Furnace won't make a Sound!

Badgerbear

Hey, I just got an 89 Dolphin and am trying to get the furnace going.  It is a Hydro Flame 7916 16,000.  All of the fuses in the switch box are new.  I have turned on the propane waited, Turned the thermostat to on, then slowly turned up the thermostat and nothing happens.  I printed off the manual for the furnace, that helped a bit, but still no sounds at all.  I started to pull out the whole furnace, but there has to be something I am missing? All the burners on the stove and oven are working.  There is a brand new coach battery that seems to be working great. I am also plugged in to shore power..

20161121_122408_zpsqgaylw1d.jpg

20161121_122313_zpsopk7qsbi.jpg

20161121_122428_zpsc4x3occa.jpg

How can I test to make sure it is getting power?  

Could it be the thermostat itself?

I see what looks like a reset button, but it won't reset and the little plastic case is broke..?

Should I just by another Hydro Flame furnace off Craigslist that has been cleaned and lubed and works great for $250??!   http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/5884128739.html

The broken black thing looks like a manual reset breaker.  Unplug it and see if a local auto parts store has a replacement.

As a last resort find an auto reset breaker.

Plug in the new breaker and see if you get and noises.

Edited by WME

Connect the two wires together at the breaker and see if that makes things happen. It should at least make the fan run if it's calling for heat whether it makes heat or not.Test the voltage at the breaker both sides to ground if only one side has power the breaker is bad. If you have power then twist the thermostat wires together. It is also possible that it has a bad Ignitor board. Don't leave any thing connected that was used for testing they are that way for a reason a lot of criteria has to be met to make the system safe.

on my hydroflame, (much older than yours) the was a 5 amp plastic reset button for the fan motor only.

Check to see if your black plastic breaker has the #5 printed on the end. If it does, then its for the fan motor.

Lacking the fan kind of points to no power but the breaker is part of it the igniter board the thermostat and even a dead motor. First determine that the furnace has power then check if it has power through the breaker.The 12 volt feed goes to the breaker and to the thermostat that will be hot all the time if it's not then you'll have to find out why. Twist the two wires at the thermostat together. The other side of the breaker goes to the control board power terminal the blower power comes from the control board blo terminal So if there is power at the board power terminal and not at the blo terminal then the board is toes up if there is power at the blo terminal then the motor is bad.

time to get out a multimeter and see if power is available.  I am not familiar with your model of heater, mine has a lengihy delay before anything happens (after turning it on) before the fan starts blowing - about 45 seconds.  Then another delay before it tries to light.

Yeah they all think about it before any thing happens then goes into a pre purge but it usually is just a few seconds, after it quits heating it goes into post purge then shuts down. With out a DVM or a test light every thing is a guess.

I took that 5 amp circuit breaker to the parts store and they tested it for me and said it was bad.  A new one should be here in the morning and then I hope to get some sounds happening! I also picked up a test light and one of the wires going to that circuit breaker lights up RED light Rudolf ' s nose! I hope that means power =)

Red light on one leg is GOOD. The CB connects the 12v to the other wire.

I got a different 5 amp circuit breaker, it looks nothing like the old one, but I think it should work.  Power is coming out of the 5amp circuit breaker then stops at the next connection, which I think is a relay.  It has 4 tabs and power is not coming out anywhere but the wiring going in (coming from the 5amp CB) has power. Here is a photo, it reads Klixon 4849808.  I can't seem to find this part anywhere though?

image_zps8eivkic0.jpeg

Got a wiring diagram?

Pure guess here, the terminals 1,2 should be the control going to the thermostat. 3,4 should be the load connector. Try jumpering 3,4 and see if anything makes noise.

It's probably the fan relay it heavy enough but there is most likely a reason it's not. It has to be power on to pass current. Check the two spade terminals with a meter one each side if there is no power across them it not being commanded to turn on. Frankly I doubt it's bad.

good call, jumping wires 3 and 4 together gets the fan running nicely.  When all hooked up to the fan relay, there is no power at the spade connections on the sides or bottom.  i jumped the power wire to the white wires that connect to the relay on the side (wire 1) and it sent power through a few connections though nothing happened..  I also tried jumping the power wire to the black wires that connect on the side lol, well that doesn't work... Just blew out the 15amp furnace fuse.  Only thing I can figure is the relay is bad.  At least I heard some noise!!

Update: I just turned on the propane and connected the two thermostat wires @the thermostat and she fired right up!  It is blowing pretty warm, not hot.. Do I just need a new thermostat then? Man, thanks everyone, your help made the difference!

51 minutes ago, Badgerbear said:

Update: I just turned on the propane and connected the two thermostat wires @the thermostat and she fired right up!  It is blowing pretty warm, not hot.. Do I just need a new thermostat then? Man, thanks everyone, your help made the difference!

Maybe, some had an on/off switch have a good look at the thermostat it's self it may be just turned off.

If you do need a thermostat a cheap one digital one from one of the big box stores works great. You can use the features to warm up the rig in the morning and they aren't as fussy to being level. 

2 hours ago, WME said:

If you do need a thermostat a cheap one digital one from one of the big box stores works great. You can use the features to warm up the rig in the morning and they aren't as fussy to being level. 

You bet ya nice and cool at night a toasty in the morning!