Hello All, Two questions I need help on (thanks in advance):

1) My rear semi-metallic brakes shoes (driver side) got axle oil on them from a leaking axle seal, can I just clean them up with brake cleaner, or do they need to be replaced (they only have about 1,000 miles on them)?

2) Regarding the inter axle seal (might be called the outer seal), does the Spring end go in first?  If so, does it go all the way in to the tapered part, or just in far enough in to be flush with the outer housing?

Thank you, Dennis...

axle1.JPG

axle2.JPG

Spring first.

Look at your axle and see where the seal was riding, put the new seal somewhere else. Seat it deeper or shallower.

How much were the brake shoes and what is your time worth.

I have cleaned oiled brake shoes before with chlorinated cleaner, but its getting hard to find. Forget about the new safety cleaner.

I had really bad set that would not clean, so after 2 tries they were replaced.   Time vs money.

Edited by WME

The Toyota sites are telling me that brake shoes absorb axle grease like crazy. No matter how much you clean it out when they heat up more will ooze out and cause problems. That said I didn't replace my Nissan shoes and they had been soaked in axle grease for I don't know how long. Cleaned them really well and never had a problem since. Ditto to WME on the direction

Linda S

On the inner seal, does it need to be flush with the hub, or stick out a little. Looks like yours is sticking out a little.

I installed my flush, and the Toyota brand seal (vs the Advanced Auto brand I used in the past) went on a lot tighter/harder.

Also, I just realized that I did not grease up the Hub cylinder (or whatever it is called), but did grease up the bearings, is that going to be an issue?

Thanks, Dennis...

For max seal life the seal OR the axle surface need to have oil on it before install.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...