Hi Everyone!

Just got back from a 1200 mile/4day trip to Crater Lake Oregon with my 18ft Sunrader. As usual, it was great... love the Sunrader so much :)

But, I guess because of the pouring rain during some parts of my trip the motor seems to stutter. More specifically if I start it up again or before taking off the motor would stutter, and it seems as if it could stall. Once I reach a certain speed the effect goes away again. Any idea what causes this? Something to be concerned about? Could it be cabling that takes in water?

Let me know if you have clues or tips on how to solve this!

Thanks!

Stijn

Crater_(8_of_36).jpg

Crater_(18_of_36).jpg

Crater_(7_of_36).jpg

Easy trick, squirt bottle full of water start the engine squirt  water on wires,cap and coil if it miss fires or quits replace the offending part.

No percent damage.

You might try dielectric grease on all the distributor cap wires.

The spray bottle at night will tell you a lot.

8 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Use the squirt bottle after dark and you'll probably be able to see sparks flying to show where the 'leak' is! :)

yup, sounds like plug wires or distributor cap.

• 2 weeks later...

had a 20r truck did that when ever it was damp it was the plug wires . dist boot is a good thing too .

BEAUTIFUL PICS  BTW, HOW DOES YOUR RIG HANDLE DRIVING ON SNOW COVERED ROADS ?  ANYTHING TO BE AWARE OF OTHER THAN EMPLOYING COMMON SENSE DRIVING TECHNIQUES AS WITH OTHER VEHICLES ?

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:24 PM, WME said:

I have never seen one of these on any Toyota's. Were they an option? or standard

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

I have never seen one of these on any Toyota's. Were they an option? or standard

Linda S

I have a 85 Sunrader and its has the diaper on it, I think it was standard equipment on the 85 Toyota. It may have rotted and fell apart at some point.

Edited by sonny sunrader

I assume these were installed on Toyota that used off-road to stop the distributor from 'drowning' from driving up creeks at high speed. Not usual for motorhomes.

Owners of the original Mini used to solve this problem by cutting off the fingertip of a rubber glove. The distributor is located directly behind the grill without even a radiator to protect it from splashing water. No creek required! :)

What I have found with that sort of "fix" they actually had a tendency to trap water. MG 1800 engines in the 80's decided for reasons beyond me because it never was a problem decided to add a cover to the starter this resulted in corroded starter wiring and a cover full of water. The "repair" was to throw it away.