Stupid Question (Maybe?)

HannahSunrader84

Hello! I bought my '84 Sunrader at the end of September, the previous owner had made lot's of "improvements". One of which was to take the inside frames off of the windows in the cabover bed, then he taped them on with roofing tape (the bane of my existence). Then he was confused about why it was leaking.... Anyway I have a very basic and possibly stupid question about the windows. I have one pulled out, am I correct in my assumption that the inside frame screws down to the outside frame creating a seal by tightening together on your sealant (butyl tape) ? Thank you in advance for your wisdom and help!

I'll post pictures as I have them!

Hannah

I would agree with your description, Hannah. Remove the frames, reapply the butyl tape (make sure you have plenty at the corners), screw the frames back together and you should be good. For extra insurance, you can also caulk around the window exterior, but it probably won't be necessary if the butyl tape is done right.

So I'm assuming you had the Sunrader with the flat windows in the front. Yes the inside trim strip is required to seal and hold the window in place. I hope you still have them. Replacements would be very expensive because they would need to be custom made

Linda S

So you remove the outside windows and re-seal with butyl tape. Push the windows back on firmly and have someone inside to put the trim in place and start screwing it back on. Move around the window as you tighten. Don't put one screw all the way tight at a time. Oh and try to match up the screw holes on the inside trim to the ones left in the outside. Butyl tape will ooze out around the outside of the windows, thats a good thing means theres enough in there. Scrape off with a plastic putty knife. Easy to work with, like play dou

Linda S