Venice Beach, CA 1990 WB Toy Home stolen.

zulandio

Someone on another forum that also posted this act suggested getting the Club...I went out and bought one and feel just a little more secure now.I hope he got it back :(

RE: The Club and vehicle security.

Speaking from theoretical experience of a misspent youth.... "The Club" is about a 60 second speedbump (and sometimes significantly less...) to any determined vehicle thief.

Some interviewed thieves confirmed that theoretical experience thusly:

" At some point, the Club was mentioned. The professional thieves laughed and exchanged knowing glances. What we knew was that the Club is a hardened steel device that attaches to the steering wheel and the brake pedal to prevent steering and/or braking. What we found out was that a pro thief would carry a short piece of a hacksaw blade to cut through the plastic steering wheel in a couple seconds. They were then able to release The Club and use it to apply a huge amount of torque to the steering wheel and break the lock on the steering column (which most cars were already equipped with). The pro thieves actually sought out cars with The Club on them because they didn’t want to carry a long pry bar that was too hard to conceal. "

(there are at least two youtube video compilations showing just that, thieves bypassing The Club is under 60 seconds.. usually *well* under.)

2 hours ago, Palfreyman said:

RE: The Club and vehicle security.

Speaking from theoretical experience of a misspent youth.... "The Club" is about a 60 second speedbump (and sometimes significantly less...) to any determined vehicle thief.

Some interviewed thieves confirmed that theoretical experience thusly:

" At some point, the Club was mentioned. The professional thieves laughed and exchanged knowing glances. What we knew was that the Club is a hardened steel device that attaches to the steering wheel and the brake pedal to prevent steering and/or braking. What we found out was that a pro thief would carry a short piece of a hacksaw blade to cut through the plastic steering wheel in a couple seconds. They were then able to release The Club and use it to apply a huge amount of torque to the steering wheel and break the lock on the steering column (which most cars were already equipped with). The pro thieves actually sought out cars with The Club on them because they didn’t want to carry a long pry bar that was too hard to conceal. "

(there are at least two youtube video compilations showing just that, thieves bypassing The Club is under 60 seconds.. usually *well* under.)

wow, thats interesting, I have a lock pick that could probably unlock it in under a minute too. but I guess theres not much sense in hardened steel when the steering wheel is made of plastic! 

I wonder if this poor guys rig was hot-wired? 

seems like a hidden kill switch is the cheapest / best way to go.

11 hours ago, Jeffrey Burger said:

How about just staying away from Southern California?...:-)

I do.. can't say I am missing my toy home either :)

of course one is always welcome to try and take mine from my GSD should they get the urge to culturally appropriate my safe space.

We've tested him with strangers and steaks and he wont eat until the stranger is the steak.

14 hours ago, Totem said:

I do.. can't say I am missing my toy home either :)

of course one is always welcome to try and take mine from my GSD should they get the urge to culturally appropriate my safe space.

We've tested him with strangers and steaks and he wont eat until the stranger is the steak.

I've had my toy home parked on the street for over a year in the heart of los Angeles' sf valley in van nuys. Not a single issue. 

I actually feel more comfortable parking it on the well lit street with lots of close neighbors (several Mexican-American families) than I do parking it up Maine at our family camp.

I'd be interested to hear more of the details in this case ie. Were all the windows locked and curtains closed? Visibility to the coach through cab? Valuables in sight? how long it was there? 

Also, I'm not an authority on the matter, but isn't it a bit tricky to cross the border with a stolen vehicle? Swap vins?

Oh and a dog is huge for theft prevention

Edited by bicoastal eric

The mexican government these days is more concerned with keeping its people from fleeing it rather than inspecting any incoming assets.

Edited by Totem

Yeah, getting a stolen vehicle into Mexico is a breeze.  Part of my job is recovering stolen vehicles that end up down there.  The problem has not gone away.

I recommend a kill switch that's well hidden.