Just bought my first ToyHome! 89' Dolphin!

Badgerbear

So after looking at quite a few Toyota and a few Nissan motorhomes I ended up with an 89 Dolphin V6 with 60k miles for $4500.  I was not planning on a V6 or an automatic, but it looked better, was newer, and had less miles than anything else I looked at, so I figured I'd risk it with the V6 !  It is definitely is going to need a lot of work but I feel pretty good about it so far!  It is somewhat overwhelming thinking of everything to do to be able to start living in it in a few weeks. 

It appears to be in great mechanical shape and pretty decent shape in the coach too( better than anything else I looked in my price range).  I didn't see any oil or fluid leaks at all, it had a timing belt replaced @53k and just had a tune up.  I drove it from Redmond, Oregon over Mt. Hood and across the Hood River( Columbia River) bridge to where I'm currently staying in Underwood, WA with hardly any issues!  The engine stayed nice and cool and had "plenty"of power for climbing up hill.

It did have a moderate shake/shimmy on the hwy and I noticed when I got home that there are some mismatched tires on the rear, so new tires are a priority for sure.  The gas gauge is not working.  It smelled slightly like a belt was slipping when I got home and sure enough the power steering fan belt was loose, but the tensioner maxxed out and the AC belt was broke and laying on the skid plate deal.  I replaced the belts and now have a cold blowing AC in the cab! 

There is a bit of a sag in the roof, and some leaking along the edge of drivers side wall above the stove/sink and a couple cracked roof vents with tape over them.  I have got all the lights, outlets,stove,oven, and fans working.  The seller said the propane line to the fridge is cut and capped off ( which I can see) and that it may not work at all and I think that is the case.  I have not heard a peep out of the hydroflame furnace, but am not sure I'm even taking the right steps to fire it up.  The plumbing was winterized but the seller said the hot water heater does work.  I drained the black and gray tanks and a few gallons of something came out.  I hooked back up the plumbing to the water heater and need to connect the water pump to the fresh tank and light the pilot light to see what's working or not. I don't plan on using the plumbing in the camper this winter to avoid freezing issues, at least until I learn more about living in a  Rv.

Priority list

• Sealing up the roof to stop leaking at the edges for now. (Fix the sagging and do a proper roof job this summer)
  • Make sure there aren't any propane leaks
  • Get tires
  • Figure out the furnace situation and maybe buy a mr heater. 
  • Find out if the water heater and plumbing work, then probably re-winterize.
  • Figure out if the coach battery is good and if it is charging off the alternator and shore power like it should.   

Priority Questions

• What product should I use to seal up the edges and other problem areas temporarily until I can do a proper job?
  • What is the best method to be sure there aren't any propane leaks?
  • Does the pilot light in the water heater compartment have anything to do with the furnace not doing anything at all?
  • What are the steps to starting the furnace while hooked up to shore power?

20161120_233711_zpsou5aci27.jpg

image_zpsunrwrsu9.jpeg

image_zpsr84nvgd8.jpeg

image_zpskiqvoido.jpeg

image_zpsehfcnfsb.jpeg

image_zpsliwacet6.jpeg

image_zps822huw1k.jpeg

image_zpstaccxaur.jpeg

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Edited by Badgerbear

Wow looks like a really good deal. Eternabond tape will seal quickly but will be very hard to remove later. Still think it's the easiest way to make sure nothing is leaking.

Propane leaks I use kid bubble solution and a spray bottle. Nothing makes better bubbles that you can't miss if there is a leak. 2 bucks from the dollar store for both.

Furnace, if your sure there's propane and the tank is turned on you still have to make sure the furnace is turned on. Either a switch on the outside of the thermostat or a switch under the thermostat cover. Then crank the heat and listen for the fan. About 30 to 45 seconds  after the fan starts you should hear the furnace ignite.

Pilot in water heater has nothing to do with furnace and neither does shore power. Furnace is self igniting and fan runs on 12 volt so if your house battery is good it should work. If your house battery is bad then plugging it into shore power will definitely help.

Check fridge on 110 while plugged in. If that works you could probably put in new propane lines and have it work that way too. Dial on fridge controls what power it uses. Set to electric before you try it and park level. needs to be level to cool properly

Linda S

Wow, thanks Linda, that gives me a good place to start!  I'm stoked on finally owning a Toyota motorhome! Maybe someday I'll learn enough to contribute some answers, instead of just asking questions..

Welcome to Toyota motor homes and to this discussion board.

I have had 87 and 90 Dolphins.  By the photos I'd say yours is in better shape than many.  I can see the roof sag in two of your photos and have to tell you that my 90 has the same sag in the same place.

Leaks can cause three kinds of water damage:  staining, delamination of interior plywood, and rot.  Fixing leaks will stop the stains and delamination but NOT stop rot.  Any rot will need repair if you are going to keep this toyhouse for very long.  Check the kitchen countertop behind the sink, and the wall where the counter fits against it.  This is a common place for rot.  Also look for rot in the over-cab bunk just below the front window, especially near both ends of the window.  Another rot spot in Dolphins is the two back corners, one in the shower and the other in the closet.

If you get the furnace to go, don't be surprised if the fan squeals.  There are other posts here to go to if you have that problem.  The electric heater in the photo will keep you comfortable in temps down to 40 or even the mid 30's.  Will it shut off immediately if it tips over?

On the outside older Dolphins ( and Sea Breezes ) are prone to crack the fiberglass panel beginning at the top right corner of the house doorway and going almost straight up to the roof.  If yours cracks there it lets rain into your wall, especially if you are going 55mph in the rain.  I couldn't see this area in your photos so I hope yours is intact.

You have a very nice spot to park for the winter.

Never forget YOU CAN DO THIS. 

WELCOME TO THE TOYOTA MOTOR HOME WORLD. AND CONGRATZ ON YOUR PURCHASE. LOOKS LIKE A REALLY GOOD FIND FOR THE PRICE.  I HAVE HAD MY 1992 WARRIOR JUST OVER A YEAR AND I HAD NEVER OWNED A MOTOR HOME PRIOR.  I BEGAN AS YOU , BY ASKING A LOT OF QUESTIONS BEFORE I MADE MY PURCHASE, AND ASKED MANY MORE QUESTIONS SINCE. AS TODAY IS THANKSGIVING, I FEEL IT IS APPROPRIATE TO STATE HOW THANKFUL I AM FOR THIS LARGE GROUP OF VERY HELPFUL PEOPLE. I LEARN SOMETHING EVERY TIME I GET ON THE FORUM .  SO, HAPPY TURKEY DAY AND BEST WISHES FOR YOU AND YOUR DOLPHIN.  JOE FROM DOVER.

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving! Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I ordered some eternabond tape and dicor lap sealant for the roof. I am trying to fix a bunch of small stuff right now.  Really need to focus on getting something to happen with the furnace while I wait for roofing supplies. 

Bob, you absolutely nailed it! I noticed some soft/rot spots where the wall meets the ceiling above the sink and stove before I bought it, and have since found the back corner in the shower and right above the hot water heater are rotted out!  What does it take to fix this? :  Pull everything out, strip off the paneling/insulation, fix any rotten studs/framing, reinsulate, then new paneling?  

I just noticed the air bag suspension will need to be replaced also.  I drove from Redmond to Hood River with the right airbag collapsed. That explains the shake I was feeling.  It had been like that for quite sometime and the bracket that holds them to the leaf springs was bent up and not sitting right.  I pulled it off straightened it back up and got the airbag inflated to 60 psi.  Went for a drive and it was so much better=).  But it's is leaking pretty bad and weather cracked so... I'm looking at $270 to get a set of 3T's.

P.S. Wish I could park here for the winter!  But at least I have access to the shop to work on it..

Edited by Badgerbear
Typo