Newbie looking for buying advice

Badgerbear

Hello, I'm ready to buy a motorhome and have been attracted to these toyota's.  I don't need to pull anything and don't mind going slow just as long as I get there reliably.  I've never owned a motorhome or anything like one.  Don't really wanna go over $4000 on the initial purchase..  

Any thoughts on this one?  bj4sh-5861384363@sale.craigslist.org

Well I can't see the one your talking about here. You need to copy the url for the ad not the reply email. How much time have you spent on this site and others learning about what to look for. If you know nothing about motorhomes I suggest you learn as much as you can. Finding a good condition Toyota motorhome for only 4 grand is going to be a challenge. You going to need to know what to look for in the engine and all the parts of the coach. Appliances that work, shell that's not rotten, tires, brakes. I also recommend that you go see and drive some that might be out of your price range. If you've never driven one how can you know you want one.

Linda S

I did a decent amount of learning about these rigs last year on (I guess) the yahoo Toyota motorhome page. I test drove an 82 dolphin that had way to much water damage/rotten walls and a 89 or 90 mini Winnie that overheated on me and had tons of issues.  I now see that it will be hard to find something that I can afford that doesn't have issues.  But I need a home=\

It looks pretty clean but they did have to replace the roof. Doesn't say anything about possible damage inside the walls. If you go look at it you had better check them carefully. Then like I said need to be able to check all appliances. Yes it says they are new but they are not. Fridge is an older model so they replaced it but didn't buy new.

Linda S

Well a repaired roof is probably better than one needing roof repair. I see missing roof vent and water damage on ceiling. Mind you looking at pictures is not exactly an RV inspection. If what you buy is going to be your home for a while make sure the furnace works too

Linda S

More photos of the ceiling... Mini cruiser.   thanks it is a 5 hrs drive for me to check it out so I appreciate you expert options!

image_zpstncvqgzz.jpeg

image_zps5vwf0v7k.jpeg

image_zpsuf5pdtjj.jpeg

image_zpsw9t7www4.jpeg

image_zpsahcwint0.jpeg

image_zps3kywrmcu.jpeg

image_zpsdvq37idp.jpeg

Edited by Badgerbear

The ceiling I saw the water damage was the Dolphin. This one is probably new paneling they put up to finish the inside after replacing the roof.  Rumpled wall pare near stove could just be from cooking steam or might need window resealed. Not difficult to do. When you go look at it make sure you push firmly on all walls looking for weak spots. Most important to me is the front overhead cab has a nice straight line across the bottom. means it's not sagging from rot. For most Mini Cruisers that is a problem area. Good luck. I hope it works out for you. This one is a little smaller than most too so easier to park and maybe a little lighter for mileage.

Linda S

Who hoo!  Think I'm gonna make the drive.  I've never had an engine with a carburetor before, is there anything o should be aware of?

Update:. I decided to try to find one closer.  Had a deal on a short bus fall through...  Think I'm going to look at a 84 Nissan/Datsun 18'sunrader in Portland $5000 Obo.  A little over budget, but a sunrader would be great

Edited by Badgerbear
Misspelling

1 hour ago, Badgerbear said:

Update:. I decided to try to find one closer.  Had a deal on a short bus fall through...  Think I'm going to look at a 84 Nissan/Datsun 18'sunrader in Portland $5000 Obo.  A little over budget, but a sunrader would be great

Looked at the ad. It's very cute. Yes you can get that kind of mileage but not at 70mph. Stay closer to 60 and you can expect great mileage. These engine have a little less power than the Toyota 4 bangers but in a little Sunrader should be fine.

Linda S

Well the 18' sunrader was crazy rusty, running like crap, rotten floor, all sorts of leaks Ect... Just horrible.  Made another hour trip to Portland again this morning to look at a 85 Toyota shasta.  Seemed pretty good mechanically just lots of water damage, rotten cab, and generally dingy.  There is a 87 larger sunrader 3 hrs from me in Eugene for $6000 that seems well cared for.  I may be willing to spend that much if it is actually pretty nice.  New head gasket,exhaust manifold, timing belt, shocks,tires,rear frame rebuild, toilet. It is an automatic tho, which concerns me a bit. 

http://eugene.craigslist.org/rvs/5872543817.html 

appreciate your help!

Edited by Badgerbear