City driving is hell! Do remodels help with the clunkiness?

Dgillies

3 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

When talking about "over inflating" the tires are you saying inflated Above the max of 65 lbs.? I don't consider a tire inflated to the max of 65 lbs. to be over inflated or is it??

Of course it is over-inflated at 65 PSI.    Tires are designed to ride and perform when riding at a certain loaded profile.  That profile is solely determined by the weight bearing down on the tire and the proper inflation pressure for that weight.  Again - that is why Toyota and many RV makers recommended around 32 PSI for the back duallies.  

In 1985, Toyota only made trucks with single rear tires and recommended pressure to be 64 PSI when run at max load of 5500 lbs.    

In 1988, Toyota recommended 65 PSI for single rear tires at max load of 5500 lbs. and for duals - 29 PSI at max load of 5500 lbs. 

In 1990, Toyota recommended 65 PSI for single rear tires at max load of 5600 lbs.. For duals - 32 PSI at max load of 6000 lbs.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what do you run your tires @ JD? Derek suggested 60 lbs. on rear and 55 lbs. on front as his personal preference. I switched to that after running 65 all around and I much more enjoy the ride. And with my new leaf springs and Bilstein shocks all around I can't believe the difference in the ride quality. It does make a difference!

6 hours ago, jdemaris said:

Of course it is over-inflated at 65 PSI.    Tires are designed to ride and perform when riding at a certain loaded profile.  That profile is solely determined by the weight bearing down on the tire and the proper inflation pressure for that weight.  Again - that is why Toyota and many RV makers recommended around 32 PSI for the back duallies.  

In 1985, Toyota only made trucks with single rear tires and recommended pressure to be 64 PSI when run at max load of 5500 lbs.    

In 1988, Toyota recommended 65 PSI for single rear tires at max load of 5500 lbs. and for duals - 29 PSI at max load of 5500 lbs. 

In 1990, Toyota recommended 65 PSI for single rear tires at max load of 5600 lbs.. For duals - 32 PSI at max load of 6000 lbs.

You post good info JD and it is appreciated, I have not seen these recommendations before! Are these for a load range C tire? In my quest for proper inflation pressure I often wondered if the load range D tire is the best  choice for my rig?

7 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

So what do you run your tires @ JD? Derek suggested 60 lbs. on rear and 55 lbs. on front as his personal preference. I switched to that after running 65 all around and I much more enjoy the ride. And with my new leaf springs and Bilstein shocks all around I can't believe the difference in the ride quality. It does make a difference!

With all new shocks, bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, front end alignment etc. Mine is like a slot car compared to what it was. Running 65psi, that money would have been wasted.

run what you all like. I like to run my tires like some in here like to run their honda generators :)

1.) all tires leak pressure over time... 65 becomes 60 becomes 55 etc.

2.) inflating the duals ia a pain in the arse, so i "over-inflate" in order to stretch it.

3.) I actually use my RV and travel the USA with it instead of constantly theorizing about it and working on the someday when my RV will go on a trip or trying to google someone into being wrong.

4.) I've driven through pouring rain, snowy mountains in the rockies and had animals and vehicles jump out in front of me .. never once did I hit them and in each case The trip was started at 65 psi and I do not have power steering.

5.) the only RV tire I have seen lost to a blowout was setting at 10 PSI with a pretty bad leak and the sidewalls were flexing so much from no air that its just shredded apart.

and finally 6.) and for me this is the clincher... My wife AIMS for pot holes. Why? I have no idea but when she drives she never actively tries to evade them instead rolling right over them. Its almost become sort of a joke, one that drives me nuts. So either this stuff being spewn in here is hyperboly in my RV's context, or I am the luckiest guy out there, or and perhaps this is the actual truth, the RA08 tires that I have put over 50,000 miles on are bad to the bone tires. More likely all three of the above being true.

Edited by Totem

Ha, Ha Totem! Well @ least I can use my Honda 2000 generator to inflate my tires if need be Lol!!

4 hours ago, Totem said:

run what you all like. I like to run my tires like some in here like to run their honda generators :)

1.) all tires leak pressure over time... 65 becomes 60 becomes 55 etc.

2.) inflating the duals ia a pain in the arse, so i "over-inflate" in order to stretch it.

3.) I actually use my RV and travel the USA with it instead of constantly theorizing about it and working on the someday when my RV will go on a trip or trying to google someone into being wrong.

4.) I've driven through pouring rain, snowy mountains in the rockies and had animals and vehicles jump out in front of me .. never once did I hit them and in each case The trip was started at 65 psi and I do not have power steering.

5.) the only RV tire I have seen lost to a blowout was setting at 10 PSI with a pretty bad leak and the sidewalls were flexing so much from no air that its just shredded apart.

and finally 6.) and for me this is the clincher... My wife AIMS for pot holes. Why? I have no idea but when she drives she never actively tries to evade them instead rolling right over them. Its almost become sort of a joke, one that drives me nuts. So either this stuff being spewn in here is hyperboly in my RV's context, or I am the luckiest guy out there, or and perhaps this is the actual truth, the RA08 tires that I have put over 50,000 miles on are bad to the bone tires. More likely all three of the above being true.

I get it, some guys just won't ask for directions, read an instruction manual or admit they might actually learn anything.

look on the bright side Don; they will eventually leak down to spec level...I basically eyeball my tires by looking to see how close they are from behind. when they look like they have too much sag and close together i air em up back to 65 along with the fronts.

Edited by Totem

A couple of tire goodies from the large RV side of the house

1 Auto tire inflator....http://www.aperiatech.com/

2. Proper tire iron....https://www.amazon.com/GTE-LugStrong-Compact-Universal-Adapters/dp/B015DJ8A40

1 minute ago, WME said:

A couple of tire goodies from the large RV side of the house

1 Auto tire inflator....http://www.aperiatech.com/

2. Proper tire iron....https://www.amazon.com/GTE-LugStrong-Compact-Universal-Adapters/dp/B015DJ8A40

i carry a breaker bar, extension and socket to remove wheels with, but lately ive been using my ryobi impact wrench.

160 lb ft RIGHT!!!

I don't think I have anything that measures futlubs. Darn. I have never torqued a wheel lug and none have ever fallen off. I used to just stand on the wrench and jump a little but I've lost a lot of weight in the past year. I might be in trouble.

Linda S

thats how lugs get broken.. Not measuring the level of anger or weight being pressed into them can get them stuck or snapped, not enough and they could back out on you.

Ryobi and other electric ratchets of certain models can be dialed in for torque to lbs. My breaker bar admittedly is an emergency thing. Ive got two torque wrenches that i use sometimes also but the deep inset of the rear duals makes that need an extension that makes a huge elbow and gets weird where as the impact wrench just goes in straight.

27 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

thats an impact driver essentially for drilling screws... not a wrench. and not what i have.

Mine has a 1/2 inch socket head coming out of it. Im not a fan of impact drivers.. which as mentioned are not what i was talking about. max for mine is 300+ lbs.

Edited by Totem