Our 85 Dolphin is the rear entry, rear kitchen version. The dinette set along one side has two captains chairs and the whole shebang sits on top of where the fresh water tank is located. The swivel chairs are nice, but you can't turn to face into the table because of the water tank compartment. No place for your legs. You have to sit sort of sideways and this can get to be hard on our backs. So I mounted the chairs on slide platforms, moved the table leg forward and added a removable extension to the table. Pull the chairs out, swivel them to face the table, add the table extension, and Voila! Cafe dining with plenty of leg room and without a twisted back.

Here are some picks of the setup in it's stowed position, then one with the table-extension holders pulled out, then with the extension in place and the chairs pulled out and facing the table. Also a couple of shots of the slide mechanism. I used some heavy duty drawer slides (400 lb capacity). A regular set installed vertically, like you would for a drawer, then an additional slide installed flat in the center to prevent sideways movement. Works great! Still leaves enough room to scoot by in the aisle if need be.

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

Actually we didn't lose a bed. Our dinette setup never made into one. Our couch does. It's one of those clever fold down mechanism types. But I removed that back portion, despite how cool the mechanism was, because it wasn't a very comfortable bed with that big seam in it when folded down. And when folded out it made for tight quarters in there at night. We use bolsters on the couch for a back for leaning, then hang those up above the couch at night and use the couch bottom for a bed. Works out fine.

Edited by jmowrey

You are very creative. I like your wood working skills.

• 2 weeks later...