Magnetek 6300 series charging confusion

Jeffrey Burger

my Magnetek model 6332 power centers' charging section has been replaced.I know this because the owner's manual has a revision date 3 years after my 1993 Itasca Spirit was built. The unit is a 6332s and the manual explains the 3 power levels of charging it does for the coach battery. I thought the 63xx series was a single stage unit. I have been looking at various web sites where it seems that "everyone" is updating the charging section because the old Magnetek boils batteries because it is a "Single Stage" unit. Wouldn't a charger that changes it's charging rate as described be a multi stage charger?

The Magnetek 63XX came w/wo a charger. The charger is option C. Without the charger it is a constant voltage power supply.

WME, are you saying that the power center may not have had a charging section and the original owner had to install it later? Also that didn't answer my question..I will try to explain it better. Several people have upgraded their converter chargers to 3 or 4 stage units because the 6300 series from Magnetek is a single stage charger that is hard on batteries. My owners' guide  says that the charger in my 6332 (32 Amp) charger senses battery charge state and varies the charging rate based on state of charge. Is that not a multi stage charger?

P.S. maybe I should get a Dodge Charger 'cause I seem to like the word so much.:-)

Thanks, Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Burger

IN the original 6332, C option was a 6 amp fixed voltage charger, not a 3 stage.

If your manual says your unit has a 3 stage charger then the power section has been replaced with a modern unit and you should be just fine IF your replacement is working correctly. Keep your $$ for something else.

• 2 weeks later...

My first and second toys had 6325 Magnetek and I left them alone.  Current toy had a 6332 and the converter/charger section was really overheating.  That's why I replaced mine.

use a multi tester to check the output.   I have the same vehicle.  Note that the house battery is isolated when 120vac is present, and the converter charges the battery.  The converter also powers all dc appliances.  a hot converter can be caused by charging a depleted battery, a defective battery and by running the 12v dc stuff too.   

if I plug in to 120vac for multiple days, after a day I will depower, then disconnect the house battery so it does not overcharge.  I do believe the converter is supposed to step down to a maintenance charge level but I have reservations on that.

The owners' guide describes 3 charging levels for the battery charger. The cooling fan has come on at various times when on shore power and using a lot of 12v items.The unit itself seems to work just fine and the 2 year old coach battery water levels and charge capacity seem fine .