Hi All!

Rollingroadblock

Hi everybody. My name is Tyson and I just bought my first Toyota motorhome. 

22r 4 speed

My job requires me to work in 7 on 7 off schedules. So work a week and play a week. This also leaves the option of requesting a week off for a 3 week vacation each summer. Update: Decided on 5 weeks off. ;)

The plan is to do some traveling. ;)

I have a 1984 Escaper with the front door layout. I would've much rather had the rear door layout but pickings are slim. 

I just finished winterizing it and storing it at my parents farm in a machine shed. I feel the John Deeres will play nice with it. :)

So far the list of things that need some attention are as follows.

Fridge: Couldn't get it to do it's thing on electric or gas settings. Update: Fridge works on both electric and LP

Heater: It blows but no flame.

Cruise control: Haven't touched it.

Carburetor: Needs to be cleaned/tuned. Very flat spot at half throttle. Update: Cleaned and nearly tuned

Pretty much every seal should be redone as preventative maintenance as well as the roof.

Tires Tires TIRES! They're dated 1992 and super dry rotted. Somehow I made the 2 hour 60mph drive home. Update: 6 new tires with two spares

I'll post interior pics if your really want them but it's a touch rough. Post clean up/paint interior pics below

20161115_120952.jpg

20161115_120924.jpg

20161115_121007.jpg

Edited by Rollingroadblock

Looks very clean. I don't see any rumples or sagging from rot anywhere but still might be some from past leaks. Fridge might be dead. Cooling unit replacement is the cheapest way to go to fix it but still 4 to 5 hundred dollars.

Tires are a must. Your looking for 185r14 tires. Some brands here

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/185-Blank-14?filtering=,price

Someone else will have to help with carb info

Linda S

welcome, nice and clean looking rig. there will be lots of help and advice for you here. enjoy and please post pics, i really appreciate having a view of other owners rigs. again welcome. joe from dover.

Updates for everyone!

Tinkered all winter when it wasn't too cold.

E-brake fixed

Air bags installed(huge difference)

Rear bearings repacked with new seals

Fresh transmission and differential fluid as well as new breather valve on differential

Smog equipment removed, engine bay cleaned up, carb rebuilt.

New tires

Scraped and painted as much of the frame as I could. 

Painted the interior, removed useless stuff, updated a bit.

Resealed several exterior trim pieces which were iffy looking.

Did a ton of other little things mostly maintenance and verifying things work.

Here are the interior pics..Not done but close. Need curtains ;)

IMG_20170613_115900565_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170613_115910026_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170613_115924016_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170613_115946078_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170613_120105185[1].jpg

IMG_20170613_120018050_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170613_120123552_HDR[1].jpg

Wow Roll Super Nice!! I repainted the inside of Grannie also. Cream color. Couldn't stand the fake wood look. Amazing how much brighter the inside is now. Kept the original oak cabinet doors. I also removed the noisy overhead stove vent and replaced it with LED lights. Will post pictures also. Welcome!

Linda your rememberer is fading, I've posted pics of my unit. The rear bed unit is a great mobile hotel. If your outside all day, you come in, both the beds are made and you just fall in an go to sleep. The down side is if your trapped inside by the weather the lounge area is just the couch.

I installed a curved shower curtain track to give a bit more room in the shower (wet bath)

22 hours ago, linda s said:

Looks beautiful. Yours is the only permanent rear bed Escaper I have ever seen. Very nice. Is that a rear back up screen in the front or a GPS unit. Did you build the box for it. Again very nice

Linda S

Thanks! I'm fairly certain it started life with a dinette/bed in the back and was converted in the 90's.

The box and a super old non working radio came with it. I modified the box and bought a fancy CHEAP radio from ebay. The rear view camera is way overexposed but works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142209169168?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

15 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Wow Roll Super Nice!! I repainted the inside of Grannie also. Cream color. Couldn't stand the fake wood look. Amazing how much brighter the inside is now. Kept the original oak cabinet doors. I also removed the noisy overhead stove vent and replaced it with LED lights. Will post pictures also. Welcome!

The LED light strip is hardwired in with the rocker switch near the side door. It cost me a grand total of $3.50 on ebay. My only complaint was the adhesive backing didn't want to stick to the ceiling.

11 hours ago, WME said:

Linda your rememberer is fading, I've posted pics of my unit. The rear bed unit is a great mobile hotel. If your outside all day, you come in, both the beds are made and you just fall in an go to sleep. The down side is if your trapped inside by the weather the lounge area is just the couch.

I installed a curved shower curtain track to give a bit more room in the shower (wet bath)

It's just going to be me and the kitties for my first trip. Plenty of lounging space for them!

I hope I don't get trapped inside by the weather but if I do I can always nap. As for the shower I was going to seal the door to keep water in however I might put the shower curtain rail back up and track down a curtain to put on there.