I'm looking at a rig that has lost compression in #6 cylinder, everything is decent except this issue. I'm trying to ballpark the cost to have engine rebuilt or replaced. I'm in Cali and whilst she drives fine she won't pass smog.

Thanks folks

I can't answer your question about the cost of a rebuild. However, the (relative) complexity and (relatively) high cost of doing the recommended 'clearance check and adjust valves' at 60k mile intervals can lead to it not being done, resulting in a burnt valve (reportedly most common in cylinder #6). You might only be looking at a valve job rather than a complete engine. So, perhaps people could also comment on what they've paid for a valve job.

Edit. P.S. If you care to mention where you are in California, perhaps someone can recommend a mechanic/shop near you. Also, check with your VIN for the 'head gasket recall'. Perhaps yours was never done. :)

2 hours ago, Leith said:

I'm looking at a rig that has lost compression in #6 cylinder, everything is decent except this issue. I'm trying to ballpark the cost to have engine rebuilt or replaced. I'm in Cali and whilst she drives fine she won't pass smog.

Thanks folks

Squirt some motor-oil in the low cylinder and recheck. If it comes up, it is NOT a valve problem.

I have no experience with the V6 but will say this.  In this day and age with the expenses involved in good machine  work, I'd never consider rebuilding an engine (and I've done many).  Not unless there were no other better options.  Companies that do mass rebuilding keep their costs down a lot lower then an individual can.  If I needed a replacement engine - it would be a rebuilt long-block on exchange, or a brand new engine if available.  Brand new 22RE and 22Rs are available for less then $2000.  I have no idea if anything like that is available for a V6. 

Thanks for that. At this point I'm looking at worse case cost to see if this rig is worth buying at all. So if I count 2k for a new engine, any idea how many hours labor at a shop to do the work? I don't have the facility to do this at home (nor the ability if I'm honest)

Thanks

If you have major good Karma, you may only need a valve adjustment. There is a small period of time between when the valve goes tight and the seat burns.

Edited by WME

I have paid for only one automobile repair in my life (at least that I can remember).  That is when my wife was driving our Toyota Minicruiser and the waterpump went on the interstate. That $20 waterpump wound up costing us $2000.    That cost included sending the head to a machine shop for a "check up", new head gasket,new water pump, etc.   In a way, I guess I got screwed, and also - I guess such a repair bill is normal.  I cannot imagine trusting someone to do the work you mention and not wind up with a HUGE bill.  Not unless you have a friend who is a great mechanic and will work for beer.  A generic rebuilt longblock is going to be around $1600 just for the parts. If a shop prices the job at 12 hours (just a guess) and charges $75 per hour - that comes to a total of at least $2500 and I doubt you'd ever get out the door that cheap.

9 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

Curious how you know it has lost compression in #6?  Owner tell you, have it tested? Jim

Yes, owner has told me. It failed smog and he had another place run compression test. Average shop rate around these part $110ph.

There was a recall on those engines someone in the Facebook group had Toyota honor it I don't know specifics but check on that they have to take the head off and if it's valves you'd get a cheaper valve job or maybe free.. 

diagnosing a bad valve is easy to do.   put compressed air in cylinder via spark plug hole and listen for where it comes out.  If piston is at TDC on a bad exhaust valve will allow the air to escape out the exhaust;

If the valve is badly burnt it will have to be replaced.  pulling the head is an all day job.  

I would do a compression check at least - that can be a DIY project, if one is able to remove spark plugs.   Autozone has loaner compression testers. 

On 10/12/2016 at 0:32 PM, jdemaris said:

.  Brand new 22RE and 22Rs are available for less then $2000.  I have no idea if anything like that is available for a V6. 

the "brand new" 22re for $2000 is not exactly brand new. Its remanufactured and not to factory tolerances. If you are aware of factory toyota engines still being built from toyota lines for $2k that would be a great find indeed. alas the re-manufactured motors have a history of not living so long in many many cases. one might get lucky, but as you stated machining a motor to be "new" with new parts is all we have left and most shops cranking them out at $2k wont make a motor that's gonna last long in the abuse we put on these things.

On 2016-10-13 at 4:48 PM, Totem said:

the "brand new" 22re for $2000 is not exactly brand new. Its remanufactured and not to factory tolerances. If you are aware of factory Toyota engines still being built from Toyota lines for $2k that would be a great find indeed. alas the re-manufactured motors have a history of not living so long in many many cases. one might get lucky, but as you stated machining a motor to be "new" with new parts is all we have left and most shops cranking them out at $2k won't make a motor that's gonna last long in the abuse we put on these things.

No Totem, I believe you are wrong. Please do not try to correct me unless you have some evidence to the contrary.  You cannot - at not at least until I refer to a specific deal. I know of several places that sell brand new Toyota engines. New blocks,new heads, etc. I cannot say if they are of the same quality as OEM was when these engines were built new.  I am talking about a brand new engine, not rebuilt. I DO know what the words mean.  I also know the difference from "rebuilt" and "new."  I can buy a brand-new 22RE for $1600 and a rebuilt for $1000.  I'm talking long-blocks.  I assume made in China just like the new complete heads with cams are.

Image5.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

If someone already did a compression check - why the heck wasn't some oil squirted into the low cylinder?  That is standard procedure and will tell you right away if the low reading is from a leaking valve or piston/cylinder wear.

On 2016-10-13 at 4:48 PM, Totem said:

the "brand new" 22re for $2000 is not exactly brand new. Its remanufactured and not to factory tolerances. If you are aware of factory Toyota engines still being built from Toyota lines for $2k that would be a great find indeed. alas the re-manufactured motors have a history of not living so long in many many cases. one might get lucky, but as you stated machining a motor to be "new" with new parts is all we have left and most shops cranking them out at $2k won't make a motor that's gonna last long in the abuse we put on these things.

Here is another brand-new one. That is . . unless  they are committing fraud and you have some inside info I am not privy to.

both.jpg

simple question that I qualified well... is this made by Toyota? if so that's a steal. I'd be willing to bet these engines are not OEM.

If you wish to take a ride on the Chinese clone wagon that's your business. Fraud would be claiming to have a brand new motor made by Toyota to OEM specs. I don't see any fraud here... nor OEM quality.

So have I corrected you? "from Toyota lines" - yes I have.

Your Chinese clones do not meet the test of my correction. Reading comprehension my friend...

On 2016-10-14 at 10:10 AM, Totem said:

simple question that I qualified well... is this made by Toyota? if so that's a steal. I'd be willing to bet these engines are not OEM.

Oh come on!  Spare me the BS.  I said they are new - and they are.  You said they are "not new" and you were wrong.   I never said they were made by Toyota.  It has been an Asian tradition for a long time to make brand new replacement engines instead of rebuilding. Or - like Datsun used to do - use brand-new casted cylinder-blocks so the cylinder-bores were standard size, but reuse major parts like rods and crankshafts.

In this case - all parts are new.  Brand new blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, head-castings, camshafts, etc.

The following is from you.   And it is wrong. That is unless you are reinventing the word "remanufactured."  These engines are "manufactured" new.  I will also note that I have requesting detailed info on them like nickel content in the block casting, if the crankshafts have hardened journals, harness of the valve seats, etc.  So far, I have not gotten those specs.  Are YOU claiming you did?  If so, please post along the source.

THIS is a quote from you . . "the "brand new" 22re for $2000 is not exactly brand new. Its remanufactured and not to factory tolerances. "

1 hour ago, jdemaris said:

Oh come on!  Spare me the BS.  I said they are new - and they are.  You said they are "not new" and you were wrong.   I never said they were made by Toyota.  It has been an Asian tradition for a long time to make brand new replacement engines instead of rebuilding. Or - like Datsun used to do - use brand-new casted cylinder-blocks so the cylinder-bores were standard size, but reuse major parts like rods and crankshafts.

In this case - all parts are new.  Brand new blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, head-castings, camshafts, etc.

The following is from you.   And it is wrong. That is unless you are reinventing the word "remanufactured."  These engines are "manufactured" new.  I will also note that I have requesting detailed info on them like nickel content in the block casting, if the crankshafts have hardened journals, harness of the valve seats, etc.  So far, I have not gotten those specs.  Are YOU claiming you did?  If so, please post along the source.

THIS is a quote from you . . "the "brand new" 22re for $2000 is not exactly brand new. Its remanufactured and not to factory tolerances. "

If you are going to quote me please do not pull a CNN style hit and leave out the MOST important part of the sentence.

" If you are aware of factory toyota engines still being built from toyota lines for $2k that would be a great find indeed. "

Your definition of re-manufactured and mine are not the same in the context of quality. To me, if its not made by toyota its as good as re-manufactured even if every part is a clone "new" one as you state; its not an original manufacturing by toyota.

That being said, if the machining and rebuild process on OEM base is done correctly, to me you would get a better engine by using OEM base re-manufactured parts. Just because something is "new" does not equate it to OEM quality and specs. In that I think we agree.

That being said I myself love chinese clones...like the HF predator engines for example,  just not under the hood of my toyota.

Again, you said the engine I was referring to was not new - and it IS.   It is as simple as that.  You can convolute the discussion all you want, but that fact remains the same.

I have been unable to  verify the quality of these engines.   I DO know they are all new, so bore is standard size and not oversize.  Crankshaft is also new to all journals are standard sizes and not undersize.

No "CNN" hit here.  I simply replied to one of your incorrect sentences.  Others may be too.  But as I already stated several times - I do not yet have specs on things like quality of metals, hardening processes, etc.

Stop what?  Geez. I thought posting the availability of new 22RE engines might be of interest to some people here.  Not exactly meant to be in any way controversial. In my world, "new" is "new."  If someone says otherwise - that too is kind of relevant here and I'd like to see some actual facts.

It's called bickering and I don't want to hear it here or anywhere else. Unfortunately for me I can't leave the room. If you disagree with someone you have every right to private message them and leave the rest of us out of it. NO ONE HERE WANTS TO HEAR IT ANYMORE

Yes I'm yelling

Linda S

Sounds like maybe you will get your wish and it's time for me to retreat from this place. If this forum - according to you - is now a place where facts about Toyota RVs cannot be discussed, challenged, etc. - that this place has gone too far downhill for me.  I can understand when the focus is emotions, or politics, etc.  But if an engine for sale is new or not cannot be discussed?  Yell all you want Linda. I certainly cannot hear you from here in northern Michigan.