Heater thermostat

WyoCoach

I have a 1984 Dolphin with a thermostat that won't turn off. Will a regular home thermostat at the hardware store work?

MOST rv thermostats have a small on/off switch on the bottom. Have you tried it?

A millivolt house stat works ok, spend a few bucks more and get a heat only digital stat. It will have set backs.  

Like WRE said a computer type with preset is really nice, cool at night warm in the morning so you don't freeze making coffee!

I think that I posted  before where I ran a 2 conductor wire from the furnace thermostat to an on-off switch at the head of the over cab bed. If it is cold before I get up I just reach above my head,  flip the switch and turn the furnace on . I have the T-STAT preset for 70*. Has come in handy a number of times since I installed it.  You might want to consider this after you get your new T-stat going.  The benefit outweighs the time and cost.
Homer

DSC08999.JPG

21 hours ago, WME said:

MOST rv thermostats have a small on/off switch on the bottom. Have you tried it?

A millivolt house stat works ok, spend a few bucks more and get a heat only digital stat. It will have set backs.  

Another reason to use a digital t-stat is that they are not affected by being off level.  The traditional home stat with mercury switch can be off a fair amount if you are not parked level.

Great ideas! Thanks for the info. I will probably go with both the digital set back and the on of switch. 

I bought a Honeywell programmable for like $26 at Walmart, set up the programs for morning and nite, etc. Nice to have it warm in here when I get up! Of course after I bought it about 4 months later the furnace crapped out. Changed the control board $72, that worked for 6 weeks and it wouldn't lite again. Ordered a sail switch and just got it changed this morning, now it seems to running fine again.

On 10/19/2016 at 10:22 AM, WyoCoach said:

I have a 1984 Dolphin with a thermostat that won't turn off. Will a regular home thermostat at the hardware store work?

I thought mine was the same, but then I found it underneath and had to push on it very hard.