How do I drop the grey water tank?

Bikemike

The underside of our 87 Escaper has been spray foamed, so I can't see if there are some bolts attaching the tank. I find it hard to believe that it is held in place by these tiny metal bands. Also, it doesn't look like there is an easy way to disconnect the plumbing from above. Do I just cut into it and then replace it? 

I'm having trouble attaching pictures. I'll try to add them In a little bit. 

image.jpeg

My Sunrader holding tank is held on by those same metal strips plus the edge of the tank has a lip that sits on the frame bar. Looks like yours is probably the same. Take the straps off then you can pull it forward to get it off the ledge. Here is a description of how the fittings are installed in the top of your tank

http://pellandent.com/Motorhome_Product_Details.aspx?ProductID=5750&Return=175

You will need to cut your drain tube a couple of inches above the tank, the tank will then be free to drop down. When you reinstall it you use a coupler, piece of ABS that fits outside diameter of drain tube, and glue it in place to reconnect the drain to the tank.

Linda S

Thanks Linda,

once I finally got through the foam I could see the screws that go through the lip that goes around the edge of the grey water tank.  I see what you mean, I'll have to do some cutting. Also, there is only one valve that drains the black and grey water tanks. Is that normal?

2 tanks-2 valves. to drain ... drain the black first, then use the gray to flush out the plumbing and hose.

2 hours ago, WME said:

2 tanks-2 valves. to drain ... drain the black first, then use the gray to flush out the plumbing and hose.

Yeah, but there really is only one valve.  Two tanks, two drain pipes that join into one, and then a valve. I bought a new valve because I had to make a cut into the 3" black water tank sewer line in order to remove the grey water tank (well, I had to make a cut somewhere because all the pipes and tanks are glued together w/ no easy way to dissect them). When I'm done repairing the grey water tank, I plan to put a valve where I made that first cut in the sewer line. 

sounds like someone has altered your drain valves. many have one out flow from both of the tanks but there should be a separate valve on each tank. here is an example. The larger tube goes to the black and the smaller the grey. Lots have the same size drain tubes though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-VALTERRA-WASTE-VALVE-SEWER-ASSEMBLY-ROTATING-DOUBLE-ELL-3-HUBX1-1-2-HUB3-CAP-/351827120586

Linda S

Thanks for all the helpful resources. I value being able to partake in all the experience that this site represents. You all obviously invest a lot of time in answering people's questions. Quite a service!