New gas tank 94 Sea Breeze

jjrbus

94 Toyota Sea Breeze 6cyl auto.  Looks like a new tank is in my future, I have been doing a bit of surfing but unsure of which tank I will need or if it is available?  Looking at tank before I am sure it is a standard 17 gal (US not Imperial :rolleyes:) Some use beginnings of Vin for ordering,, mine is JT5VN94.

I would like to stall this till I get home,but if filter or pump goes again I will have to do something.. if I  could pick one up between Seattle and Fl and save shipping that would be a plus.      Jim

Depends on your route.  In Traverse City Michigan there is a shop that is pretty good at repairing existing gas tanks.  Coil's, 231-947-4515

Route will be south from Washington state, then across the SW and south to Fl.

I have not done a through search on this and find quality tank repair is in the $600 range?

Thanks for the response,  Jim

Summit racing has stores near Reno and Atlanta but shipping would be free on the gas tank if you wanted to wait until you get home

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-to8d

This place also has free shipping and it's super cheap but don't know anything about the quality of the product

https://www.am-autoparts.com/Toyota/Pickup/fuel-tanks/AM-26216967/431218.html?gclid=CJ7WzbTIps8CFYqPfgodFTEL_w

Linda S

26 minutes ago, linda s said:

Summit racing has stores near Reno and Atlanta but shipping would be free on the gas tank if you wanted to wait until you get home

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-to8d

This place also has free shipping and it's super cheap but don't know anything about the quality of the product

https://www.am-autoparts.com/Toyota/Pickup/fuel-tanks/AM-26216967/431218.html?gclid=CJ7WzbTIps8CFYqPfgodFTEL_w

Linda S

That is one of the sites that confuses me.   They show 88 to 95 with vin #'s

1988-1995 Toyota Pickup Fuel Tank 17 Gallon for Fuel Injected 2WD Models with (VIN RN85, RN90, VZN85, & VZN90)

mine is JT5VN94 ??   Not sure if it  is the same or not?   Jim     

I searched your Toyota part number for your rig. Don't need a vin just the year which is not a 94, they stopped making the dually in 93. Then went to double wheel. Toyota has discontinued making the fuel tanks so I searched google for matching parts for that number. These came up. They're the right ones. There weren't that many different fuel tanks anyway. 4x4 and 2wd and smaller one for a short bed.

Linda S

14 minutes ago, linda s said:

I searched your Toyota part number for your rig. Don't need a vin just the year which is not a 94, they stopped making the dually in 93. Then went to double wheel. Toyota has discontinued making the fuel tanks so I searched google for matching parts for that number. These came up. They're the right ones. There weren't that many different fuel tanks anyway. 4x4 and 2wd and smaller one for a short bed.

Linda S

Thanks Linda, saved me a lot of time!   I will try to chase down quality of tank as I would be thrilled with the $100 price.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input on this, greatly appreciated.  I am mulling this over and wondering if I should stay some where on the west coast and wait for new tank, in case I have to pull tank again.

Wait until I have to pull tank, if that happens. Then order new one.  That could leave me in not so rv friendly place.

Or taking into consideration that crappy old filter and pump lasted 1 year and 2500 miles, I should put on rose colored optimist glasses and finish 3500 mile return trip and order when I get home.

Tank is not leaking, rust in tank, may have plugged filter or ruined pump or pump may have worn out normally, we will never know. Then there is the thought, how many have tanks in worse shape that are unaware of it?

What is the sentiment of my peer's?      Jim

What was done to the tank when the pump was replaced??

Go for it, when you get home buy a lotto ticket.....

I think stock Toyota tanks have a drain plug. Drain out a mason jar worth of gas and see what it looks like. Clear gas, go for it. Junk in the gas, order a new tank.

I have the drain.

I have poor internet service (jungle wifi in the Philippines) and cannot do extensive searches. What I did find seemed to indicate that having tanks redone is expensive $600.  The kits to redo tanks are $80-90 and do not seem to have a good reputation.

From what I see $116 for a new one is a real bargin

Anything I'm missing?

Two possible tanks TO-8D or TO-9B. The 8D is 37" long and the 9B is 30" long. Easy to see what you have

The tanks are Spectra Premium. Just google Spectra and the pn. Make sure you include shipping when you figure $$ 

Another sealer http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Read reviews and instructions online for sealers.  

• 1 month later...

I am getting caught up after my trip and decided to order the Spectrum tank that Linda found and it was the only one at that price and sold!  Other tanks for around $100 with shipping but of unknown quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Gallon-Gas-Fuel-Tank-for-88-93-94-95-Toyota-Pickup-2WD-/350902319082?fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3APickup&hash=item51b36877ea:g:UxUAAOSwEeFU9fof&vxp=mtr

• 4 weeks later...

So is it installed, inquiring minds want to know.

Watching the mechanics drop my tank on my 93, it is a piece of pie : )  and they did it with 1/2 tank of gas!  That was 2 strong young guys with a floor jack.  From what I have read it is important to be gentle with the small lines for the fuel pump as they can be damaged easy.  Personally I would replace the fuel pump while I had it out.  They can be had cheap, but the OE Denso seems to last for a looooong time.   The Denso appears to be in the under $100 range online. 

HTH  Jim

12 hours ago, redskinman said:

Looks like I might be needing a new tank also,how hard is it to drop one of these out? I did a search on here and found nothing

I have been reading on another forum that people have been having lots of issues with new Spectra replacement tanks leaking and are sealing them before installation. 

41 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

I have been reading on another forum that people have been having lots of issues with new Spectra replacement tanks leaking and are sealing them before installation. 

If you're referring to Facebook, there are indeed 2 people who report having problems with the Spectra tanks. I did a Google search for 'Spectra tank problem' and didn't notice much of anything.

35 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

If you're referring to Facebook, there are indeed 2 people who report having problems with the Spectra tanks. I did a Google search for 'Spectra tank problem' and didn't notice much of anything.

Yes from FB. I have been watching fuel tanks for a couple months since my pump failure and have seen several references to replacement tanks leaking.  There are also reports of replacement tank failures on Yotatech forum.  The Yota leaks were at the spot welds where the baffles were installed,  I don't remember my tank having baffles?   Enough to make me think about sealing new tank before installation.  The POR15 sealer is $25 a pint, should be easy to clean and coat new tank?

I also did the tank problem search and found near zero results. 

Haven't looked at Yotatech. But one problem with the net is that a single problem can be reported over and over and little by little, it can start to look like a major problem. Was it the same person or two reporting the problem on Yotatech? I'm not saying that's the case here, but just a general comment.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Couldn't resist looking on Yotatech. NEKCHRIS is the same person as posts here and on FB. And perhaps on the 2 Yahoo Groups. And so it spreads. :)

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/2-replacement-gas-tanks-failed-weld-spots-292231/

Thanks for checking,  I missed the connection!

Over the years, I've seen many posts (here and Yahoo Groups) where the info about Spectra tanks was posted. I've no idea how many used the info to buy and install Spectra tanks, but certainly not a flood of complaints.

Spectra Premium is a local (to me) company. I know they have production facilities here but I've no idea if anything they sell in North America are made in Mexico or Chindia! :)

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/ccc/srch/nvgt.do?lang=eng&prtl=1&estblmntNo=234567032844&profile=cmpltPrfl&profileId=1661&app=sold

4 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Couldn't resist looking on Yotatech. NEKCHRIS is the same person as posts here and on FB. And perhaps on the 2 Yahoo Groups. And so it spreads. :)

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/2-replacement-gas-tanks-failed-weld-spots-292231/

I asked Seth on FB and he said this is happening now and he did not post on Yotatech ???