Ryobi inflator station p731. The ultimate solution

Just wanted to do a shout out to Ryobi on their inflator station. Its fully automated and goes over 100 psi. Set it to what psi you want and walk away. Does air matresses on the other side to. Shuts off automatically.  I took a dual chuck put a shrader to 1/4 on it and it can get the inner duals also A+!

Best part runs off my drill batteries. I ended up getting a fan and dusterbuster also. They now in the rig too and run awesome. Love ryobi.

Edited by Totem

4 hours ago, Totem said:

Just wanted to do a shout out to Ryobi on their inflator station. Its fully automated and goes over 100 psi. Set it to what psi you want and walk away. Does air matresses on the other side to. Shuts off automatically.  I took a dual chuck put a shrader to 1/4 on it and it can get the inner duals also A+!

I have one and am very disappointed with it. I LOVE Ryobi 18 volt stuff and have near everything on planet earth that runs on those batteries.  But like I said - not at all impressed with the air-compressor.  I tried it on my Ford truck that had a tire a little low at 70 PSI.  Needs to be 80 PSI.  My Ryobi would not do it.  It is supposed to, but did not.  Sounds likes works better? If so, I wonder if it is a new and improved model. I got mine last year at  Home Depot.

8 hours ago, Totem said:

I would like to see a photo of that dual chuck with shrader to 1/4.  Any chance you could post one?

4 hours ago, jdemaris said:

I have one and am very disappointed with it. I LOVE Ryobi 18 volt stuff and have near everything on planet earth that runs on those batteries.  But like I said - not at all impressed with the air-compressor.  I tried it on my Ford truck that had a tire a little low at 70 PSI.  Needs to be 80 PSI.  My Ryobi would not do it.  It is supposed to, but did not.  Sounds likes works better? If so, I wonder if it is a new and improved model. I got mine last year at  Home Depot.

I purchased one from harbor freight its 12v. Goes up to 100psi it claims but it is way better then the 10 buck one I got from there. They let me return it towards the next size up plus I had a 25% off coupon so it was about $26 regularly $35. They have a $50 model that hooks directly to a battery which is more powerful. The one I have has no issue getting up to 65 psi slowly but it makes it. 

I have a 12 volt interdynamics truck air their large size. have had it for many years. I n my opinon a good 12 volt tire pump is  a must . I never travil or camp without it . most allways some one in the group needs it. I also made a inside tire adapter took a dual tire chuck and used a Schrader  water                well pressure tank charger valve. looks same as brass tire stem.

Edited by 5Toyota
add text

I bought my Ryobi when on a trip with my truck, pulling a loaded trailer.  My 14.5" tires on my trailer take 110 PSI (14 ply G range).  My truck takes 80 PSI.  I had a slow leak in one of my tires.  I found out that no public air-stations that I could find would go over 60 PSI.   The Ryobi claimed it could go to 100 PSI so I got it.  Nope.  Gets to around 70 PSI and then just kind of does nothing but make noise.   Not an issue for a Toyota RV that runs much lower pressures.

JDE, did you get the airstation or the one that looks like the drill?

So far mine has inflated:

• 4 dodge ram 2500 tires, from the 50's psi to 80 lbs each
  • 4 mercedes tires to 51 psi
  • 4 jetta tires to 44 psi
  • 2 airbags on my sunrader to 100 psi.

I will note the following, the dodge ram tires were beasts and required my largest battery the one with the power meter on it.

It needed to be recharged 1 time so i got 2 tires per charge.

All other vehicles were done on the standard Lithium packs with no issues.

the station I bought has a digital display and goes ABOVE 100 psi. I am not sure what you bought JDE, but mine works awesome.

Now, if you experienced the station just "die" while in mid compression, that means your battery is dead and you must put in charged one, set the PSI all over again (which is my only complaint on this, wish it had memory) and it will pick up where it left off. As mentioned there is another inflator that ryobi sells that looks like a drill, not a huge cube like the station, and that one is for smaller jobs... the P731 air station is light, portable and gets me away from trying to run 26 feet of 12 volt cigarette lighter line that pops fuses to the back of my rig to air up the airbags. I too have a harbor freight air pump but its major pain because it requires 2 people, one to make sure the cigarette lighter stays in good contact and one to monitor the pump so it doesnt explode the bags too much.

With the ryobi air station i can literally plug it on and walk away and get a sandwhich and it will shutoff when it comes to proper pressure which on airbags is about 10 seconds

On 9/25/2016 at 10:39 PM, BobBeery said:

I would like to see a photo of that dual chuck with shrader to 1/4.  Any chance you could post one?

bob, yup as soon as I get a chance. I'll take maybe a video too.. this station was a far better solution than trying to do an onboard permanent compressor like I had originally intended.

7 minutes ago, Totem said:

bob, yup as soon as I get a chance. I'll take maybe a video too.. this station was a far better solution than trying to do an onboard permanent compressor like I had originally intended.

Where did you get the valve from? 

3 minutes ago, zulandio said:

i made it. basically you hook the shrader part on as if its a tire stem, and that part goes to the wand, so the wand is an add on tool.

The shrader valve piece you get for use on a pig tank, but with the correct thread it will mate to a wand on the side where a normal air tool quick coupler would go.

The bad? having to hold it on.....with a compressor that has high pressure but low volume like the station.

Edited by Totem

get the station at home depot. Menards doesn't sell them if we are talking about ryobi.

Mind you I have damn near most of what ryobi makes so the decision for me was easy one. If your cordless drill is not ryobi you may want to get one of the same make as your drill, such as mikita, bosch, etc

17 minutes ago, Totem said:

1 hour ago, Totem said:

JDE, did you get the airstation or the one that looks like the drill?

I got the power-station. I have not tried it yet with one of those big Lithium batteries with the "charge meter."  I did not have any when I got the charger and just used it with the old Nickel batteries.  I do have half a dozen of those new batteries.   Next time I am in the UP I will try and see if it makes a difference.  I WILL say those new batteries are amazing.  I've now got over a dozen of the older nickel batteries that I will never use.  Worst thing about them is they are always dead when I need them unless I charge shortly before.

In fact, I'm heading up in a few days for what will likely be our last trip until next summer.  It's starting to get cold here (tip of the mitt) and likely colder in the UP.  I have a bunch of Toyota parts waiting for me in the Canadian Sault Ste Marie.

1 minute ago, jdemaris said:

I got the power-station. I have not tried it yet with one of those big Lithium batteries with the "charge meter."  I did not have any when I got the charger and just used it with the old Nickel batteries.  I do have half a dozen of those new batteries.   Next time I am in the UP I will try and see if it makes a difference.  I WILL say those new batteries are amazing.  I've now got over a dozen of the older nickel batteries that I will never use.  Worst thing about them is they are always dead when I need them unless I charge shortly before.

yeah the nickel batteries are less than useless. after tearing mine apart to see if I could somehow rebuild them using laptop batteries i gave up and threw them out.

I do see plenty of dead lithium batteries for sale on ebay, i've been considering opening one up to see if its got laptop batteries inside. if so I can refurb several.