Toyota mini motor homes 4 cylinder vs V6 pros and cons of both

christopher collard

I can't say that I have had a lot of "problems" with power steering. Before moving to the city quite frankly they really didn't bother me much. However I can't remember exactly how many cars I drove where, when I heard that specific noise, I got out the can of PS steering fluid I always had on and and topped it off. I know that it was more than a few cars I have owned. The Toyota sits on clean concrete in the city and I really don't want the drips.  It is also one more belt to maintain and while that isn't a big deal it is nice not to have to worry about it. There is apparently one more maintenance issue with the Toyota power steering units -- also no big deal -- that I am sure JD could explain and I would like to learn about.

When I was replacing all the rubber on my 22re, Jerry from 22re performance threw in a vacuum hose kit for a 22re with power steering. As I don't have a power steering unit I didn't need the hoses. However, it might just be a senior moment, but I can't remember having a vehicle where engine vacuum was tied to the power steering.  What do those hoses do and does anyone want a set of new ones?

Wade

RR, thanks for sharing the pictures!  I wish mine were in that good of shape!  I would like to do something like that with my rear bumper but will either have to make it removable or convince my wife to get rid of the arborvitae where it is parked.

Wade 

well my 98 2500 diesel dodge ram ate a PS pump and trashed its PS steering unit too...

First went the PS unit and when it went it was stalling out the truck and was so loose (splines had worn out on it i think) I put a PS stabilizer bracket on it and then next went the pump even though it steered like a dream with no slop after that.. when the pump went, I can tell you, that truck was damn near UN-drivable.

The pump was making horrible groaning noises when i would turn wheel and would shut off sometimes, had full amount of fluid... im not sure exactly what was wrong with it, i just swapped it out with a reman and have been fine since. I will say unequivocally that a 3/4 ton truck like a dodge ram with a diesel motor MUST have power steering or you in deep doo doo. The little toyota? not so much mine drives fine.

Edited by Totem

2 minutes ago, Totem said:

well my 98 2500 diesel dodge ram ate a PS pump and trashed its PS steering unit too...

First went the PS unit and when it went it was stalling out the truck and was so loose (splines had worn out on it i think) I put a PS stabilizer bracket on it and then next went the pump even though it steered like a dream with no slop after that.. when the pump went, I can tell you, that truck was damn near UN-drivable.

The pump was making horrible groaning noises when i would turn wheel and would shut off sometimes, had full amount of fluid... im not sure exactly what was wrong with it, i just swapped it out with a reman and have been fine since. I will say unequivocally that a 3/4 ton truck like a dodge ram with a diesel motor MUST have power steering or you in deep doo doo. They little toyota? not so much mine drives fine.

My power-steering box sprung a leak on my 1992 Dodge Ram diesel 4WD when it had 180,000 miles on it.  So I spent $100 and fixed it. Not exactly a huge investment or "premature" wear.  

My 1994 Ford F250 4WD diesel has over 300K miles and the PS system has never been touched. Nor has the PS system on my 1985 Isuzu 4WD diesel mini-truck.  The PS system on my 88 Toyota with a 22RE looks original too with 150K but I am not the original owner so cannot be sure.

Just now, jdemaris said:

My power-steering box sprung a leak on my 1992 Dodge Ram diesel 4WD when it had 180,000 miles on it.  So I spent $100 and fixed it. Not exactly a huge investment or "premature" wear.  

My 1994 Ford F250 4WD diesel has over 300K miles and the PS system has never been touched. Nor has the PS system on my 1985 Isuzu 4WD diesel mini-truck.  The PS system on my 88 Toyota with a 22RE looks original too with 150K but I am not the original owner so cannot be sure.

well, on mine the PS unit was shot and at 268,000 miles was original, so I cant feel bad. the pump was blown by me, while mudding my truck at twisted trails off road park in Copemish Michigan.. totally my fault when i blew that thing up but was fun as hell doing it.

• 6 years later...
On 9/14/2016 at 1:34 AM, Wade said:

FWIW, I think other posters have covered this topic better than what I have to say.  Consider this just another opinion.

Handling, power, convenience, MPG, comfort, and durability, these seem to be the considerations. I have very limited experience in the specific category of motor homes. My prior coach was a class C 1976 Dodge El Dorodo with a 360, full floating dual axle set up as a single, 18 footer. The Dodge was a van cab and chassis vs a truck cab and chassis so the 18 foot was nearly equivalent to my current 21 foot Toy. Amenities are same although the space over the cab is bigger on the Toy and the Toy has rooftop air (so not quite the same;-).  The weight was within a couple of hundred pounds.

Handling: Cn't comment on the V6. From comparing the 4 Cyl Toy, hands down the dodge.  Although, nothing I can't deal with and frankly I have driven equivalent Dodges in van trim that handled much worse than my Toy. Maintaining what is there is critical and if done I am OK with the 85 4 cyl Toy.

Power:  I did love the Dodge. 70 MPH, not even remotely a problem as long as you didn't mind 8 or perhaps even less MPG. Frankly I enjoyed that and frequently couldn't stop myself from doing so.  Is that really a good thing?  Why do I really want to take the people I Love so fast in what is such an inherently unsafe vehicle?  The V6 appears to be a big improvement in power but having owned and enjoyed something way beyond that, for me, the increased power simply isn't worth the decrease in MPG. 

Convenience:  Don't have an opinion on this as I haven't serviced a V6.  The 22re is uncomfortable in that the valves need to be adjusted hot and the timing chain tensioner may need to be replaced. The V6 will need the timing belt changed and I don't know how inconvenient that is. From what I can see and after replacing nearly all engine rubber, the 22re is easy to work on and surprisingly the parts are readily available. Assume the availability of parts is the same on the V6 but I don't know how hard the V6 is to work on. (The Dodge, being a van, was no fun and parts are more sketchy.)

MPG:  Truth is on one level you could argue that the Doge wins because it is such a trivial cost in the whole cost of ownership for an RV so of course the V6 is a better choice than the 4.  My take on that is that sometimes rational economics is anything but.  I want better MPG even though it may be tough to make that argument economically. Oil is a finite resource and until there is a viable alternative why do I want to waste something so valuable when I don't have to?

Durability:  Seems to me that engines as durable as the 22Re are a rare breed and I just don't think that the V6 is quite at that level.  Kind of like the Dodge -- a pretty good engine but I think the 22re is a great engine.

Comfort.  Frankly in anything this old all I have to say is make it what you want.

Please forgive this rant or enjoy it for what it is -- someone new to this community expressing how amazing I think our little Toys are.  Personally I really like the 4 but I am sure the V6 is still better than the overwhelming majority of competing RVs.

From my understanding is the V6 that needs the valve trainer adjustment like every 60,000 miles not the re22 engine