Adding heating element to roof top air

hunkaman

The camper power cord is not the problem it is a #10 wire that will handle 30 amps. Its rating is fine for the length but don't add anything to it. The outlets are made for an RV they do not connect to the wire with screws they are a type of Scotch lock that cuts through the insolation as the outlet is assembled so there is no real excess of wire they are not much over 1" thick. You may want to pull one out as much as you can and measure the depth there is very little space and you may not be able to buy a box and outlet that will be shallow enough to fit in the wall. It may be possible to use a box extension but it sure will look ugly. You will also find there is no excess of wire because of the way they attach to the Romex and more often than not they are stapled so you can't pull enough wire to strip the wires to fit in a normal box. I'm just saying this to let you know it is not normal wiring and it would be best to take one apart before you jump in with both feet.

Appreciate that Maineah! My rigs in storage till Spring. I didn't know the outlets are wired that way. Thought they were 2 wires like @ home. I already bought 3 high quality outlets but they have the 2 screw mounts so I guess worthless? So how do you replace these old outlets then and what do you use? I'm thinkin' ahead till Spring & Thanks! Mark

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

Appreciate that Maineah! My rigs in storage till Spring. I didn't know the outlets are wired that way. Thought they were 2 wires like @ home. I already bought 3 high quality outlets but they have the 2 screw mounts so I guess worthless? So how do you replace these old outlets then and what do you use? I'm thinkin' ahead till Spring & Thanks! Mark

The problem is depth and the fact that there is really no excess of wire that you would find in a house hold box. When you wire up a house outlet you have wire sticking out of a box that's not the case in MH's the wire run in one side and out the other (until you get to the end of the run). Inside of the outlet the wires are separated from the jacket and a "V" shaped terminal cuts through the wire insolation inside of the outlet as it's put together so the wire inside is very short. Can it be done yes but it will require joints and wire nuts and most likely box extensions to me the fewer joints you have in wiring the better off you are.You most likely have a GFI some where in the MH  that is done with normal wiring but you will notice it also has a large box extension in order to have space for wiring and depth for the outlet so it can be installed in the wall. The outlets really are not that bad if they work they will probably continue to do so for many more years they are rated for 15 amps. If it makes you feel better most MH wiring fires are caused by the 12 volt wiring not the 120 volt stuff.

Edited by Maineah

I don't have any GFI outlets. There are only 3 outlets total. They all work fine but one outlet got Really hot when I was running a 750 watt space heater last Fall. I think WME suggested replacing the old outlets. Didn't know it would be that difficult! Any suggestions on where to buy the outlets and how to install? Grannie is in storage till Spring. 

2 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

I don't have any GFI outlets. There are only 3 outlets total. They all work fine but one outlet got Really hot when I was running a 750 watt space heater last Fall. I think WME suggested replacing the old outlets. Didn't know it would be that difficult! Any suggestions on where to buy the outlets and how to install? Grannie is in storage till Spring. 

Here are outlets from a motorhome supplier but I've got to say I see no difference between these and a regular house outlet except maybe thinner. They have GFI outlets too just keep looking through pages. I replaced a GFI outlet in my girlfriends Roadtrek and used one from Home Depot. Works fine and looked exactly like the one I removed.

Linda S

forgot link

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RV-ReceptaclesOutlets_c_336-1-1.html

Those are standard household receptacles, the Toys I have seen use this.  An unstripped wire is run through it and the 2 parts are clamped together piercing the wire.  I am not aware of a special GFI outlet for RV's,  but there are many things I am not aware of.

toy.PNG

Edited by jjrbus

I hope your right Linda. Much easier to replace! Thanks All!

13 hours ago, linda s said:

I was referring to the standard receptacle on the first page here. Looks like a house one to me and this is a rv parts place

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Self-contained-Receptacle-White.html

Linda S

Must be the newer RV's use standard household receptacles??

There is no box that is the problem except for the GFI and that has a box extension to give it enough space that is why it sticks out from the wall.

22 hours ago, linda s said:

I was referring to the standard receptacle on the first page here. Looks like a house one to me and this is a rv parts place

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Self-contained-Receptacle-White.html

Linda S

That is correct Linda it is the very same thing you can buy at a big box store for less that $1 but the one jjrbus posted is more than likely what you will find in most MH's and campers because of space restrictions.