Swapping to manual trans - nice surprise

zero

I've been searching all over for the parts needed to swap my 1988 Minicruiser with a 22RE to manual trans.  2WD trucks are pretty scarce around here and 4WD won't work.  I just got a pleasant surprise.  I found just what I need in Canada and they will bring the parts across the border for me (I am not allowed in Canada).  $400 for everything.  Flywheel, clutch linkage, G-series 5 speed trans, etc.   Only slight catch is Canada has an extra 3% penalty for parts sold that did not originate from North America.  Since 1988 Toyotas come straight from Japan, I get charged the extra 3%.   I give a thumbs-up to William King & Son Salvage LTD in Sault Ste Marie, Canada.  Free delivery to the other Sault Ste Marie in Michigan.  Great people to deal with.

I have been trying to deal with this guy that is 4 hours drive from me in the western UP but I give up.  Cannot even get a return phone call.

Image2.jpg

No.  The one in that Craigslist ad is the guy who won't return my calls.  So I gave up and called the junkyard in Canada.  Ends up buying from Canada is cheaper and easier.  I own land and a cabin near the other Sault Ste Marie in the USA.  So all I have to do is call the Canuks a day ahead of time, and they will deliver across the border for me. Just the trans, clutch linkage, flywheel, clutch, etc. Not getting another engine.

2 hours ago, jdemaris said:

Only slight catch is Canada has an extra 3% penalty for parts sold that did not originate from North America.  Since 1988 Toyotas come straight from Japan, I get charged the extra 3%.

I can't say I understand that. Are you sure it's not the US Government that's charging the 3% duty for importing non-NAFTA car parts?

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

I can't say I understand that. Are you sure it's not the US Government that's charging the 3% duty for importing non-NAFTA car parts?

Maybe.   The guy at the Canadian junkyard just told me there is a 3% charge for parts that are not sourced from North America. He did not specify which country is charging it.  Maybe it IS a USA thing and he has to pay it to cross into the USA.  Great place to deal with.