Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
82chinook

82 Chinook 4x4 conversion

Recommended Posts

I have an 82 Chinook with the camper removed and a regular bed in place of it. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to convert it to 4x4 by using my body and frame. I essentially just want to put a solid axle (and steering set up obviously) and a t case in my truck. Would anyone know the easiest way of doing this if there even is one? Below is a pic of my truck.

received_1113846568670946.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a couple of 4WD conversions of Datsun and Toyota trucks back in the 70s before the were available OEM. Lot of work.  Why reinvent the wheel now that they are factory made?  I'd just get a 4WD truck already setup and put your body on it - if  that is important to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree different transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, springs steering linkage cutting holes in the cab, long list. By the way that's not a one ton rear under your truck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an 81 chinook I'm planning on doing a 4x4 conversion. 

Parts I have acquired so far:

front axle from 1985 4runner

w56 and rf1a tcase

rear driveline from 4x4 long bed toyota

Rear axle from 1985 4Runner 

leaf springs from 1985 4runner

 

things I still need:

drag link/ pan hard. Probably gonna have to be custom because of how low I'm keeping it. 

Front drive shaft

Steering box still needs to be figured out. I would like to keep manual steering for simplicity, but if I run any larger tires than 32" I'll definitely need it. 

Things you will need to fabricate:

front spring hanger, the bolt holes are not the same as on a 4x4 chassis so readily available spring hangers won't mount up without modification.

rear shackle hangers, I am using my buddies frame tube jigs. 

Low steer crossover steering arm

drag link/pan hard 

 

All this is still contingent upon everything fitting. 

 

Its possible, if you have all the parts laying around. The only thing I bought was the trans and the drive shaft. That's only because I'm still using my w56 thats in my runner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2016 at 8:17 PM, Maineah said:

I agree different transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, springs steering linkage cutting holes in the cab, long list. By the way that's not a one ton rear under your truck.

 

Yeah I figured it wasn't. I just know how hard it is to find a good toyota frame which is why I wanted to attempt to swap everything onto mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thebrassnuckles said:

I have an 81 chinook I'm planning on doing a 4x4 conversion. 

Parts I have acquired so far:

front axle from 1985 4runner

w56 and rf1a tcase

rear driveline from 4x4 long bed toyota

Rear axle from 1985 4Runner 

leaf springs from 1985 4runner

 

things I still need:

drag link/ pan hard. Probably gonna have to be custom because of how low I'm keeping it. 

Front drive shaft

Steering box still needs to be figured out. I would like to keep manual steering for simplicity, but if I run any larger tires than 32" I'll definitely need it. 

Things you will need to fabricate:

front spring hanger, the bolt holes are not the same as on a 4x4 chassis so readily available spring hangers won't mount up without modification.

rear shackle hangers, I am using my buddies frame tube jigs. 

Low steer crossover steering arm

drag link/pan hard 

 

All this is still contingent upon everything fitting. 

 

Its possible, if you have all the parts laying around. The only thing I bought was the trans and the drive shaft. That's only because I'm still using my w56 thats in my runner. 

Okay thanks. That helps alot. The only thing I was gonna try and avoid was the transmission and transfer case swap. I was planning on using a divorced ford t case and just making driveshafts. And the fabricating spring hangers and stuff won't be a problem for me considering I work in a fab shop and can get and make anything I need there. The only thing I'm having trouble with is how to do the steering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering does your rig say Chinook anywhere on it. The campers that looked just like Chinooks in the 80's were actually made by General RV in San Bernardino. Bet yours is one of those

Linda S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 82chinook said:

Okay thanks. That helps alot. The only thing I was gonna try and avoid was the transmission and transfer case swap. I was planning on using a divorced ford t case and just making driveshafts. And the fabricating spring hangers and stuff won't be a problem for me considering I work in a fab shop and can get and make anything I need there. The only thing I'm having trouble with is how to do the steering.

The steering is an issue for myself. If you are keeping the stock motor, and dont have power steering such as myself, it's a bit of a predicament. I need to do some research to see if a power steering box from a later IFS bolts on, or if I'll need to fab custom mounts also, depending on what front axle you are using will dictate how difficult the linkage is. Toyota axles and crossover need 2+ inches of lift to fully clear. And most recommend over 3" too high for a motor home in my opinion. 

 

But im a low lift kinda guy. My 85 4Runner is on 35" tires and 19-20" at the frame. Spring under front and rear. I cut the hell out of the body to get it all to fit. Haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so I found out today when I got the title that my truck was actually a keystone not a chinook. But still the same thing. Pretty excited about starting on this thing. Just wondering what wheels are the same as these since it's only 5 lug. And was figuring I may be able to put a jeep axle under the front and get me a set of matching gears for the rear or just run a jeep axle on the rear and fabricate everything I need to. Didn't figure it would be that hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 82chinook said:

Okay so I found out today when I got the title that my truck was actually a keystone not a chinook. But still the same thing. Pretty excited about starting on this thing. Just wondering what wheels are the same as these since it's only 5 lug. And was figuring I may be able to put a jeep axle under the front and get me a set of matching gears for the rear or just run a jeep axle on the rear and fabricate everything I need to. Didn't figure it would be that hard.

If you end up finding a 6 lug front axle you should be able to just swap in the axle shafts from a 4x4 pre ifs (85 and older) Toyota. Axle shafts are nearly identical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 82chinook said:

Okay so I found out today when I got the title that my truck was actually a keystone not a chinook. But still the same thing. Pretty excited about starting on this thing. Just wondering what wheels are the same as these since it's only 5 lug. And was figuring I may be able to put a jeep axle under the front and get me a set of matching gears for the rear or just run a jeep axle on the rear and fabricate everything I need to. Didn't figure it would be that hard.

Wow I didn't think I would see a new one to me after all these years but this is the first I have ever heard of them. Checked and they made the micro mini until 1985. Too cool. Can you post a pic of your coach section?

Linda S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×