Looking for a Sunrader

TDH4L

Hello everyone, I'm on the market for a 18ft Sunrader. I have a family of 4 and I think this is what is best for me. I was looking at Vanagon Westfalia at first but I think a Sunrader is better for my need. I saw a 18ft V6 model in good condition. I never purchase an RV before so any tips or advise would be great.

5 minutes ago, Totem said:

1st tip, no its the wrong rig.. you want the 21 footer sunrader for a family of four.

I don't really carry to much things and its mostly for weekend get away. I like the 18ft just because its easy to park on a standard parking space.

43 minutes ago, TDH4L said:

I don't really carry to much things and its mostly for weekend get away. I like the 18ft just because its easy to park on a standard parking space.

I traveled and camped many times with a Dodge pickup and a small  slide-on Jayco pop-top on the back.  Had less room then a 18 foot Sunrader and no bathroom. It was crowed at times but we did fine.  We just took a trip in our 21 foot Minicruiser and had six people and a fat dog.   Worked out fine.  But no - all of us did NOT sleep in it.  Might depend on just how big your kids are?

1. You will carry to much stuff, its the nature of the beast with a family of 4.:P

2 Where you camp is very important. In a campground with water and showers no problem. Dry camp with small kids and you will wonder where all the water went and why  your waste tanks are full. With an Toy MH you have limited water and holding capacity.

3 Go home and pack for a weekend put it in boxes blankets, sheets, towels, clothes for everyone, food for 4 meals, pots and pans and plates, silverware (even plastic and paper takes up space,  and see how much stuff it is. Then go shopping for your new RV.

4 Are you a good mechanic? Because you are going to be dealing with a 25 year old RV that who knows how it has been treated by a multitude of owners.

If we haven't scared you off then a V-6 Sunrader is rare and desirable.  

Yes you can manage fine in an 18 footer. Camping, your outdoors most of the time anyway. If you travel very far though the ride in the back for the kids is a rough one. Lots of bouncing behind the rear wheels. if you do have the opportunity to get a V6 model it will be a little better. the V6 shorty is very rare. Grab it while you can. if it ends up being too small you can certainly resell it and make some money and then go with a larger one. Just know there is no room in the black holding tank for any showers. I try to camp where I can swim or there are showers available. With 4 people you will use up the available space in it in a couple of days just using the pottie

Linda S

I have 4 people in my family and its pretty much as RVdaytrader desribes it. Not big enough. Ive seen the 18 footers and they wouldnt be fit to run my familay for even 1 night without having to get divorce attorneys or involving a domestic.

The extra 3 feet of space equate to absolutely nothing on the parking lot but precious space for extra water etc to your family. Do yourself a favor as WME has suggested and conduct that drill.

On 9/23/2016 at 11:36 AM, TDH4L said:

Hello everyone, I'm on the market for a 18ft Sunrader. I have a family of 4 and I think this is what is best for me. I was looking at Vanagon Westfalia at first but I think a Sunrader is better for my need. I saw a 18ft V6 model in good condition. I never purchase an RV before so any tips or advise would be great.

How much is the one you are looking at? Just curious.  This one at a dealer in New Mexico looks pretty good - at least from here in Michigan.

Image2.jpg

00A0A_fu3oh2MPMrt_1200x900.jpg

00C0C_jqkroN3veNV_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_knbD3BHVcrM_1200x900.jpg

00i0i_1m8kvPpRCXC_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_7CCcrMhjvg2_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_9Xqfd4q1XRm_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_6O3Y9X5EGMo_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_cbi74e9KaX0_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_3aXd3WrNdo3_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_bCE0UMvXQwL_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_3x9vu2NhgvR_1200x900.jpg

00101_eBiuV9YD63I_1200x900.jpg

00707_78eOvNRK7H_1200x900.jpg

01010_iSew9NV6KTS_1200x900.jpg

01313_cN1EIIAwiwT_1200x900.jpg

01616_h9TkDzsxIcJ_1200x900.jpg

Thanks for all the good suggestions and info. I might look into the 21 foot also. I still prefer the 18. Other than CL is there  any other site that I should be looking at?

no difference in sleeping area between the 18-21. There is a big difference in the bath. Both have wet baths, but the 18 is very narrow. If you are claustrophobic or kinda wide, you want the 21. Also, 18s are rare and command a premium. The 21 would be the way to go, IMO. Also, I would not worry about finding a V-6. The 4 makes close to the same power and, IMO, is a much better engine.

13 hours ago, 86rader said:

no difference in sleeping area between the 18-21. There is a big difference in the bath. Both have wet baths, but the 18 is very narrow. If you are claustrophobic or kinda wide, you want the 21. Also, 18s are rare and command a premium. The 21 would be the way to go, IMO. Also, I would not worry about finding a V-6. The 4 makes close to the same power and, IMO, is a much better engine.

I do like the 22RE motor. I wish someone here in Kitsap county have a 21 foot that I can see. I know the 18 is more rare but that's the only one I've see so far.

2 hours ago, Totem said:

HAHA... "Superior to Dolphin"... I like this lister's style... :)

wonder if it has full floater on rear. Rear dinette in great shape for that price i would take it.

Well the ad says 86 which would mean it came with a full floater. But I just looked closer to the pics. The refrigerator configuration suggests this is really an 85. By 86 there were never any cabinets immediately above the fridge. So as far as full floater maybe , maybe not

Linda S

my RV says its an "86" on its title but the chasis production date is 1985. Means it was a stock truck that got shipped to the RV builder the following year; so its quite possible that it is indeed an "86" with a foolie rear.

Just as fast as my 18 footer. just takes a little longer to get up to speed but really not much difference. You need to get out there and drive some Toyota motorhomes. any model will do. Find out if they are going to be right for you at all before you jump

Linda S

8 minutes ago, linda s said:

Just as fast as my 18 footer. just takes a little longer to get up to speed but really not much difference. You need to get out there and drive some Toyota motorhomes. any model will do. Find out if they are going to be right for you at all before you jump

Linda S

Yeah I need to get to the local Toyota owners in town.

9 minutes ago, noobz said:

This sunrader was up for sale for 3800 last week.  Looks like someone scooped it up to turn a quick profit.  

At that price I would be tempted to do some scooping too. It's also possible the original owners discovered how much it was really worth and changed the price

Linda S

8 hours ago, TDH4L said:

How fast can a 21FT 22R motor cruise on a flat freeway?

Cruise at what speed?  Wind-resistance is the big problem and no 22R or 22RE is going go "cruise" at 75 MPH. Likely not 65 MPH either unless you keep the gas pedal near the floor and don't mind getting 10-11 MPG.  It is the reason why we (my family) are considering travelling cross- country in our 78 Chinook with a 20R instead of our 1988 Minicruiser with the 22RE.  The Chinook WILL cruise at 65 MPH without a lot of effort because it has a low roof.   My 1988 certainly will not do that too well.  55-60 MPH is the "sweet spot" for any high-roof Toyota RV I've driven.

If you want to keep up with normal speeds on 75 MPH freeways - get a camper with a Dodge truck chassis and diesel.  My 1992 will do 75 MPH and get 17 MPG.

10 hours ago, linda s said:

Linda S

Would you happen to have any photos of the rear seat belts on you Sunrader?

just curious on why the seat belt question. Rear coach seatbelts in these RVs serve no purpose other than restraining a child to a seat, they provide 0 safety and actually can do more harm than good in an accident. Also they are lap-belt only.

17 minutes ago, TDH4L said:

Would you happen to have any photos of the rear seat belts on you Sunrader?

The rear seat belts on my Sunrader are in the garage. No one ever rides back there. Like Totem said just lap belts that attach to bolts in wall. I would consider using them for grandkids when they get old enough to camp but only for short, less than an hour trips, Not comfortable back there. If you want to travel with kids without them throwing up find a V6, much smoother ride, and one with sofa behind driver. Between axles makes it smoother too. Has to be a 21 footer for that though. Rear dinette models with sitting area behind rear wheel make for a very rough ride.

Linda S

Our RV is the 21 rear kitchen, rear corner bath with couches immediately after drivers cab; we do well in it but i have cooked breakfast while wife drives standing in the very back and I can tell you Linda is absolutely right; bounce city back there. I'll admit also I sit down to go to the bathroom when wife is driving also to avoid making a mess of myself and everywhere else.

Now I am curious also; did the 18 come in a config other than rear dinette?

33 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Think back to riding in the back of the schoolbus! :)

We did not have any school buses when I was a kid.  I know now though that many areas are adopted rule to mandate kids wearing seat-belts.  It was bad enough getting stuck behind the buses when no kids were messing with them.  At least in NY. Here in MI it is much better.  

I also know in NY, rear seat belts for kids in our RV was required. Not sure about MI. I DID know at one time, but have forgotten.