Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice...

bobblefrog

Twice the last year you all have steered me clear of Toyotas I was looking at.  Very happy; got very good advice.  So, I wanted to pop in and say we've pulled the trigger on our motorhome - but, alas, not a Toyota. Found a 20 ft 1984 Mallard on a Dodge Ram truck chassis.  It was too good a deal to pass up.  With all the research (much of it on this site translates) we knew "structurally and mechanically" sound when we saw it.  It's a compromise - giving up the gas mileage, but it tows and and has the nice spacious over cab that drew me to the Toys in the first place.  Not as much room - there's just about enough room to change my mind and not much else :-)  But it has everything and is well-built.  Solid.  Anyway, just wanted to give you all the "end of the story".   Thanks again!

00C0C_l9Bz3WlwLan_1200x900.jpg

Nice looking rig. I had a friend who had one like that with a 318 V8. In Florida, on flat highways - it got 12 MPG @ 70 MPH, 13 MPG @ 60 MPH, and 16 MPG @ 50 MPH according to his reports.  Not sure I believe them but if true, not much different then many Toyotas.  I would love to build one like your's but based on a 1st gen 5.9 Cummins diesel with a 5 speed manual trans. 

Well, if you are interested...more pictures!!! You know how exciting it is to have a new rig and the urge to share.  That ripple on the side isn't delamination.  It's a dent and looks worse in the pic than it actually is.  Almost didn't think about going to look at this because it didn't have pictures of the ceiling.  Turns out there is a microwave up there and ceiling was in great shape.  Roof is aluminum.

This one is a 5.9 V8 360. Thanks for those comments, JD.  I did find a forum post where someone put a diesel in one of these (no pics, just a random thread I managed to run across).  Had to move the radiator forward, but otherwise was fairly straightforward.  Right now though the engine doesn't throw up any warning flags to the mechanic and it has 64,000 on it. Going to work with it :-)

Now it's not all roses - may have to replace a fridge and the cab a/c doesn't blow cold, but even if I have to do have to put in a new fridge and replace compressor into the truck, I will still have plenty left in the allocated funds.  Has four brand new tires from this summer, which offsets a little of the cost - almost every other rig I've looked at I would have changed those out first.  Oh, and you know what else I was tickled at?  The bathroom has a stainless sink. The screen door still exists.  There's a 40 gallon fresh water tank (completely unexpected).  The oven vent actually vents to the outside. It has a locking cargo box.  The curtain above the cab still on its rails, and the awning arms still work.  Silly little things like that!  Well, okay, not silly. After looking at a bunch of old campers now, it's the small things that seem to add a sense to whether the camper was built well to start with, and then maintained.

Again, thanks :-)  Great group you all have here.  I'm sure I'll still lurk around.  Great treasure trove of advice.  I expect if I hid in a herd of Toys I might not stand out too much...?  

Oh, and if you see any concerns in the picture I missed...best not to tell me.  We'll find them soon enough.  It's all part of the restoration.  Just going to relax and go with the flow now that I've pulled the trigger.

00606_k4e35i3HAo4_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_34f8bI2AVD_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_d3z74w21Esc_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_hBk4Tn8KdTs_1200x900.jpg

00707_iwOjvYTJ912_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_6fj1KtV1RJJ_1200x900.jpg

Edited by bobblefrog
Added piece of information, corrected a typo.

We will assume some what of reduced MPG compared to one of the toys. But equally importance is range. How bigs the fuel tank??

I had that same truck with the slant six and auto. One of the best vehicles I ever owned. Unfortunately, it got to where it wouldn't pass emissions and I didn't want to sink money into it, so I sold it. Someone mentioned a cummins powered one. A long while back I found a website where someone bought an older dodge pickup based chinook and did the cummins/5 speed repower. It was awesome. The owner said it got 17 mpg and would pull anything you hooked to it. It was a really nice looking rig. I often wonder why there arent more pickup based C classes out there. Way easier to service and better cab room. Also, a little more sheet metal in front of you if you fall asleep and drive it into an oak tree.

Wow nice! How many gallon fresh water tank...I'm so jealous!! Think mine is only 12....have ro refill it after using the BR a few times lol! And your cab looks huge compared to my little 85. I'm 6'5" and have No leg room! Good Luck Man!

Looks great! 40 gallon fresh water?!? Looks like a good coach layout. I can't believe they fit a separate shower in there (not wet bath)

CUMMINS! 

Good question WME - 35 gal

markwilliam1 - okay, I may not be 6 foot - but I did find that some of the Toys were way too short in the leg room department for me.  Odyssey and Sunland seemed to be okay, but the Dolphin, for example, I just couldn't push the seat far enough back to get the steering wheel out of my stomach!  So, I feel your pain.  I would have thought all the cabs were the same, but it sure seemed like some builds left more room to back up the seats.  This is one of the bonuses of the Dodge that thrilled me.

86rader - don't jinx me or oak trees :-)  According to the carfax report it failed emissions once in 2005 and was passed the next week.  Now it's too old to require emissions (passed last two years ago) and here in NC will only need safety inspections for another three.  I will say, though, I do like that I've found the bigger engine.  Here in the mountains I'd just like a little more opportunity to stay clear of the semis.  

LInda - thanks for the positive comments.  I know from reading some of your past posts that you appreciate a well put-together rig.