bodasefus

I messed up

I only took the top part of the carb off...  my neighbor came over and he is a good backyard mechanic...  We found the spring for the secondary accel pump and put it back together...  we primed it and it started...  We had to keep priming to keep it running and then we started to check why no fuel to the carb...  Loosened the banjo nut and it had pressure...  can't get it to idle but we need to figure out why the fuel is not getting in the carb...  strange...  any ideas???

No fuel to the carb means either the electric fuel pump in the tank is not working,or the fuel filter is plugged.  

Isn't 1980 one of the years they had mechanical pumps? This isn't an in tank pump right? Might be easier than it is for the rest of us to change out. Maybe electric but just not in the tank

Linda S

Toyota 23100-39315 PUMP ASSY, FUEL

Could be.  I have never looked close at a 1980. I mean actually manufactured in 1980. Many model-year 1980 RVs have 1979 trucks under them.    I know for sure the 20R in 1977, 1978 and 1979 has an electric pump.  If it does have a mechanical pump on the engine, in some ways, it makes things even more hard to diagnose.  If it is drawing air due to  leak on the intake side, you won't see any leaks or gas dripping on the ground.

I went to that junkyard yesterday to seek out some Chevy rear-axle parts (like for a Tiger Astro camper).  Ended up I found the HD axle I wanted but the price was so high - I did not buy it.  But that 1978 Toyota mothorhome?  Seems the junkyard owner hates Toyotas and Datsuns and sold me the parts cheap. He says he never buys them.  This 1978 was kind of dumped at his place, free of charge.  So for $40, I bought the carb, and the entire electronic ignition system with the distributor.  Carb is in surpriisingly good shape, despite the cob-webs.  Even still pumping gas (gas did not turn to sludge).  In my part of the country, old Toyotas in junkyards are very rare.  Most were crushed years ago and turned into new Chevys or Fords.

Linda - I'd love to see a photo of the rear axle in your Tiger.  I am wondering now if Provan special ordered those Astrovans with the heavier ZR2 axles?  Easy to tell with a glance.  The axle tubes are a larger diameter near the center and then taper back to a smaller size for the HD axle.

igniter.jpg

IMG_20161013_112553900.jpg

IMG_20161013_162846557.jpg

IMG_20161013_105009550.jpg

Can't get to it now without moving my Nissan first and then crawling in the mud. Was that axle even an option on an Astro or would Provan have had to install it. I've never heard of any changes to the vans other than putting the coach on it. They even left those nasty fiberglass leaf springs in place on the early ones. Remind me in the spring.

Linda S

Comparing pics of the different Chevy axles I'm certain mine doesn't have that rear end. that big round differential is the 8.5 inch and mine is more squared off like the puny 7.5.

I did not know anything until recently about these little axles GM uses in S10 trucks and Astrovans.  I have a 1998 S10 rust-free I got from Alabama.   I am going to cut the frame and lengthen it about 7" so a Chinook body will fit on to it.  After researching a little, I found that just about all S10s come with the 7.5" differential and small diameter axles.  I don't care about the differential size. It is the axle-size that concerns me.  The 7.5" rear only has axles 1.4" in diameter.   Note that the so-called Toyota "death axles" are 1.57".  Ends up if an S10 has the ZR2 option, the rear axle is 3" wider , has the 8.5" differential, and axles that are 1.6" diameter.  I have no idea if such an axle was available for Astrovans.  Seems it should of been.   So this is the axle I have been hunting for.  I DID find one in the junkyard but the guy wants $350 for it. I know where there is another 150 miles away for $100.  I was hoping not to make that trip, but now I guess I will.   So, all this work just to make an S10 as strong as all the Toyotas have been since 1975.

Well,,, my cousin looked at how much the weber carb cost and did not want to spend that mych...  so no weber...

Still lookin...  Zero - want to sell me that carb you just got???

I believe zero aka jde has taken a sabbatical from this forum due to his extreme crush on and loving treatment by Linda S.

alas, ebay or other parts sites are your only hope now. If only we could all get along.

These places all have the correct carburetor listed as in stock and at quite reasonable prices. All far away but lots of them will ship. Just start calling.

Linda S

Marler Auto Supply, Inc. USA-ID(Idaho-Falls) Request_Quote 800-444-9707 / 208-523-4187 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif
Carburetor
Toyota Truck
20R [320-54739] A SI0003 $75 Sierra Auto Recycling, Inc. USA-CA(Ridgecrest) Request_Quote 1-800-346-8733 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif
Carburetor
Toyota Truck
79 TOYOTA P/U CALIF MAN CARB   42563 $75 Pearsons Auto Wrecking USA-CA(Ridgecrest) Request_Quote 1-800-446-5865 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif
Carburetor
Toyota Truck
MT, CAL-   P50076 $100 Savon Auto Parts & Salvage USA-CA(Pacoima) Request_Quote 818-899-2228 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif
Carburetor
Toyota Truck
20R CARB 79-80   2016 $275 ToyAuto Mart USA-CA(Rancho-Cordova) Request_Quote 916-638-0440 / 916-638-8432 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif
Carburetor
Toyota Truck
7700_128_01_thumb.jpg20R CARB 4SPD MT   140113 $Call ToyAuto Mart USA-CA(Rancho-Cordova) Request_Quote 916-638-0440 / 916-638-8432 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif

OR
Request a Quote from hundreds of recyclers