So I picked up a 1982 Toyota sunrader about a year ago thinking that I would do a minor remodel and have a solid unit to do some road tripping. I bought it sign unseen for $2500 CAD from a guy in rural Alberta and immediately drove it back to BC to get to work on it. As I'm sure most of these things go, things inside of the 34 year old motorhome were worse than originally expected and the project grew.  A lot. Here are some pics of the progress up to this point. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I knew it was going to be a bit rough around the edges with it being a 34 year old motorhome, it turned out to be worse than that.  All the panelling was rotten, and it was full of mice droppings, nests, and mold.  A total gut job.

There are plenty of pictures so I'll just post a link to the photos if anyone is interested in seeing them.  I've tried to organize them chronologically as best as I could. 

http://imgur.com/a/aiOUc

Know the feeling. I bought a 93 that needed a redo.   On top of what I knew needed being redone and what I knew I wanted to do or try, see my other post every &^%$#@ part is broken!

I delude myself by repeating no matter how much I put in this it will still be way less than the depreciation on a new one :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 10:46 PM, Vermonter said:

Epic rebuild. I'm really liking the barn boards look. I'm assuming pallet pieces? 

GREAT job!

yup, mostly pallet pieces.  And a few fence boards when I got tired of cleaning up pallets

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Going down this road as we speak. The early stage photos look just like the memories that currently haunt me from last summer. I'm going with the original design look, but with better woods. Wondering if you'll make it up over the hills with some of those sweet rustic wood pieces you added.. :) Looks great! 

Question, did the roof stay bowed after your efforts? 

On 7/25/2017 at 8:35 PM, jimgillaspy said:

Going down this road as we speak. The early stage photos look just like the memories that currently haunt me from last summer. I'm going with the original design look, but with better woods. Wondering if you'll make it up over the hills with some of those sweet rustic wood pieces you added.. :) Looks great! 

Question, did the roof stay bowed after your efforts? 

I did sell the unit, but everything was as good as can be when I let it go.  The roof held up well over the time I had it and even over winter with some pretty extensive snowfalls.  Overall, I think the laminated wood beams were a good way to go because they gave a bit of flex whenever there was some load on the roof and then sprung back up afterwards.  As far as weight goes, I think it was actually quite a bit lighter than stock after redoing it.  When i weighed in, it was 5300 lbs total (1300 front and 4000 rear), but that was fully loaded with camp gear,  full tank of gas, 2 full propane tanks, 2 people, an 80 lb dog, full thule on the roof and a 250 dirtbike and rack on the back.  Don't get me wrong, it was still as slow as can be on the hills, but I don't blame the wood on this one.