Thought I would like some window awnings for my dinette and sofa windows to keep the evening sun out. But I looked and saw they would be about $500 for 2 4.5 foot awnings from Carefree thru camping world. Being cheap and having a 27 year old class C, I figured I could make one awning that I could put on whatever side the sun was shining on. Used 1 10 foot length of half inch EMT conduit, 1 yard of outdoor fabric from Walmart, a length of 1/2 inch PVC, 2 elbows, 4 rubber cane tips, 4 J hooks, 10 feet of paracord, 2 tent line tighteners.Cost about $25 for everything.

Made two sets of side arms so I could adjust the awning higher or lower. It is stable in stiff wind, more so than I thought it would be. You guys with the fancy Sunraders may not want to attach brackets to the outside but for the rest of us this is an option!!

GEDC2167.JPG

GEDC2168.JPG

GEDC2165.JPG

GEDC2173.JPG

Good thinking and good looking awnings!   Looking at same issue in my toy I opted to try some foam insulation board. It is inside, I made two channels from wood top and bottom and the panel slips right in.  The panels will store under the mattress when not in use.  This is still in the experimenting/developing stage and may end up in the trash, but seems to be working out.   I cannot post pictures for some time.

I have thermal black out curtains connected via velcro on the inside. Makes it pitch black inside and helps keep heat in or out. Looked at 4 types of curtains to get a true blackout. And you have to sew or know someone willing to do it for you for cheap or free. My mum did mine. 

• 1 year later...

Hello from barra de navidad Mexico ,

Good idea for the mini awning ,I am thinking of building the bigger awning that woul cover the whole side of my Toy , something very manual  , just like in the photos above .

anybody with any tips ?or extra photos I could study ?

Thank you in advance .