Hi 

New to this forum and new to Toyota MH - recently purchased a 1987 Odyssey with a 22RE engine with 80K - we knew it needed some work on the interior (done) and in the engine (in process) - My mechanic gave me a list of things it needed and some of it I can do myself - other stuff will need mechanic - so my question is regarding shocks - it needs new shocks all around and I know little to nothing about shocks for a small MH - this rig came with a detachable carrier in the rear and I would like to carry a small motor bike on that for longer trips (225lbs) Would purchasing Air Shocks help with that additional weight in the back?

Also have read about it being a wise investment to add an tranny cooler (auto) and does anyone have suggestions on what type I should get and guesstimate cost? 

tx

jimBOW

Our trucks take a stronger shock and most also have air suspension bags in the back. Here are some examples of the shocks and the air suspension. I'm very surprised yours doesn't already have the air bags. Don't think I've ever seen an Odyssey without them except for the much older ones. Air shocks are not recommended. They put too much stress on the shock mounts

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4485&selected_year=1987

Airlift is the air bag system. Bilsteins are the most recommended shock but I also like the KYB. You can just take down the model numbers from here and then shop around. Might find lower prices elsewhere. Funny I thought by 87 the cab and chassis had a stock trannie cooler too.

Linda S

Yup came standard with a trannie oil cooler. Weird that someone took yours off.

http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~cooler~assy~oil~32910-35020.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Pickup&Year=1987&Submodel=&Filter=(d=USA;1=22REC;3=T1;7=RCB;9=HVY;10=WT;12=EFI;13=IV)&Location=oil-cooler-tube-atm,,32910

linda s , went to the shock link you provided . i was wondering in your opinion, are the bilsteins  ( set of four ) over the monroe's worth the nearly 3 times $$ amount ?  thanks for your reply. joe from dover

My son-in-law put Monroe's on my Explorer a while back and they are terrible shocks. My fault, he knows I'm cheap so he got the cheapest ones and I didn't specify. Not cheap when you have to replace them after 2 years cause they are shot. Like I said, shop around with the model numbers. There are slightly cheaper ones to be found. I also have KYB's on my Sunrader. Way past replacement time now but they lasted over 10 years in the time I had it. They might have been much older. So if you want to go cheap go KYB

Linda S

2 hours ago, hunkaman said:

linda s , went to the shock link you provided . i was wondering in your opinion, are the bilsteins  ( set of four ) over the monroe's worth the nearly 3 times $$ amount ?  thanks for your reply. joe from dover

If you plan on keeping your rig forever and doing some off roading with it the Bilsteins have a limited lifetime warrenty and are worth it.  The KYB's have a 50,000 to 60,000 mile life expectancy and are a good choice for most. I bought the KYB's and am happy with them.  I did not look at Monroe so have no idea.   HTH  Jim

Edited by jjrbus

THANKS FOR THE INPUT--DOUBT IF I WILL BE OFF ROADING, AND ALSO DOUBT I WILL PUT OVER 50,000 MILES ON MY RIG. SO THAT BEING SAID , THE KYB'S SHOULD BE OK WITH ME, UNLESS THEY ARE REALLY CLOSE IN PRICE TO THE BILSTEINS, THEN I MAY SPEND THE DIFF AND GO WITH BILSTEINS. HAVE NOT PRICED KYB'S YET. JOE FROM DOVER

34 minutes ago, hunkaman said:

THANKS FOR THE INPUT--DOUBT IF I WILL BE OFF ROADING, AND ALSO DOUBT I WILL PUT OVER 50,000 MILES ON MY RIG. SO THAT BEING SAID , THE KYB'S SHOULD BE OK WITH ME, UNLESS THEY ARE REALLY CLOSE IN PRICE TO THE BILSTEINS, THEN I MAY SPEND THE DIFF AND GO WITH BILSTEINS. HAVE NOT PRICED KYB'S YET. JOE FROM DOVER

The prices for the KYB's are on that same link I posted. Very important to get the motorhome ones. Not the same as regular truck ones. Price for KYB's is 142 compared to the Bilstein 307. Less than half price and that's for all 4 shocks

I ran both air bags and Gabriel air shocks on the rear of our Gulfstream. Someone had told me that air shocks were a bad choice as they could break off the shock mounts. That never happened. Maybe if I had just ran the shocks and no bags it would have been a problem. Anyhow I ended up with a very stable, absolutely no side to side rocking when going down the road or in corners. I installed the airbags myself. They were the type where the axle mount fastened under the axle U-Bolts. Had to cut the U-Bolts off with a sawzall. Once cut through they popped like a gun going off. The whole project is not easy and somewhat dangerous. Not suggested for those who do not have the proper equipment to support the truck. Note: The air bag kit I went with did not come with new U-Bolts.