1986 Bandit purchase attempt

zero

This Bandit has been for sale, off and on, for a couple of years.  I finally contacted the guy who has it for sale now and made an offer.  I'm not sure if I touched a nerve with him or not.  Kind of hard to tell via email. I know it is very rusted underneath.  I did NOT ask about the "20RE" engine.

YES TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION, IT IS NOT A NEW VEHICLE.
EVERYONE PERCEPTION OF RUST IS DIFFERENT... THE TRUCK FRAME IS SOLID,,,, THE PART THE OLD MAN WAS TALKING ABOUT WAS A PIECE OF FRAME  ABOUT THAT WAS EXTENDED FROM THE PRIMARY TRUCK FRAME., NOTHING I AM PERSONALLY CONCERNED WITH... TAKE CARE.....

In a message dated 10/9/2016 9:14:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 53655816abbd3d47ae44433855667876@reply.craigslist.org writes:
Is this the same one that came from the Chicago area and has a lot of rust underneath? I ask because if so, I already looked it over once when it was for sale there.  I live in northern Michigan.  If it IS the same one - I am interested if the price drops substantially. No insult intended, but if it IS the same one - I'd pay $1500 for it. I don't even care about the Toyota part of it. My main interest is just the coach to stick on another truck.

00Y0Y_9Rk0n5rewZp_600x450.jpg

00W0W_20H0SVxmqv_600x450.jpg

Image6.jpg

It would be a super neat coach to put on another truck. I think the Bandits are the best looking of all the pop tops. The way the roof curves looks so aerodynamic and sleek. Before I bought my Sunrader I bid on a Bandit on Ebay on a Dodge D50 chassis. It was a 4x4 and I went to work and forgot to check and missed out. It was a 4x4 and too cool. Been looking for it every since because it was in Northern Cal.

Linda S

I'd like to get it and stick the coach on this S10 I just bought. I didn't mean to insult the seller.  I can understand his frustration dealing with people asking questions. But in my defense - rust on an old Toyota is not the same as when you see "some rust" on most newer cars and trucks.   Toyota steel in the 60s-80s was absolutely terrible and once rust starts underneath - it all goes pretty fast.   The joke used to be that Japanese metal came new with rust already built into it.  I think there is a little bit of truth to that.  French sheet metal was just as bad but not too many French cars in the USA on salty roads?  That is one of the many things that did in the Winnebago Lesharo, Phasar, and Centuri.   The metal came from France and they rusted something awful.

I will also note that the last two Japanese branded cars I owned both got recalled for rust problems in structural areas.  A Toyota Echo and a Subaru Impreza -both in the mid 2000s.

Oddly all the German cars I had did not rust near as bad even though my last two VW diesels came from Mexico according to the sticker.

I wish that guy would find someone to buy the truck part of that Bandit, and I'd buy the coach.  Oh well.  It is his and he is free to do as he pleases. I think the price is too high for the condition.   I am searching for a RV coach with a pop-up roof for my new S10 experiment.  I just missed a Chinook for $800 in Green Bay, Wisconsin.   I just did not want to drive a truck and trailer that far. I am hoping to find something closer.

weird my toyota is an 85 has no rust on the cab hardly at all.

my 98 ram is more rust now than metal. same with my jeep i used to own.

My toyota celica was rust free.

VW and benz both have tiny spots of orange peel on front fenders thats it;\for michigan thats not too bad.

Celica was from texas, the sunrader was made in indiana bought in michigan but maybe it lived its life down south>?

now im worried about it rusting out...

My 1988 Minicruiser was bought new in central Michigan and has no rust to speak of.  I assume it also has never been used in the winter.  Here where I live in northern Michigan, all the dirt roads are salted all summer long and I am seeing some rust just from that.

My 1978 came from Louisiana and has rust on top instead of underneath. Especially along the top of the windshield frame.

Here is the 1977 I scrapped that WAS driven a few years in central New York winters.  Rust was incredible. I will also add that I checked out a 80s Sunrader in a NY junkyard with a full-floating rear and even the rear axle has rust holes clear through it.

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0125.jpg