Wanting to change my gear oil on my toy. Which is better synthetic or conventional ? I have conventional 80w90 and synthetic Royal Purple 75w140 

I run Mobil 1 sun in both transmission and rear dif. 75/90 in trans, 75/140 in rear dif.

Personal opinion, I'll never go back to conventional oil.

A word of warning to those who are thinking about the lube in the rear axle.

There is nothing that stinks as much as 30 year old rear axle lube, it will forever ruin any clothing it touches. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. :shit:

Similar in nature to chain cases in snowmobiles, if the tranny had a lot of abuse and heat it will stink like burnt garlic n cheerios. don't ask me why i think that its just what it smells like to me.

Wow I must have been so worried about doing it wrong I never noticed the smell. My Nissan holds 3 quarts of gear oil and when I changed it there was maybe a couple of cups in there. Thick and black. Bet it smelled terrible. I never even noticed. I was so worried that it was going to be shot completely. Not. Toughest differential on the planet. Probably should do the Toyota. Darn you guys. Now I'm going to know that it stinks

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

aw the smell of old time wrecking yards. and old old gear  oil            . I have seen some very old gear oil  and it has a very strong smell in hot wheather. in the way old days you went to a yu pull it yard for a trans or a rear end . and you just pulled the  drain                  plug then you pulled the part .those old yards had well oiled ground. now thankfully the cars are all drained of any fluids.