Bumper Cargo Carrier

thepager5

Hey everyone,

I have been trying to figure out how much metal it will take to build a cargo tray on the back of my 86 Dolphin. I noticed a cargo tray that is bumper mounted in the local Harbor Freight Tools circular. BUT, when I got there they were out of the advertised one for $59.99. They showed me another one that was larger and would hold 500lbs. Here is the best deal I have found for a cargo carrier.

clear.gif

500 Pound Capacity!

Solid steel platform has detachable side rails and braces let you carry items you have no room for (or don't want) in your vehicle - extra-large coolers, lawn mowers, suitcases, and more. Fits all standard 2'' receivers.

• Capacity: 500 lbs.
  • Dimensions: 20'' x 60''
  • Total weight: 52 lbs

• ITEM 34313-3VGA

$59.99 $49.99

This is the online price - the store price is advertised at $39.99. THIS IS A BARGIN! http://www.harborfreight.com/

I took it by a buddy and he said he could have this mounted with 2 extra side supports in about 30 minutes and a labor cost of $25. There is no way I could ever build this and have it complete for under $70.

Hope someone finds this useful - I sure did.

Kevin

Arkansas

post-1069-1203551481_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1203551752_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey there,

I am actually as I write, I am in Greybull, Wyoming on a 2 week trip to yellowstone. 1376 miles so far.

The cargo carrier is working great - I have a cargo tub and a small generator on it. It does not add any stress to driving but, it doeas add lenghth in an area that is already hard to see.

I mounted my recevicer off center (to the left) because of the ladder and the way I haul my bicycles. This also helps me offset the weight accross the back.

All in all, the added space is worth it to me.

See ya,

Pager

Arkansas

Pager,

Looking forward to a full report when you get back.

Safe travels,

shanda