize the relevance of increasing/decreasing db number ratings proportionate to establishing increasing/decreasing noise output with consideration of the other factors, distance,direction,reflective surfaces, etc. It was interesting to note one of the links stated there "is no industry standard" for db levels. I suppose one could say this maybe a market driven situation.  joe from dover

I do not like noise so did a lot of looking before purchasing and went with the Honda, plus some other reasons.  # 1 being are there replacement parts available, important to me maybe not to all.

Another fact about sound that is never mentioned and not included in DB's is the type of sound, some are a deep base sound and others a tinny sound, I find the tinny sound very annoying.

It seems that industry today does not want buyers who are interested in technical details.  Can't blame them when it seems the average consumer will buy the product with 3 led's over a product with 2 even if they serve no practical function. 

On 12/5/2016 at 9:16 AM, Derek up North said:

I came across these 2 pages that might help if you're trying to buy the quietest generator. It's sometimes hard to track down Db levels.

http://www.chainsawjournal.com/quietest-generator/

http://www.chainsawjournal.com/whats-the-best-2000-watt-generator/

Please, let's save any debate on whether any generator noise is acceptable and that we should all be only using solar for another thread.

A LOUD generator does have its place. Say you are boondocking in a nice secluded place and some buthead comes and decides to park 30 feet away. That's when you pull out and fire up your harbor freight 800 watt and aim the exhaust at your new neighbor!

15 minutes ago, RVdaytrader said:

A LOUD generator does have its place. Say you are boondocking in a nice secluded place and some buthead comes and decides to park 30 feet away. That's when you pull out and fire up your harbor freight 800 watt and aim the exhaust at your new neighbor!

LOL,   I don't want to carry a second generator for this purpose, but the muffler does come off mine quickly or maybe just some rap CD's.    

My Onan Microlite is pretty quiet. I have it mounted on the back deck, with rubber vibration dampers, and a second (Chinese) scooter muffler installed after the primary muffler. Directing the exhaust pipe away from the coach helps a lot.

I'll never be camping, but expect a peaceful sleep when traveling. Summer months with the A/C running, quiet is a must.

my son has that larger and much quieter  then their older model champion products. I felt that it was very quiet and it was running his 15000 BTU roof air on his 26ft jayco. I for my own opinion  was very impressed with the unit . bought it at cabalas I don't know the price.

"Figures don't lie, but liars can figure" with that caveat in mind here is a page to help convert db and distance.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm

Some thing else to consider is load the 51db @21 ft  WEN posts is 25% load (500w). The much maligned noisy Onan 2800 is rated at 70 db @ 10 ft. That converts to 63 db @ 21 ft. With the factory resonator/aftermuffler the Onan goes to 61db @ 21 ft.  BUT that rating is at 50% power (1400w). The WEN or Honda would be close to max throttle to make that much power.

So tread lightly here, For There Be Dragons

Edited by WME

The Onan  aka OhNo I suspect is considered noisy as it is installed in a fiberglass box almost in the coach with no sound insulation and I would guess the bulk of them need new mufflers. Even the  inverter gensets would be noticeable installed like this.

Most of the new inverter types are close enough in db ratings( for me anyway)  I have not seen a 2k rated inverter type that was rated horrible for db levels.  So other criteria might be considered when purchasing.   Dimensions and wattage,  quality, price, parts availability, whatever is important to the purchaser.

For myself if I wanted higher wattage I would buy a reman Champion 3000.    Jim  SWFL

13 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

The Onan  aka OhNo I suspect is considered noisy as it is installed in a fiberglass box almost in the coach with no sound insulation and I would guess the bulk of them need new mufflers. Even the  inverter gensets would be noticeable installed like this.

Most of the new inverter types are close enough in db ratings( for me anyway)  I have not seen a 2k rated inverter type that was rated horrible for db levels.  So other criteria might be considered when purchasing.   Dimensions and wattage,  quality, price, parts availability, whatever is important to the purchaser.

For myself if I wanted higher wattage I would buy a reman Champion 3000.    Jim  SWFL

An inverter generator is not speed dependent it produces it's own AC with the inverter system so if the demand is low they are very quiet because they turn much slower. A standard rotating field two pole generator on the other hand has to turn 3600 rpm to produce 60 CPS house hold current no matter what the load is. The inverters get progressively nosier as the demand climbs that is important when you consider the noise of running an AC unit with an inverter generator. 

24 minutes ago, Maineah said:

An inverter generator is not speed dependent it produces it's own AC with the inverter system so if the demand is low they are very quiet because they turn much slower. A standard rotating field two pole generator on the other hand has to turn 3600 rpm to produce 60 CPS house hold current no matter what the load is. The inverters get progressively nosier as the demand climbs that is important when you consider the noise of running an AC unit with an inverter generator. 

My Duo therm 11k roof air would drown out any generators sound!

No debate here, I agree with your statement, OP.

Its up to the EPA to evaluate and post the DB and fuel consumption. The new EPA chief, Scott Pruitt will love to help out on these and other issues I am sure. :)

Edited by Totem

On 12/7/2016 at 10:41 AM, jjrbus said:

My Duo therm 11k roof air would drown out any generators sound!

Probably but I'm sure the neighbors heard your generator better!

19 hours ago, Totem said:

No debate here, I agree with your statement, OP.

Its up to the EPA to evaluate and post the DB and fuel consumption. The new EPA chief, Scott Pruitt will love to help out on these and other issues I am sure. :)

I'm sure your right they would be twice as noisy.

After a bit of somber reflection, I think it would be logical if it was a joint test program between the NPS and EPA. NPS already has a 'loose' standard of 60dB @ 60 ft. Seems they could come up with a list of 'Noise Level Certified' portable (and other) inverter generators, similar to California's CARB compliant equipment for pollution levels. If they can meet 60dB @ 23 ft, they should be much lower @ 60 ft. At 100% output, of course. There doesn't seem to be much point in having a quiet generator @ 0% load!! :)

excuse me if this has already been asked...just curious if the Canadian government has any standards concerning what this thread has been discussing ? Maybe "derek " has some info ? thanks. joe from dover

I doubt we have our own. And if we do, they're more than likely a close copy of any US standards. We're realists with a population less than California. If we made ours tougher than US standards, nobody would bother making a special 'Canadian Market' vehicle for anything but the simplest modification. The only one that comes to mind was the introduction of Daytime Running Lights here in 1991. Visitors from the US probably thought we were all on the way to a funeral. :)

EDIT. Silly me, I forgot that our speedos have the 'major' scale in KPH, the 'minor' scale MPH. Odometers in KM too.

all I know is that big champion inverter type ran my sons 15000 btu ac and  . was not bad at all you could talk right buy it . and it does have plenty of power .

8 hours ago, 5Toyota said:

all I know is that big champion inverter type ran my sons 15000 btu ac and  . was not bad at all you could talk right buy it . and it does have plenty of power .

When I was looking at gensets,  the 3000 watt Champion would have been my choice if I wanted a larger genset, plus they can be bought refurbished for $600 at times.