I just got this email reply from Hankook:-

The size & load range for VW Vanagon.

185R14 Load Range D (Q100/102, 1875lb @ 65psi)

Hankook tire RA18 & RA 08 are not available in Canada.

And also we don’t have any tire which meet the Load Range for your car.

I’m sorry I cannot help you

JACOB KIM

Warranty & Technical Supports Coordinator

Hankook Tire Canada

30 Resolution Drive

Brampton, ON, L6W 0A3

T: (905) 463-9802 X 710

F: (905) 463-9792

I also came across this:-

https://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?cat=446

Notice the 'nice' low prices we get to pay! Ordering and having shipped from a US supplier is incredibly expensive/ The only hope is that you've got enough life in your tires to drive across the border and buy there. :(

Not being optimistic, I just phoned PMC about the Maxtrek. They've got 1 Maxtrek in stock, and don't expect more until Spring.  The only other offering he had was the Yokohama Y370 (195/75R14, LR D). His distributor has a total of 4 in the warehouse and wouldn't be getting more until Spring. It's Winter up here now. :)

I don't know where in Canada you want the tires but I got Sonny tires mounted at WestCoast Tire near Victoria BC.  http://www.westcoasttires.com/

They are 14inch C rated 60psi, it was around 215 CAD for two, Perhaps give them a call and see if they have a Canadian contact number.

I read quite a few good reviews about them, including a German guy that(of course in another size) had them on his Sprinter van for 75000 km year round no problems. Good enough for me. After calling every shop in town the only other option was Yokohama at around $495 for two........

Fortunately, I'm not looking to buy tires right now, but this is an exercise to help fellow Canadians who might be looking since I know how difficult it is to find tires here.

1010 shows 0 in stock for the Nexens and I asked PMC about the Westlakes yesterday. "None until Spring." :(

PMC also commented yesterday that many Vanagon owners are upgrading to 15" wheels/rims. I hope not too many of them do so because we don't have that option and there'll be even less incentive to import 185R14 (or 195/75R14) to Canada.

*PMC was checking in their distributor's warehouses across Canada. :(

Time for a trip to the states get new tires go back home no way custom would know lot cheaper too (well if you are close enough to the border). I want a set of leather seats for my Tacoma they were not sold in the states but were in Canada so next time I'm up off to a junk yard and leave the old ones there.

Sure, there's always the option to cross the border, but from what I read here, the odds of finding 185R14 in stock in the (usually) small towns near the border aren't great.

Show up at the border with shiny new tires and if the person on duty is having a bad day and calls you on them, it's up to you to prove that you didn't buy them SOTB.

I remember I once tried to joke with BP when crossing home from Canada at the border in the 90's.. when asked if I had anything to declare, I said "only the crown jewels and looked down and laughed"... 2 hours later I was back en route with a car that had absolutely everything disassembled and disheveled inside.

9 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Sure, there's always the option to cross the border, but from what I read here, the odds of finding 185R14 in stock in the (usually) small towns near the border aren't great.

Show up at the border with shiny new tires and if the person on duty is having a bad day and calls you on them, it's up to you to prove that you didn't buy them SOTB.

Dirt is cheap

Linda S

Another 30 minutes on the phone to Kal Tire. They claim to be the largest independent tire chain with 250+ stores. To keep things simple, I said I wanted tires for my (imaginary) 1986 VW Vanagon. The guy I spoke with said his son had one too and suggested I upgrade to new 15" rims & tires. :)

Persisting, he checked all over the place and could only come up with (17) Yokohama Y370 (195/75R14) in their BC warehouse @ C$147 each available in "a week or two". If I wanted 'expedited' shipping, add another $25 (each) to have them in 48hrs.

So, for any sort of selection, it looks to me that you've got to drive across the border or work with someone like this:- http://borderbuddy-px.rtrk.ca/

P.S. Any Canadian buying and importing a MH from the US, I'd suggest you buy a new set of tires on the way home.

On 11/17/2016 at 4:45 PM, Totem said:

I remember I once tried to joke with BP when crossing home from Canada at the border in the 90's.. when asked if I had anything to declare, I said "only the crown jewels and looked down and laughed"... 2 hours later I was back en route with a car that had absolutely everything disassembled and disheveled inside.

I have never been hassled in Canada they ask a few standard questions, have a great time see you next time. I have been stopped for hours on end in the states coming back, Had my Toy Home turned in side out had ever thing in my car dumped on the pavement because they found a eagle feather on the dash, it belonged to the Indian gal and her young kids with me (perfectly legal for her to have it) been kept for 4 hours and questioned and finally released when they called the PD I worked for. I filed a formal complaint and they did admit the one crossing I usually go through is a training site. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another 1/2 hour wasted research at my local Canadian Tire. Absolutely nothing to offer. Closest they proposed for my imaginary VW Westy is a 205/75R14.

Oddly, on local radio, Westlake is running a series of ads but when I look on their website, they don't have a single dealer/retailer in Quebec!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep info together, it seems that Sailun Tires is about the only source (that I've found) for a true Winter/Ice tire with their WST1.

http://www.sailuntire.ca/PLT/WST1.html

I got email replies from them about any 4-Season tires they might offer:-

"Yes Sailun does build the SL12 in 185r14 but we typically do not stock it in Canada as we have very little (if any non winter) call for this size here."

"Winter tires are available (for our retailers from our Vaughan warehouse)  today and the SL12 is available for us to order from the factory but we haven’t ever ordered non winters in Canada.

I just ordered some on our next production order so we should see those Mar/Apr into our Toronto area (Vaughan) warehouse. Your forum members can locate one of our retailers in Canada by visiting http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/dealer-locator.html where they can request the SL12.

I doubt many of our retailers will stock these but we will have them available in our warehouse and they can order from here. Western Canada may take up to a week for delivery but most of eastern Canada is a 1, 2, or 3 day delivery.

Pricing is up to the retailer but I would ball park it about 140-150 per tire - plus tax and any provincial disposal fees that may apply."

http://www.sailuntyre.eu/PLT/SL12.html

Maybe of interest for anyone wanting to remove foolies and run a single rear tire, they also list a 195R14 (not 195/75R14) rated for 2095lb/1985lb @ 65psi.

My next step will be to drop by my local Sailun Dealer and see what their reaction will be. And prices! :)

• 1 year later...

Never heard of 'Antares' tires before. Not easy to find much other references to them. I'm always suspicious when they don't list a Street (or even P.O. Box) address or phone number or even an email address. Nowhere on their website is there a 'Where to buy' or 'Dealers' button. I guess I'll send them a message and see if they reply. Do they really expect a consumer to work this hard to buy their product? :)