My 4 Month "what have I done today" History

Purchased 1993 Itasca Spirit in June with 138,000 mi. New engine 20,000 miles.( Original trans.:(.)

1. 2 new tires.

2.  Rubbed off all cracked stripes & re-striped exterior after restoring fiberglass siding...then 6 coats of Zep "wet look" floor finish.

3. Painted front and rear bumpers black, hood white.

4. Sealed aluminum roof and seams.

5.  Shimmed fridge door for proper closing

6.  Adjusted entry door and used several new screws to the slightly loose and rattling frame.

7.   Replaced valve stems in lav.faucet

8.   Replaced broken porch light with led model

9.   Replaced holding tank sensors

10. "Zepped" all interior wood cabinets and vinyl floor

11.  Bought 2000W. Generator

12.  Bought portable A/C

13.  Seat covers and floor mats in cab

14.  Removed broken furnace - connected 10' hose to existing LP and using quick connect for new Mr. Heater.

15.  Caulked leaking Fantastic Fan mount.

16. Caulked leaking clearance lights

17. Caulked bath fixtures and around kitchen counter

18.  Replaced all interior lights w/LEDs.

19.  Put 3000 miles on it and camped 7 times or so. Leaving for a family reunion (2000 miles). Next Wednesday..wonder how she will do going over the Grapevine in So. Cal.?

20. Oh yea...2 oil changes now using synthetic oil...trans. flush.

Purchased for $9500

Total approximate cost to date.  $12,000. Sooo glad I'm retired now!.

21. Forgot about the new windshield for the cracked and leaking one.

22. Repaired radio antenna

23. Installed microwave

24.  Made new stove cover

25.  Used recharge kit for r134 cab air.(still cold after 3months (for now)!

Just got back from So.Cal trip...2200 miles with no issues...Yay! (Solid 15 mpg. Used 1 quart of oil, slowest on steepest grades 45mph- 50mph on steep grades. Average cruising speed throughout trip 60mph (3VZE engine).

Edited by Jeffrey Burger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Sherri & Welcome! I have a post describing the entire process of restoring fiberglass called the Magic of Zep. I was inspired by Jeffrey! He's amazing!

• 3 months later...

October 2017 update...had valve job done on engine along with timing belt, hoses, fan belts, plugs and wires..idles well now even though gas mileage is still around 13 hwy @ 60mph. Burnt exhaust valve was culprit. We have put about 10,000 miles since July 2016 and are now in our 3rd. multi week trip in Vancouver BC with our cats. Replaced all four mini blinds after one broke...(Canadian exchange rate was greatly appreciated)! We will be headed back home to Vancouver USA after this 3 week outing with our cats. Oh yes, total amount spent on our Toy to date is approximately $15,000 which includes new tires, muffler and engine repair. Forgot to mention re-installing front and side over cab windows and painted bathroom sink, toilet lid and shower pan with Krylon paint for plastic.20160827_173733.thumb.jpg.64c4ac2efe581752535faeb0078a70de.jpg

20170429_224451.jpg

Edited by Jeffrey Burger

Ha! Good picture. How did you handle the diesel exhaust fumes on your lovely campsite Lol!

Looks good!   At $15k you are still not into it for the 1st year depreciation on a new one......and you would not have had all that fun and met all these super cool people. 

• 2 weeks later...

I probably could get between $12,000 -$15,000 if I were to sell it. My wife and I are kind of attached to it- almost like a member of the family!!! Weird but fun!

20171031_201733.jpg

20171029_204032.jpg

20171031_201647.jpg

20171031_201801.jpg