WANTED TO SHARE THIS LITTLE PROJECT. I DECIDED TO INSTALL A FUEL COVER LOCKING HATCH ON MY 92 WARRIOR. I FOUND A HATCH COVER ON LINE THAT WAS NOT TOO BIG, BUT BIG ENOUGH.  THE CHALLENGE WAS THAT THE METAL RETAINING PLATE OR COLLAR THAT HOLDS THE FILLER TUBE  IN PLACE WITH SCREWS IN THE CABIN BODY IS  OVAL OR ELONGATED. MOST OF THE HATCH COVERS I FOUND ONLINE WERE  MORE SQUARE THAN RECTANGULAR. I FABRICATED A SPACER FROM 1/4" THICK PLASTIC AND CUT A HOLE IN IT TO MATCH THE SHAPE OF THE FILLER RETAINING PLATE AND LEFT ENOUGH OF THE PLASTIC MATERIAL ON ALL SIDES TO ACCOMMODATE THE OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS OF THE HATCH COVER. NOT WISHING TO ADD ANY MORE HOLES IN MY WINNIE, I MOUNTED THE SPACER TO THE COACH BODY WITH A 3M INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH DOUBLE SIDED TAPE THAT IS EXTREMELY THIN, THEN USED THREADED INSERTS TO MOUNT THE HATCH COVER TO THE SPACER. I FOUND SOME EPOXY SPRAY PAINT THAT CLOSELY MATCHED THE COACH AND PAINTED THE SPACER BEFORE MOUNTING.TO FINISH UP I CAULKED THE SPACER TO THE BODY . I WORKS WELL AND I THINK IT DRESSED UP THE OVERALL LOOK AND AFFORDS A LITTLE PROTECTION WITH IT HAVING A LOCK NOW. I DID NOT THINK TO TAKE ANY PICS OF THE "BEFORE" MY BAD.  OVER ALL COST WAS ABOUT $50.00 WITH THE HATCH COVER BEING $40.00 WITH SHIPPING. JOE FROM DOVER

100_1724.JPG

100_1725.JPG

100_1726.JPG

100_1723.JPG

• 4 months later...

hey derek, the reason for the "off set" is due to the size of the hatch cover (height and width), in relation to the dimensions of the fuel filler mounting collar.  while researching the hatch covers, i found many sizes, but most were larger than i wanted. the one i bought was large enough to fit over  the elongated or oval shaped fuel filler collar, but not so large as to look "goofy" after install. the method i chose to mount the hatch cover required the off set to maximize entry to the filler. is my explanation clear as mud ??     jmowrey--i know i have the link info, just need to find it. as soon as i do i will post it. thanks for you comments. joe from dover

hey there derek, i am sure you make your ancestors proud !  i try to make a dollar stretch enough that i can read the newspaper through it. being frugal seems to be a lost art on many i know. joe from dover.