Door locks not working

So I leave on a trip with both door locks functioning well, withing a couple weeks the driver side is not working well and shortly thereafter stops unlocking the door.  So start to use passenger side and it soon starts misbehaving, have to jiggle key up and down to find the sweet spot.  It keeps working and got me home.

All this time the key is working in the ignition with no issues, so I guess it is not the key,   Hmmmmmm

Did some searching on the net and it is possible to repair door lock cylinders.  Some more search's on the net to learn how to remove panel and lock to repair and more surfing on how to repair cylinder. From my searches I come to the conclusion that the tiny springs in the cylinders are not working right or possibly the discs are worn.

So get the lock cylinder on the driver side out and it is loaded with grease and what I guess is graphite?  So I flush the cylinder with copious amounts of carb cleaner, try the key and BINGO lock works as it should. I was thinking I would have to disassemble the cylinder and clean all the little springs and disc's individually.

After several web searches not one site mentioned or recommended cleaning the lock before doing anything else, they only went on about disassembly and repair!  Then the fun part about lube as recommended on the net.  Don't use grease/use waterproof grease,  Don't use oil/use WD 40 (oil), don't use graphite/use graphite, enough information to give me a headache.

So I cleaned the lock on the passenger side with it installed and it is working well.  I lubed both sides with XXXXXXXXX   I'm not saying cause no matter what I used it will be wrong according to someone :D

HTHS   Jim

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

OK I'll be the moving target.

I use dry graphite. Its in a carrier that evaporates in about a minuite

Graphited oil NO WAY,  OIL, grease WD-40, 3in1 nope.

Thanks for the cleaning tip jjr, never thought about carb cleaner. The passenger side of both my pickup and the RV each need cleaning. Hmmm, brand XXXXXXXXX lube... Is that kinda like Brand XXX, but even more effective?

94 Warrior, both cab locks will turn clockwise easily but neither will go counter-clockwise unless I just get lucky.  I wonder if carb cleaner into the key slot would be effective and save all that dis-assembly and re-assembly?

I sent you a pm in hopes you see this.  Carb cleaner will stain the paint on the door bad!!    I neglected to add I was very careful and used a dam at the door lock to keep cleaner from touching paint. It managed to run down through the door and across the sill and stain it!

Use something besides carb cleaner would be best.    Jim

I love carb cleaner, the nasty stuff that's chlorinated (My Bad) , and electromotive cleaner for stuff like this. Electromotive I think leaves less residue and dries faster.

The local locksmiths disdain oil, graphite, WD 40, just about everything but silicone. We live in a salty wet area near the ocean and over the years I have cleaned old locks that I had used (the above unmentionable stuff) in, with electromotive or carb cleaner after they had gummed up, and used spray silicone lock fluid, and things seem to stay good longer.

Get at any auto parts store, a bit less nasty than carb cleaner

• CRC 05018 Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner - 19 Wt Oz.
Edited by Lee & Joan
shrink picture size

brake parts cleaner will work just as well and doesn't mess up the paint.

I've used it many times to remove sticker adhesive from painted automotive finishes.

You are right Fred, I also use CRC Brakleen, I thought about that after I switched off and went down to the shop and saw the can sitting there where I had just cleaned the lock, DUH... I don't see a lot of difference between the LectraMotive and the Brakleen, Lecramotive "might" be less harmful to plastics because of the plastics used in wiring connectors and wire?

Carb Cleaner on the other hand seems to get paint rubbery pretty fast  and "hangs in there", while the electric and brake stuff evaporates pretty fast

• CRC Brakleen Brake Parts Cleaner - Non-Flammable