Door lock for the camper door

Baseball Dad

I have a dead bolt but the lock to the camper is broken .I was wondering what lock has anybody got to replace the old lock?I was looking at

RV Designer T507 RV Motorhome Entry Lock with Deadbolt

The deal with the locks is you have a hole in your door. You need to find a lock that will fill that hole or your going to have to add some kind of panel to fill in the gap. Looked at that lock and it does seem bigger than most but only careful measuring will tell

Linda S

8 hours ago, Baseball Dad said:

I have a dead bolt but the lock to the camper is broken .I was wondering what lock has anybody got to replace the old lock?I was looking at

RV Designer T507 RV Motorhome Entry Lock with Deadbolt

The original lock-set is a Keeler and the same exact lock assembly was also used in 1977-78 Airstreams.  Airstream sells an adapter kit to retrofit a newer type lock that works fine in a Chinook.  I posed the info and Airstream part #s here before.  I can't recall where they are on my own hard-drive right now.

100_1382.jpg

100_1381.jpg

100_1375.jpg

OK, I found the info on my old computer.   The OEM Keeler lock used on Toyota Chinooks was first replaced with a Bargman L300, by Airstream.   Those kits are no longer available - except used on Ebay or maybe old-stock somewhere.   The Bargman L300 then got replaced with a Trimark # 33677-01-K and THAT is still available new.  I suggest you hunt up a new Trimark on Ebay.  I got one new for $30 a while back.

31-8203_2.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image10.jpg

Image11.jpg

Image12.jpg

Image13.jpg

None of this model Trimark lock on ebay and the retailer you show that has it, is the only one I could find. I'm thinking this lock might have been discontinued too. Another option does come up when you google Bargman L300 replacement though. Specifically says it replaces the Bargman. Available at lots of places too so again Ebay might be an option

Linda S

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/parts/products/lock-rv-motor-home-entrance-31-8078?gclid=CM6GnNvzic8CFRBrfgod0BwEAg

I have the Bargman on my 1979 galavan. It's a pretty simple design. I've replaced some springs, and lubricated the mechanism. It still works fine.

It might be worth the effort to repair the existing lockset. If not so inclined, take to a locksmith and get an estimate for repairs. It might be cheaper than retrofitting a different lockset.

On my 93 I have no key for the Bargman, however it works fine as a door latch. Above it is a standard house type deadbolt which I use to lock the door. Deadbolt likely added after Bargman stopped locking?  

• 2 weeks later...

So my son and  I went to a local RV repair and service place by my house .I asked him about the lock I had and what was going on.At first he was like you need to drive it here.He said he doesn't no what kind of lock I had.So I had picture with a tape measure next to the lock on my phone and told him that on the internet they wanted about $150.-$200.He looks at me and said wait and goes to the back.He comes back and said does this look like it ?and my son says that's it.He said here you can have it for free.I shook his hand said thank you with a big cheesy smile and said score in my mind!!!!! He said next time it won't be.So I told my boss the next day and he asked where this place was because he needed his hole roof redone.I'm going to go there tomorrow and bring lunch for them.That's good business right there!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Baseball Dad said:

So my son and  I went to a local RV repair and service place by my house .I asked him about the lock I had and what was going on.At first he was like you need to drive it here.He said he doesn't no what kind of lock I had.So I had picture with a tape measure next to the lock on my phone and told him that on the internet they wanted about $150.-$200.He looks at me and said wait and goes to the back.He comes back and said does this look like it ?and my son says that's it.He said here you can have it for free.I shook his hand said thank you with a big cheesy smile and said score in my mind!!!!! He said next time it won't be.So I told my boss the next day and he asked where this place was because he needed his hole roof redone.I'm going to go there tomorrow and bring lunch for them.That's good business right there!!!!!!

There are very likely other members who live near you. Please post their name and address so others can get repairs from a decent guy

Linda S

Jaunt ,you are right.I tried the key I had and it did work on the lock he gave me.So change those dead bolt and lock them before you leave even for couple minutes.Just for a piece of mind. The place I went to is Meridian RV Service & Repair -9918 162nd street Ct E  Puyallup, WA .If there's any of you guys around here I would maybe like to meet with you guys .

1 hour ago, Baseball Dad said:

Jaunt ,you are right.I tried the key I had and it did work on the lock he gave me.So change those dead bolt and lock them before you leave even for couple minutes.Just for a piece of mind. The place I went to is Meridian RV Service & Repair -9918 162nd street Ct E  Puyallup, WA .If there's any of you guys around here I would maybe like to meet with you guys .

When I bought my Nissan Sunrader I got no keys except for the front doors and engine. I found all the keys I needed on my Toyota Sunrader key ring just for different places. Generator door fit house door and so on. Not the most secure way to go for sure. Since most of the locks are generic means pretty much anyone with an RV the same age might have a key to your door or your storage compartment. I did open a door for an elderly couple who lost their keys but said they had another set inside. Took me only a couple of minutes to find one that worked

Linda S

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those with a lock and no key, a locksmith can make one for you, cheap. With my deadbolt I also had the cylinder "reorganised" to  different key. I will probably switch the deadbolt over to  number pad system. Have that lock, but no time to check if it fits.

Another little known gem with the entry lock is that the latch will only work if the keyhole is left in vertical position and not if its in the locked position. This cylinder also comes out easy, but trying  to change its key is probably not much of an added security.  Seen quite a few people struggle with the latch and give up on the entry door lock entirely.

All the cabinet locks have cheap and easy replacements that are unique pin tumblers. The compartments arent difficult to get in without keys, but at least you will see evidence of a breakin.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:05 PM, PeterMartin said:

Thanks for this wonderful advice , you have said true that locksmith can make that key for cheap. They are the one who can do best with locks and keys.

Its not always obvious for old locks. When manufacturers go away, cylinders arent made or key designs become obsolete a locksmith may be able to do nothing for you. The simple confirmation here was that locksmiths still do typically have compatible keys.  If you look around the toyota motorhome groups you will find plenty of people who have just given up on the lock because they dont have a key.  See jjrbus above here, in this very thread.