unfamiliar tandem rear wheel rig are they rare ??

hunkaman

hi to all.  I came across a rig that has a tandem wheel set up. I am admittedly a relative newcomer, but i do not believe i have seen this wheel arrangement before.  the person that owns it is an elderly woman who has stored it outdoors uncovered for about 8 years.  It is in poor condition, but the motor did start recently. It has the 22r carbed motor with stick shift and 60k on the odometer. the interior is surprisingly in good shape. the exterior is another story. some rust on the hood, and a coach window broken. It is the rear kitchen design with the bathroom behind the drivers seat. I believe it is a 1976 model year and called an "express" not sure about that. It also has two batteries under the hood. anyone out there that has some history on this thing? The owners daughter wants to sell it, not sure if it is economically viable for restoration, possibly for parting out? any comments, feedback, suggestions or info help with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

thanks for the reply jdemaris, that info confirmed that is a "ez rider " model not the Express. in your opinion, is this worth trying to part out?  i am definately not looking for a resto project.

I think any of them are worth parting out if the price is right. Just keep in mind that motorhomes are hard to scrap.  I've never come across a scrap-metal place that would take one unless you paid by the pound to get rid of it.  Too much non-metal, water-soaked parts.  I know a guy that goes around charging to scrap RVs and he gets around $500 to take one from your property and "dispose" of it. He takes them home.  Strips them, and then pours kerosene all over and burns them up.  Then loads what is left on a trailer and then the scrap-yard actually pays a little for it. NOT much. I just scrapped a 4 ton RV last week and got a whopping $72 for it. Scrap metal prices are awful right now.

I just bought a 1978 high-roof Toyota motorhome for $200. I have no idea what it is. I do know it is NOT a Dolphin. Has a style I have never seen before. I was riding around in one the older parts of a local junkyard and saw it in the bushes. Has hornet nests in it so I did not get real close.  The guy who owns the junkyard says he never buys foreign "junk" but this one was driven into his place and given to him for free.  So he parked it in the woods maybe 20 years ago and never touched it since. I looked at a distance and see no rust.  Seems just the truck part is worth $300 for the metal parts if clean.  Whatever it is, it's mine. I just have to find time to go back there before winter with a load of tools and a lot of hornet spray.