Plumbing vent - Need advice

deannak

Hi there! I'm a pretty new owner, and picked up my Sunland Express this June. I've been lurking on the forum since then - a ton of excellent info here! But here's the problem...

I've got some serious roof leaks on this, and I'm working my way through cleaning up and resealing roof vents and seams.  I've made use of a ton of info I've gotten from this forum about how to do things, so thanks everybody!

But I'm not sure what to do with the plumbing vent.  I first noticed it was missing a cap.  Then, as I was cleaning off the gobs of silicone covering the base, I found that the plastic vent cover was cracked in places, and that there's nothing sealing the vent cover to the pipe.  I also found that a previous owner had taken a standard round vent cover and sawed off one side to make it fit in this position.

I've been searching for a vent cover that can fit here, but haven't found one.  There's less than 1" between the pipe and the side trim.  Is this a standard configuration?  Does anybody make covers that will fit this?  Is there a better solution than buying one and sawing off the side?

I'd sure appreciate any ideas you folks have!  Thanks!

plumbing-vent.JPG

Yes very odd that the plumbing vent is so close to the edge trim. I can't think of any other option than doing the same thing the previous owner did. Buy a standard vent and cut of as much as you need to fit it in that place. You do need to get the old one off and clean everything. Install new one cut to fit with butyl tape and then use lap sealant over the edges especially along the cut edge. There are universal caps that just fit into the pipe with springs to hold them in place but yours is soo cracked up it needs replacing.

Linda S

PS try to cut it so you still have screw holes close to the edge of the roof. maybe only 1 screw hole cut out

https://www.amazon.com/360-Siphon-RV-Fume-Extractor/dp/B001FC7DUC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1480531784&sr=8-6&keywords=rv+pipe+vent+cover

This is what I used for both our vents. In your case, as Linda said, you will need to do as the previous owner did and modify to fit. I also had to modify the pipe coming up to make mine work since the vent wasn't the right size for the pipe. I cut the pipe off flush with the roof, then siliconed the vent cap to it. These things are ridiculously overpriced, and they don't even give you screws to install it, but it did make a big difference in the odor level in the coach. So it works as advertised if you can get it to fit your installation. Also, watch out for where the vent pipes come out. On my Dolphin, the vent pipe for the waste tank was right next to the ceiling vent for the bathroom! Lousy design feature. I had to install a plexiglass deflector so the pipe wasn't venting directly back into the bathroom, especially after installing the new vent because the new vent draws more odors out of the tanks than a regular vent. But my deflector did the job. 

Deannak:
I have a '86 Sunland Express too but my Vent Pipe is closer to the bathroom fan vent than to the edge. Somebody sure made a goof-up on the one you got. Below in the attachment  is a picture of mine before I dug off all the goop.  I took the vent base off. The base was broken .  I couldn't find a replacement for it so I took MEK  solvent (Lowe's ) and a small artist brush and let it go into the cracks where it was broken and it fused back together .  I let it set overnight  then reinstalled it and put PROFLEX RV sealant around the base.  Just about good as new.   I was wondering if you replaced the stand pipe and let it extend above the side enough and put one of the optional vent caps ( some go round and round revolving  as traveling down the road or just the wind blowing) over that  like Linda said. Using plenty of Butyl rubber to close off the gap around the pipe and roof.cyclone-rotating-vent.jpg

.Plumbing Vent CapThis is what Linda mentioned that fits down in the stand pipe I think.
I wish you the Best on your endeavors.

'Homer'

DSC04414.JPG

The weather vane things work great and would probably fix your problem. Many have noticed when you open a window while driving it pulls vapors from the holding tanks into the MH the weather vane thingy will stop that too.

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody!  I guess the previous owner had a good idea, slicing off the side like that. ;)

I had occasionally noticed an odor when I drive with the windows down, but frankly i've been focused on the water issue instead.  If I can fix them both in one shot, that would be great! 

I'll be looking into the suggestions you all provided, to see which I could make fit in this spot.  I'll have to get some measurements.  And I'll be sure to butyl and seal it as well as possible. 

Thanks again!   

I like the weather vane type. Some of the others while driving can actually create a pressure in the tank and cause the tank vapors to back flow into the coach. The weather vane type are supposed to create a vacuum pulling the gasses out. 

Never use silicone. It eventually comes loose and then it is hard to get any other sealant to stick as the silicone leaves a residue. Use one of the sealants made for RV roofs. They stick really well and are easy to remove when repair is needed. 

While investigating possible products, I wrote to 360 Siphon's customer service, asking for more info about their exact dimensions, and how it might fit in the space I had available.  I sent a photo along with it to show  the issue.

I was quite surprised to get a very helpful message back from Bob, the owner of the company.  He thanked me for the photo, and told me he thinks their product should fit in my space without modification, and he gave me some tips on installation.  He also asked about my pipe dimensions, and is sending me an adapter I'll need (no extra charge).  He's been amazingly helpful, sending me detailed instructions and photos of installation.

I haven't yet received the product, so I'll see how it works out, and post a follow up later.  But I was really impressed by the customer service! :)