Contemplating Solar

markwilliam1

So I've been camping a few times in my "new" 85 Granville this hot summer and cannot camp in the sun due to how hot it gets inside the camper! Don't know how people with solar can control the heat from the sun. A fan doesn't cool off the inside just blows hot air around. I'm talking boondocking with no electric to run the AC. Don't want to use my Honda 2000 to run the AC while boondocking....just don't like generators while enjoying nature!  Don't you need Full sun on the solar panels to have them work? Not interested in the portable panels. I've seen some wonderful solar configurations from our geniuses on the forum but it seems I'm missing  something??

I know that Linda! Was wondering what the advantage of solar really is?

But still requires you to be in the full sun Right? How do you handle the heat from the sun inside the camper? Maybe this isn't a Summer thing?? As always Thanks for the reply Linda:-):-)

14 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

But still requires you to be in the full sun Right? How do you handle the heat from the sun inside the camper? Maybe this isn't a Summer thing?? As always Thanks for the reply Linda:-):-)

Get a portable suitcase panel with 30' of 10-2 wire...park in the shade with panel in the sun....oops, I see u are not interested in portable...why not, it only takes about 2 minutes to set it up.

Edited by RVdaytrader

Didn't really want portable panels RVt, as just more stuff to haul around but I guess it's the only way? What about all those that have the panels on their roofs? Seems Summers would be out of the question!

if its 85 out and you aren't running a generator, why be inside at all during the sun? seems you should be hiking, shopping, having fun, fishing or just about anything but being in that claustrophobic toy home in that heat.

Ive contemplated solar before but always chicken out when i am faced with drilling holes into the sunrader roof. Just cannot bring myself to do it. I may however, add a system mounted to the TV antennae rack in the near future and thats because I am sick of the battery bleeds that occur when not in use.

Edited by Totem

More concerned about my pups inside the camper Totem as I can't always take them with me while out and about. Seems Summer boondocking is out @ least for me. Never knew how hot these little rigs can get in no time Man!

as mentioned the ryobi one plus fan with large battery pack can muster up to 8 hours on a single charge on hi. It even has molded into it a grabber to hang from pet cages. Cage the pups, hang the fan and then run fantastic fans; solar will run those just fine.

That setup WILL keep the toy home as cool as the outside air temp or better I am quite sure.

Thanks Totem, know your a dog guy like me. I ordered a stand alone fantastic fan to run off 12 volts but don't have it yet. The ryobi looks sweet but don't have any ryobi stuff so too expensive for me. Taking my Granville to Midas this Wednesday to replace my muffler only but could be expensive!!

fantastic fan wouldn't work for me though because i would have to cut yet another hole in my roof as I wont be removing my painstakingly miraculous AC setup; and the only vent i have is in the bathroom stack.

That being said using just the ancient bathroom 12 volt OEM fan, and another 12 volt oscillating fan and both side windows open in a cross breeze in 78 degrees or less, my rig will stay 75 or less. anything more than than 78 and i run AC to keep pooch cool while we are grocery shopping etc..

I am working on a new project however... to use up all of the computer fans I have stashed over the years of my older tower pcs. I plant on mounting 4 fans in the bathroom connected to the same older fan switch, and was also thinking about mounting a couple in the fridge stack also and rigging those to a thermostat controller switch that is also tied to the "on off" switch of the fridge itself. (per WME's suggestion.)  That ought to be interesting to see if it boosts the ammonia fridges cold capability.

You always have good ideas Totem! I plan on replacing my ancient, noisy bath vent fan with a new Max Air fan that has a built-in cover next year but it's very pricey over $200 (I'll spare no expense to keep my pups comfortable!) I think the stand alone 12 volt fantastic fan is the same blades and motor as used in their vent fans so am looking forward to how much air it moves and how quiet it will be. Using several computer fans would also work but I think they might be a little loud depending on their size. The last 3 computers I built I always bought the 4 inch  ball bearings type fans with multiple blades that didn't spin super fast and are much quieter and move more air than those little cheap 3 inchers. Hope that's what you have.

Solar is catching up. We have friends with a 400 watt system. That runs a tv. Lights. PlayStation. Water pump. And fridge full time. An AC unit does take up a lot of energy. They also have about 2k+ in the system  which is pretty pricey  but it's still not enough to run an AC unit  they also have two near 100 pound house batteries storing the solar energy  

If it's just AC you want to run its gonna cost a lot more to do in solar than just a generator.

with a few panels storing energy they can run about 2 days with out sunlight. 

Is your rig insulated?  Do you have tinted windows? Tinted windows made a HUGE difference for us 

Edited by Nickyd

2 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

You always have good ideas Totem! I plan on replacing my ancient, noisy bath vent fan with a new Max Air fan that has a built-in cover next year but it's very pricey over $200 (I'll spare no expense to keep my pups comfortable!) I think the stand alone 12 volt fantastic fan is the same blades and motor as used in their vent fans so am looking forward to how much air it moves and how quiet it will be. Using several computer fans would also work but I think they might be a little loud depending on their size. The last 3 computers I built I always bought the 4 inch  ball bearings type fans with multiple blades that didn't spin super fast and are much quieter and move more air than those little cheap 3 inchers. Hope that's what you have.

Ive got so many different types of fans its ridiculous but yes the ball bearing ones are also what i was thinking for the bathroom, with some of the noisier and airflow ones for the fridge ejection.

No interest in running the AC as I have a Honda 2000 to do that but don't like the noise while camping. Just tryin' to keep cool if possible while parked in the sun!

OK just some random thoughts......

Boost bathroom fan, a 14x14 piece of plexi  with a hole to match the dia of the fan, you get  shroud effect and will move more air.

Like computer fans? stack 4 of them and place them in a open slider window. Make two sets one goes in one goes out.

A fantastic fan will fit in place of the stock bathroom vent.

Thanks WME! I think computer fans would work but be very noisy with their high pitched sound @ least for me. I plan on purchasing the max air fan to replace my bath fan next year and using it in conjunction with the stand alone fantastic fan propped in a window should do the trick! Both would be 12 volt. Not sure how much current draw they would be using together or how fast they would drain my coach battery. Thoughts?

I have 3 of the Fantastic vent fans and no AC.  They move a lot of air.  If it is 85 outside, I can at least do 85 inside.  We don't spend much time inside during the day but we have to occasionally, like to grab lunch.  The 3 fans do a good job of at least making it tolerable.  After 90 degrees, we'll mostly stay out of the camper.  I'm talking about full sun with beachside camping with no shade.

Problem with the fans is primarily cost.  The 3 cost about what AC would have but many of the places we camp at, don't have power hook up and some not even water.  I too won't run a generator.  I would prefer to stay home than listen to one run.  Battery hasn't been a problem with 2-3 day trips running the fans along with lights and water pump.

That's great info Back East. I might be on track then! I only want to use my rooftop AC while driving with my generator running to keep the coach & cab cool as my cab AC is not repairable. Don't want to ever have to use my Honda generator while camping although it's very quiet still too loud for me Sir!

The Fantastic Fans draw  under 3 amps, so 150w of solar would run 2 at full power. At lower speeds you could have extra power to charge a battery a bit. 

No solar?? just do the math with your battery AH

Having lived in my rig for a couple years, I found solar invaluable. 

Even 35 watts could allow you to stay off grid long as you want with modest use. 

I have 100 watts on my dolphin and is great for unlimited TV DVD / fan just about. It produces a decent amount even in shade.

For staying cool, park in shade, open awning, open all the windows, turn on ceiling fan, aim clip on fan right at you, put wet cloths over the window especially if you're in a low humidity environment. Open door with screen. Drink lots of water, take a quick cold shower. 

Worst I remember was Tennessee in the summer off grid. 100+ degrees and super humid. 

And lastly, man up and drill some holes. Or get the flexible self adhesive panels.

Edited by bicoastal eric

I used to use the standard harbor freight 3 panel kit charge controller etc when hunting my camper at deer camp before i bought my cabin. even on cloudy days the 45 watt system mostly replenished the single group 29 wally world deep marine cycle battery.

best part i put suction cups on the frame so it would just stick to the roof, when done it when back into its case, a nice square rifle case i got at meijers.

Thanks Eric & Totem!! I appreciate your input!

I've got a pair of 100 watt panels on the roof.  Main reason we have them if for our dog.   There are rare times when we park somewhere during the day where dogs are not allow to visit.  So she stays in the RV.  I'll note that we've yet to ever find a parking spot with shade.  We have a Fantastic Fan in the ceiling that works great.   When we have to leave the dog, we also set up a table fan that runs off our inverter.  Note we are in northern Michigan, not Florida, but still get some days in the high 90s.   A pair of 100 watt panels is going to make around 8 amps total in best sun.   Not a lot of power, but you never plan on running any fans directly off of solar anyway. They just help out the "house" battery or batteries.  In our case, we have a pair of them.

I'll add there ARE RVs on the market with electric AC that runs off of a battery bank and solar on the roof.  Takes a tremendous lot of power though.   Roadtrek E-Trek does it. it also has a huge alternator on the engine that helps charge up the huge battery bank fast.  I also just saw a small new travel-trailer camper that has a small rooftop AC unit that can be run for awhile with just the "house" batteries.  Has a bank of 6 Trojan T-105REs.

Also check this out of you're worried about drilling through the roof... Mine is working great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0111RNZDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also drill free panel mounts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TTZSUYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link Jaunt! What type of panels do you have? How much invested? Why do your like solar so much? I can't imagine having Grannie set in full sun to utilize solar with all the heat building up inside her while sitting in the sun to run a fan off solar to keep her cooler inside while sitting in the sun?? I'm assuming you need full sun for solar to work? Like JD, it's all about keeping my pups cool while they are stuck in the camper! I just purchased a 12 volt stand alone Fantastic Fan that moves a lot of air but it will be running off the house battery. I can place the fan on the bath floor & aim it @ the pups to blow the cooler air by the floor on them. Very nice in 80 degree weather but Grannie is in the shade! When I park in the sun that same 80 degrees becomes mid 90's inside in no time. Just don't know how long the coach battery can run the fan and I know that's where solar comes in. I think Totem and another poster suggested portable panels but I would be worried about theft if I'm not around.

12 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Thanks for the link Jaunt! What type of panels do you have? How much invested? Why do your like solar so much? I can't imagine having Grannie set in full sun to utilize solar with all the heat building up inside her while sitting in the sun to run a fan off solar to keep her cooler inside while sitting in the sun?? I'm assuming you need full sun for solar to work? Like JD, it's all about keeping my pups cool while they are stuck in the camper! I just purchased a 12 volt stand alone Fantastic Fan that moves a lot of air but it will be running off the house battery. I can place the fan on the bath floor & aim it @ the pups to blow the cooler air by the floor on them. Very nice in 80 degree weather but Grannie is in the shade! When I park in the sun that same 80 degrees becomes mid 90's inside in no time. Just don't know how long the coach battery can run the fan and I know that's where solar comes in. I think Totem and another poster suggested portable panels but I would be worried about theft if I'm not around.

I went with these panels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-150-Watt-12-Volt-Battery-Charger-Solar-Panel-Off-Grid-RV-Boat-300-watt-total-/271885508220?hash=item3f4da39e7c:g:AtcAAOSwv0tVdJAX&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

probably about $1200 invested total including two new batteries, also I went with a higher end charge controller/monitor combo for extra reliability/efficiency.

Personally I don't like the idea of mobile panels, seems like a huge PITA to me to deal with that, although I do see the advantages.  I just roof mounted mine as best as I could, there isn't much space up there so you kinda just have to deal with it, I hacked off my tv antenna so I could fit the front panel on.  The panels are not super efficient due to shading from roof vents/AC unit at certain points and flat mounted, but I am always able to stay charged for my needs regardless (charging laptop/phones, coffee grinder, etc) so that's why I'm happy with it.  

So here's the curveball, currently I'm working a job during the day so the RV is usually parked in a spot with as much sun as I can get it in, so I'm not in it during the day, I know in the summer it did get hot... I'll be doing some traveling soon in it but the plan is to be out doing stuff during the day and not inside the camper, we'll see.  I am still learning and adapting with everything as well :ThumbUp:

Also I converted all the interior bulbs to LED, saves quite a bit of power usage.

Edited by Jaunt

If you haven't already converted to led lights, do it now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013S9O316/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

100 watt panels will put out 8 amps each in full sun. Most modern panels do fine in partial shade! You are incorrectly assuming you need full sun for them to work.

A ceiling fan or table fan should not be using more than 2amps, so with a 100w panel in the shade you can run the fan directly off the panel while charging your battery as a bonus.

I've never had any problems with $10 made in China (aren't they all?) Controller. And if it fails, is not going to hurt anything. 

My 100w solar setup cost less than $150

22 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

I'm assuming you need full sun for solar to work? Like JD, it's all about keeping my pups cool while they are stuck in the camper! I just purchased a 12 volt stand alone Fantastic Fan that moves a lot of air but it will be running off the house battery. I can place the fan on the bath floor & aim it @ the pups to blow the cooler air by the floor on them. Very nice in 80 degree weather but Grannie is in the shade! When I park in the sun that same 80 degrees becomes mid 90's inside in no time. Just don't know how long the coach battery can run the fan and I know that's where solar comes in. I think Totem and another poster suggested portable panels but I would be worried about theft if I'm not around.

Fantastic fan draws around 6 amps when on high speed.  Less when on lower speeds.  A single type 27 "house battery" can run it for 12 hours without a serious discharge. If you have dual "house" batteries, then 24 hours.  Note that is just ONE fan.  When we leave our dog on a hot day - we have the Fantastic fan on, along with a table fan running off an inverter.  That is another 10 amp draw on the DC power.  So figure - with two fans - around 15 amps being drawn steady.    One "house" battery is good for 4 hours and two of them is good for 8 hours with two fans running.  If you have 200 watts of solar on the roof, then those panels might make 5-10 amps to help if the sun is shining.  Direct sun is not necessary but some sun is.

I recently bought two complete solar electric systems with panels, wiring, mounts, controller, etc.  One was 200 watts and the other 400 watts.  It seems right now that Renogy has the best deals - either via Ebay or Amazon.

Excellent responses everyone and just the info I needed especially the duration of battery life using fans (Thanks JD!) Will never go Jaunt's route due to high costs but I'm sure his set-up is top notch! Planning on buying a MaxAir fan to replace the old bath fan next year and along with the stand alone Fantastic fan should do the trick but looks like solar might be beneficial. How much did you spend on your systems JD and would it be cost effective to go 400 watts vs 200 watts?

At full speed the Maxxair fans draw 3.7 amps@13.4 v.

200 w of solar is 16 amps at max sun, so even on a cloudy day you would have surplus power for the battery. Plus on a cloudy day you would be running the fans at a reduced power setting.

A 200 ah battery set up and 200 w of solar would run the fans for ever.