Pre purchase inspection - PDX

summit68

Hi- I'm looking for some recommendations for someone to do a pre purchase inspection on a Toyota 4x4 diesel 2C in the Portland, Oregon area. If you know someone who has diesel experience, and may be willing to see the vehicle on site that would be a plus. Thanks in advance.

If that rig really has a 2C and not a 2C-T, you realize it will be extremely underpowered?  Keep in mind that a diesel engine makes substantially less power then a gas engine when the same size and aspiration.

As I recall, the 2C is an indirect-injected engine.   That means it is kind of "old tech" and uses glow-plugs to start.   There is nothing you can do that will tell you for sure the condition of the engine without actually using it for awhile.  I've checked compression on diesels that had 400,000 miles, ran like new, had perfect compression readings, yet ate oil like pigs.   

That all said, here are some quick checks. Make sure you get to try to start it cold. I mean under 50 degrees F if possible and make sure no one has warmed it up before you got there. 
Verify it starts right up after the glow-plug cycle (likely 8-14 seconds).
When it starts it might skip and smoke a little but it should clear up within a few seconds.
A good test of the integrity of the fuel-injection pump is to drive it for at least half-an-hour. Then turn it off, and then try to restart. If it starts hard when  hot - the pump is likely ruined.

If you see any evidence that the owner has been using starting fluid on it to start - run away.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a 2C, not a turbo. It's more of a camper van, not an RV, but I understand the power issue.

Did not do a compression check.

Did do a cold start the other day, not under 50 degrees. Started right up, ran smooth, no sputters.

No starting fluid.

I was more concerned about the head, as I understand this could be an issue, but maybe more with the turbo. Also, the cooling system is 'finicky' in my understanding.

Would just like someone more familiar with these vehicles or that engine to take a look.

I assume you are talking about the 1990 Lite Ace.  Interesting looking rig.  Lot of money though.  I assume you've already made sure there is no problem getting parts in the USA? I have no idea one way of the other. I do know how miserable it can be to own a foreign vehicle that has poor parts support. Like the French Winnebago Lesharos that were sold here for a few years.

Image7.jpg