The dreaded cabover leak

Jeffrey Burger

Can someone describe the construction of the front lower curved portion of a '93 Warrior? I have a small leak that leeched  up a foam mattress just at the edge of the rolled inner plastic wall (See photo). I assume that the leak is at the front window because the water is on the inside edge of the ridged foam that is just under the inside plastic sheeting. Would I be correct about the window - and can I caulk aroud is without removing it? I have been using Proflex RV which seems to be very good at sticking.  Thaks all!  Jeff

P_20161015_092347.jpg

3 or4 possibilities,

1 It ain't the window, check clearance lights, front hatch. Water will flow a long way.

2 The frame is the leak, remove window and frame, then reseal with butyl tape.

3 The glass is not sealing against the frame, remove window from frame and reseal with window sealant. Black goo. Very unlikely

4 The problem is condensation on the inside of the window, open a vent at night

5 The window frame drains are blocked or maybe not even there. Water will weep through the glass/frame and fill up the inside groove and over flow eventually. #4 problem acts the same way.

I used Proflex RV for some seams on my Dolphin. It stuck real well initially. Three seasons on, I'm not impressed. I've also had some problems with it splitting and cracking. I suspect I'll be peeling it off and doing it over after another season or two. Dang.

Thanks for the input..I believe it can only be the window frame or clearance lights. The silicone used by the previous owner was not adhering well around the lights..especially the one nearest where the leak is.The window frame seems to have a tight seal around it and no evidence of any staining or leaking anywhere near it.I sealed the lights.We have had almost solid rain for 2 days with more to come.

I don't think it is possible for it to be the side window because the RV is parked in a driveway facing uphill and leaning a coiple of degrees right. I have a feeling that if the clearance lights weren't the culprit I will have to remove the front window. Does anybody know that if you tighten the inside screws around the window does it squeeze it tighter to the body of the RV?

October 30th. update...side window is in fact the source of the leak!

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Burger

First I know not what a Winnebago roof or cowl is made of so the below is just some info maybe.

Check the area where the actual flat roof material meets up with the front cowling. Will be just where the curve starts. You might not even be able to see the leak spot though. With a stiff bristle brush clean the areas, blow off dust with compressed air then apply some of this stuff or similar "DICOR EPDM RUBBER ROOF LAP SEALANT". I make a small putty knife out of a stick with a knife (Only needs to be about 1/2 inch wide) then as you apply the dicor work the sealant into the area. 

If you have a rubber roof check along the edges as some of the rubber roofs actually go over the edge and down the side a bit. That edge is probe to getting damaged from tree branches. You can use Dicor there also.

Another possibility is microscopic corrosion holes in the aluminum cowl or roof (does Winnebago use alum in the roof and cowl?). They siphon water inside, drip drip drip (little drips). You might be able to see corrosion spots, paint raised from underneath. You have to try and kill the corrosion before you do anything. I have heard some say you need to repaint to seal the holes and others say a good heavy wax.

Thanks Greg...I think I fixed the leak by caulking the clearance lights..(Fingers Crossed) it rained like a MoFo last night and seems dry in there today.

Sorry to hear that, at least it seems like a easy fix. As for now we have had quite a bit of rain since I used the proflex around the lights...I think I got the leak stopped.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...after all that and a 2200 mile trip to L.A. and back- the leak actually turned out to be the side sliding window. Thank-you Linda S. Ordered a roll of butyl tape- guess what I'm gonna do this week!

By the way, 2200 miles my Spirit ran flawlessly with its 142,000 miles on it, got a solid 15 MPG. Average comfortable cruising speed 60 mph. 50 mph up all but the steepest grades. 40-45 2nd gear light to medium throttle up the worst uphill climbs. V6 used 1 qt. of oil in 2000 miles. Really love owning this little R.V.

20161020_145719.jpg

Wish I could get that kind of mileage in my 4 banger. Not even @ 50 MPH. How did you do that??

I use overdrive on level ground, the worst I've gotten which included the mountain passes over Shasta and Southern Oregon was about 13mpg. your 4 should get at least 2 to 3 more mpg than the six from what I've read.

Take a hose to it - have someone inside -- if it is the lights or window it should show up.   Another thing is condensation - especially in cold environments.   When it warms up the water will run down inside.

I had a 92 itasca spirit and now have a 93 WW.    I replaced the butyl seal on the front window - not that hard to do.   Once I lost a clearance light lens - it poured in.  Sealing where the lights mount to body.  The seal where the lens pops off is probably not the issue. 

On the 92 II, I think water was going between the frame & the glass under heavy rain.  I took some plastic sheeting  and made a tray under the window - taped the plastic sheeting under the window and formed what for lack of better description I would call a rain gutter.  In heavy rain a little water would gather there. 

BTW, the  pic does not look all that bad.   Is it soft around that area?   

Edited by DanAatTheCape

No not soft, you would never know there was a leak..I temporarily duct taped the outside frame only and will spray water on it, then again without the tape, that will tell me if it is a problem with the butyl seal. During a hard rain the window frame dripped down the inside wall..I hope it didn't get in the inside of the wall. By the way the window drain openings are working ok.