air-condition other than roof-air

sonny sunrader

I'm trying to come up with an alternative to roof a/c, it's to expensive. I found a used roof unit on craigslist for $300.00 and it's at least 100 miles away. I found and bought a 3 year old $450.00 portable unit for $80.00 it's like brand-new. I have a rear dinette Sunrader 21' has really good size closet amidship, thought I could cut an exhaust hole through the back of the closet and through the fiberglass to vent it outside. I wound then cut to hole through the closet door and add some screening to let the air flow out to the camper, 115acv is just to the rear of closet, just need a hole to run cord through. Unit also has 1400 btu heating in it.  

Has anyone else tried anything similar to this, and does anyone have some better ideas?

Your going to cut holes into a Sunrader shell? I have a portable AC unit I use in my tiny 18 foot Sunrader. When camping I move the passenger seat all the way forward and have a platform that the AC unit sits on. Vent out the passenger window. Curtain between the cab and coach keeps the heat out plus put shade in the front window. Are you going to need this every time you camp? when I don't need mine it stays home so no extra weight. Please don't cut any big holes you will regret. You are going to lower the value of your rig much more than a new roof unit would cost. It's fall now. You have plenty of time to find a better solution

Linda S

OK maybe cutting a hole not a good idea, did some investigating I think I can vent it out the top grate for the refrigerator. I will bolt the hose adapter right to the grate itself. Don't think the unit I have will fit in cab, really heavy and quite large. But thanks for the advise Linda! Hope this works, I'm planing on using the A/C, heater and dehumidifier unit, which is what this is in our 3 season porch when not camping.

Yeah I bought the littlest one I could find. Don't need much cooling for 18 feet. I don't put mine in the cab. It fits behind the seat and I can still get in and out of the camper. Just vent hose goes to cab. If this isn't going to come in and out you need the have a drain for it. All the portables I've ever seen needed to be drained once and a while.

Linda S

14 hours ago, sonny sunrader said:

OK maybe cutting a hole not a good idea, did some investigating I think I can vent it out the top grate for the refrigerator. I will bolt the hose adapter right to the grate itself. Don't think the unit I have will fit in cab, really heavy and quite large. But thanks for the advise Linda! Hope this works, I'm planing on using the A/C, heater and dehumidifier unit, which is what this is in our 3 season porch when not camping.

Your missing a very important point of Linda's installation, she has isolated the hot side from the cold side with the curtain. You will be venting the hot air outside, good, but your setup will be drawing in replacement air from the outside. Outside is hot  So you will have a bubble of cold air in front of the ac and hot air coming in though all the vents.

Just because you got the ac cheap doesn't mean its right, sell it next summer and rethink your plans.

There are some 2 hose units stating to show up in the market, study them and maybe you can convert your unit.   http://www.whynter.com/productdetail/air_comfort/portable_air_conditioners/353

The vents will be closed and recirculating the inside air, and the unit I have has a 2 hose setup, like I said it's a really nice unit. The one hose takes out the hot air, the other brings in fresh air from outside which will be hot air. The unit I got is the top of the line SOLEUS-AIR model number  LX-140/LX-140BL. It has a removable panel so it will circulate the inside air.

Edited by sonny sunrader
added content

OK check out the unit and it looks good, OF course its big enough to turn a Rader into a portable meat locker :lol:

1 hour ago, WME said:

OK check out the unit and it looks good, OF course its big enough to turn a Rader into a portable meat locker :lol:

I know it's on the large size, was going to buy a smaller unit, but this was a better unit and I got it for less money . I have a 3 season room I will use it in, I may find a smaller a/c for my sunrader. I have until spring to think about it. Guess there's no big hurry! Does anyone know how big of genny it takes to run a 14,000 btu a/c unit?

You will need 2800/3000 w generator. You will be looking at a 40-50 amp starting surge

23 minutes ago, WME said:

You will need 2800/3000 w generator. You will be looking at a 40-50 amp starting surge

Thanks WME I appreciate all the info you have given on here, keep on RVing!

I've been thinking, (always dangerous) put unit in rv and studied the issue, I think i'm going to do exactly what Linda S did in hers. It just seems to make sense and I don't have to do anything to the Sunrader that would be expensive to repair. Thanks for all the good advice, a real thank you to Linda S

I did make a foam board thingy to use in the front passenger window to make it more efficient. Dollar store foam board like for a kids project. Helps the heat go out instead of in the cab. Window rolled up enough to lock tube in place and foam board to cover remaining opening

Linda S

Thanks for all the help Linda You've been great. If I ever get to outer space i'll look you up!

Edited by sonny sunrader