jjrbus

New gas tank 94 Sea Breeze

Watching the mechanics drop my tank on my 93, it is a piece of pie : )  and they did it with 1/2 tank of gas!  That was 2 strong young guys with a floor jack.  From what I have read it is important to be gentle with the small lines for the fuel pump as they can be damaged easy.  Personally I would replace the fuel pump while I had it out.  They can be had cheap, but the OE Denso seems to last for a looooong time.   The Denso appears to be in the under $100 range online. 

HTH  Jim

12 hours ago, redskinman said:

Looks like I might be needing a new tank also,how hard is it to drop one of these out? I did a search on here and found nothing

I have been reading on another forum that people have been having lots of issues with new Spectra replacement tanks leaking and are sealing them before installation. 

41 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

I have been reading on another forum that people have been having lots of issues with new Spectra replacement tanks leaking and are sealing them before installation. 

If you're referring to Facebook, there are indeed 2 people who report having problems with the Spectra tanks. I did a Google search for 'Spectra tank problem' and didn't notice much of anything.

35 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

If you're referring to Facebook, there are indeed 2 people who report having problems with the Spectra tanks. I did a Google search for 'Spectra tank problem' and didn't notice much of anything.

Yes from FB. I have been watching fuel tanks for a couple months since my pump failure and have seen several references to replacement tanks leaking.  There are also reports of replacement tank failures on Yotatech forum.  The Yota leaks were at the spot welds where the baffles were installed,  I don't remember my tank having baffles?   Enough to make me think about sealing new tank before installation.  The POR15 sealer is $25 a pint, should be easy to clean and coat new tank?

I also did the tank problem search and found near zero results. 

Haven't looked at Yotatech. But one problem with the net is that a single problem can be reported over and over and little by little, it can start to look like a major problem. Was it the same person or two reporting the problem on Yotatech? I'm not saying that's the case here, but just a general comment.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Couldn't resist looking on Yotatech. NEKCHRIS is the same person as posts here and on FB. And perhaps on the 2 Yahoo Groups. And so it spreads. :)

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/2-replacement-gas-tanks-failed-weld-spots-292231/

Thanks for checking,  I missed the connection!

Over the years, I've seen many posts (here and Yahoo Groups) where the info about Spectra tanks was posted. I've no idea how many used the info to buy and install Spectra tanks, but certainly not a flood of complaints.

Spectra Premium is a local (to me) company. I know they have production facilities here but I've no idea if anything they sell in North America are made in Mexico or Chindia! :)

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/ccc/srch/nvgt.do?lang=eng&prtl=1&estblmntNo=234567032844&profile=cmpltPrfl&profileId=1661&app=sold

If mine indeed does have rust in it,and I can figure out how to get it off I will try to re-seal it first,depends on how rusty it is.

4 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Couldn't resist looking on Yotatech. NEKCHRIS is the same person as posts here and on FB. And perhaps on the 2 Yahoo Groups. And so it spreads. :)

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/2-replacement-gas-tanks-failed-weld-spots-292231/

I asked Seth on FB and he said this is happening now and he did not post on Yotatech ???

I not sure Derek, but 5 defective tanks on one thread is cause for concern to my way of thinking and no one piping up with a rebuttal. 

A company that makes bad tanks would make bad ones for all vehicles, not just Toyota's. I don't see that this is an issue for any other vehicles using Spectra tanks. They are pretty much the go to company for all people needing a fuel tank replacement. Would be like not using Denso because some one on the internet complained about them.

Linda S

I ordered this tank from Ebay. Same company that Linda gave me the link to.  I cannot say I am full of confidence on this purchase.    Does come with a 10 year warranty, I do not know who the manufacturer is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131022507698?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Well I ended up getting lucky,had very little debris come out of gas tank after draining it,which shocked me after seeing the fuel filter that came off

1 hour ago, redskinman said:

Well I ended up getting lucky,had very little debris come out of gas tank after draining it,which shocked me after seeing the fuel filter that came off

The fuel filter did its job.  There is another filter or sleeve in the tank for the fuel pickup.  Mine was so bad I do not know if the pump was actually bad or the sleeve was plugged!

Does anyone know where I can find a gas tank and and a receiver for a 1987 Toyota Conquest Motorhome? And also does a gas tank come with the float that works the gas gauge?

Gas tank is easy $175, fuel tank sender harder. Maybe $50, but they are in Thailand