Winterizing a 'rig'

red-ryder

it is time to thinking of putting our 'toys' up for the winter.............

i betcha you have bought many blue and silver 'pacific-rim' thru the years, that have degraded in the first year. a sign company was taking down the temporary vinyl sign, i asked and was given, for free, the no-longer needed sign, cut it to the size i needed, am still using it, all these years!

the large freeway build boards are as much as 14 feet by 40 feet! more than enough to cover a micro-mini motorhome! find a tarp shop and you can have a custom cover made for your 'toy'

L@@K for a crew changing-out a freeway sign, and ask to 'buy' their old sign. i found an advertisement in a swap N show paper for used signs.....$50 for the huge signs. $35 for the medium signs, $30 for the 'little fellers'.

good luck

red

Thank you for this thread! Red, I was just about to go out and buy a tarp and knew that it likely wouldn't last too long. Hope that the billboard will last longer. In any case I like the fact that it is recycling something instead of wasting a valuable resource. Thank you Linda for posting the link! Turns out that the place is just a couple of miles from my house. $48 including tax and I will pick it up this afternoon.  Probably another $20 for grommets and bungees and my little Toy will be safely tucked in for the winter.

Wade

OK, so the billboard is actually more heavy duty than the most expensive tarps available at Menards.  The one I got was 14 X 48'.  I probably should have cut it down some. Unfortunately the grommet kit I purchased had a tough time punching the holes. I started really hitting hard with the hammer when on grommet #3, I connected with my finger. Can't believe I finished doing this by myself as my finger is still hurting like crazy many hours later!  In any case I hope it will be OK for this winter as snow is supposed to come tomorrow.  Thought you might want a look at what a billboard on a Toyota actually looks like when done alone at a dealine;-)

IMG_20161117_153254.jpg

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Well now that your done I remembered many people recommend putting a couple of bins or plastic saw horses on the roof so the snow doesn't build up. You know make the roof pitched.

Linda S

Ran out of time to make the Styrofoam rafters I had Planned.  Like The bin idea - oh well. Leaf blower it will have to be.

Yeah bet that would do it. It is important to not let the weight build up. Snow is heavy. One year I saw a Scamp trailer somewhere up north for sale for pennies because the roof had caved in from snow. And they have curved roofs that I always thought were super strong.

Linda S

Frankly I didn't like walking up there to put on the tarp. Snow is going to be a bugger but a small price to pay for living in such a wonderful place and having the toy home as well.

Wade